Substitute for French Fries

Options
misskate1971
misskate1971 Posts: 27 Member
Every now and then I crave french fries, but the calories & sodium are KILLERS! So, can anyone suggest an alternative to the salty little buggers?

Replies

• jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I sometimes make sweet potato fries.

Let's see if I can remember the recipe:

you slice the sweet potato up in the shape of french fries then you spray them with a cooking spray and then toss with chili powder salt and pepper. Then bake, I think I baked them at 350 for 15-20 minutes, but you might have to experiment with that part a little.

I've seen lots of other recipes for sweet potato fries too on different recipe websites.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i've heard of making cauliflower tater tots! i haven't tried them myself, so i don't know how they turn out, but heres the link.

http://solitarydancer.wordpress.com/2007/06/21/cauliflower-tater-tots/
  • NykoleMazzola
    Options
    ive made fries from a regular potato or my fave....from a sweet potato! found some good recipes on allrecipes :) i just dont have any links right now! if i find them ill send post :)
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    There is no subsitute for french fries!!!:bigsmile:

For mash potatoes I do cauliflower. But when I want french fries, I make my own or wing stop french fries (no seasoning)!!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Slice up a potato, spritz a tiny bit of oil and sprinkle with some sea salt and bake. They are more like steak fries than fast food, but they are hearty and yummy. Enjoy!
  • bubblie117
    bubblie117 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl has a good substitute for them, haven't tried, but heard good things!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/surprises-shockers-and-swaps-bake-tastic-butternut-squash-fries-recipe
  • deviouslady
    Options
    A new family favorite:

wash potatoes, taking out any bad spots and eyes
    cut them into wedges, I try to get 8 slices per potato
    spray with butter-flavor spray
    toss in zipper bag with a package of onion soup mix

bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes on a sprayed cookie sheet or 9x13 pan

stir once or twice during baking
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    YES congrats on avoiding the nasty beloved fries ....TRY THIS I slice up sweet potatoes and spray w olive oil spray use sea salt and bake 350 till tender maybe 25 min. YUMMY
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try these recipes. Thnx for sharing!
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipes
  • misskate1971
    misskate1971 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! They sound so yummy, and I REALLY want to bake up some sweet potato fries soon! Can't tonite...no more calories left & no sweet potatoes at home yet! :) But, they are on my list for this weekend!
  • sexyjeans
    Options
    I make some yummy baked fries that were in Oprah's cookbook years ago. Peel & cut potatoes into strips, dip in egg whites (I flavor the egg whites w/garlic powder & other herbs/spices). Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 450 till crispy. Flip every 10 minutes so they brown evenly. I sprinkle w/salt & eat with ketchup. Yum! :smile:
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Yummy! :tongue:
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    butternut squash with a little sea salt.
    cut thesquash in fry shapes
    spray with pam
    sprinkle a little sea salt
    bake for 20 mins
    flip
    bake for another 20 mins
    enjoy :)
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I did a similar thing just last night. Cut a potato into chips, then sprayed with olive oil spray and a few sprays of spray butter, then sprinkled with Mrs. Dash's Garlic and Herb seasoning. (trying to watch sodium intake). So good, and a little spicy!

110 calories and it was a big serving, seemed like so much more than eating it baked, and just as nutritious!
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    The sweet potatoes fries sound really good. The only sweet potatoes I've ever ate was possibly candied yams, and they weren't made very healthy.
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Julienne cut the fries, dry them off, toss with a little oil(or spray), toss with Emeril's Essence. Spread them out on a screen on top of a cookie sheet and bake at 450F for 10 minutes before turning. Bake an additional 10 minutes and turn again. Bake till done. Usually 5 or so more minutes depending on quantty of fries. When spreading out, try to keep from overlapping any. Salt when they come out of the oven.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Thanks for the Califlower tot recipe might have to try that today sound yummo.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I make some yummy baked fries that were in Oprah's cookbook years ago. Peel & cut potatoes into strips, dip in egg whites (I flavor the egg whites w/garlic powder & other herbs/spices). Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 450 till crispy. Flip every 10 minutes so they brown evenly. I sprinkle w/salt & eat with ketchup. Yum! :smile:

Yum this sounds great too!!
  • coog81855
    Options
    bump