Using Fitbit

Options
I'm a bit confused as to how to use Fitbit with MFP. I don't think it's necessary to add the exercise either on MFP or Fitbit (since Fitbit automatically records activity), but I'm only adding the food on MFP, since the scanner on MFP is better.

But is that correct about the exercise ... not to add it?

Replies

• ArgyleWerewolf
    ArgyleWerewolf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use MFP and FitBit *and* RunKeeper and it was kind of tricky to get them all talking to one another in a way that avoids double-entries. This site helped me a lot: http://www.thedatablogger.com/2014/05/15/syncing-fitbit-runkeeper-and-myfitnesspal/

In a nutshell, it's easiest to record all "exercise events" in MFP, because they'll automatically show up in FitBit too. Just let FitBit count steps.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Link the 2 accounts. When you eat, log the food in MFP and it will send the info over to Fitbit.

I personally only add exercise (on MFP) when it's a non-walk/run activity such as bootcamp because Fitbit will not track steps/activity minutes when you're strength training, or doing yoga, or any exercise that is not "steps".
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If I do a long walk I record it in MFP but only alot 1 calorie for the burn since the actual burn will be included in the FitBit update. You don't have to record exercise at all, but I like to keep track of my long-walks.

Hope this helps.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was having this issue too - I would begin a run on Runkeeper, and then Fitbit would double the active minutes which then gave me more calories burned. I tried asking Fitbit and Runkeeper for help but there was none - finally I disengaged Runkeeper from both MFP and Fitbit (I tried only have it linked to one or the other; still got duplicates) and I use it only for the purpose of the GPS, and I let Fitbit do it's thing on steps and calories.
  • kc5grw
    kc5grw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, Fitbit and MFP together and they are all linked to each other. I don't have a problem with double counting. I only use Runkeeper to track my walk/run workouts and I only enter food into MFP. Fitbit is pretty much attached to my hip and tracks all my steps during the day. I also have Enabled Negative Fitbit calories in MFP.