Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why can't I lose this baby weight?

Hello everyone, after years of reading posts on fitnesspal, I've decided to sign up and post my own question. Hopefully, somebody can help me out.

I am 24 and gave birth 7 months ago to a beautiful, healthy baby boy. However, for 7 months now and after breastfeeding (almost exclusively) for 6 months, I weigh exactly the same as I did one week after giving birth.

My story is this: before I got married, I had managed to lose over 60lbs through healthy eating, exercise and intermittent fasting. I did this because I was diagnosed with PCOS. I also took Metformin. One month after I got married, I got pregnant. Basically on the first month of trying.
However, during my pregnancy, my weight skyrocketed and I gained back all my weight and then some, around 70lbs.
My son has been weaned for nearly 2 months now but I still have not had my period, not even spotting.
For a couple of months now I have been exercising 4-5 times a week for over an hour, doing 45 mins of cardio and 30 mins of strength training.
I am also on a low carb high protein diet and doing Intermittent fasting for 24 hrs twice a week. Basically, what I did to lose the weight before I got pregnant, but nothing is working.
I have done several tests and was told my PCOS is basically not a problem anymore and all my blood work and thyroid level checks out fine. The only issue is I am severely deficient in Vit D and taking a supplement for it now.

Can anyone please help and tell me why I am not losing any weight? I keep losing and gaining the same 4lbs and I am very frustrated.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    You're eating more than you are burning.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Are you logging everything you put in your mouth? Using a food scale to be sure your portions are accurate? If you're eating back exercise calories are you accurately logging them? Do you have your calorie goal set correctly?

Also just having a baby your hormones can be a bit wacky still - might have an effect on the weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    You're eating more than you are burning.
    +1
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    crank the workouts up. Sweat. Look up HIIT workouts on youtube or elsewhere online. It's tough but you've done it once, pretty much - you have to find a way to burn more. Low carb isn't really a plus, neither is fasting. I second getting a food scale.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    It's just weight, baby.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    1. Is it normal for you to not have a period for several months? To me, it's pretty odd to not have a period for almost a year, but I don't know much about PCOS.

2. Log everything you eat and drink. Weigh the food and measure the drinks.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Like others said, it's going to require to you track calories and eat at a deficit to lose weight. Low carb can help in reducing your calories (I've heard that it's especially helpful for people with PCOS, but I don't know why), but it isn't necessarily a requirement for weight loss - many people have lost weight be eating carbs, but maintaining a calorie deficit. But first, you have to know how much you're eating.

I also believe that vit D deficiency can impact weight loss, so that may be part of the issue. How long have you been taking the supplements? Maybe you need to give it some time to work; or maybe you need to check back with the doctor to see if your levels are improving.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    1. Is it normal for you to not have a period for several months? To me, it's pretty odd to not have a period for almost a year, but I don't know much about PCOS.

OP just recently weaned a baby. For many women, menstruation is delayed while breastfeeding and can take several months to resume after weaning. As long as she is being monitored for the PCOS (sounds like she is), it's probably still within normal.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Hypothyroidism?

Edit: Nevermind, I see from your post that your thyroid levels are normal.

I'm 3 months pp and I'm having trouble shedding the baby weight too. You aren't alone.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Hormones, hormones, hormones. I am in the same boat. I did just get my period at 5 months postpartum. I am hypothyroid, have adrenal insufficiency and also suffer from lupus. Get some blood work done and don't give up, it's amazing how it might just be one thing that's slightly off and throws everything else out of whack.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    ^This. I am almost 11 months post partum and have yet to have a period.

That was supposed to quote the post above about women and pp hormones/not having a period.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    OP for me breastfeeding did not help - at all. and I was not able to successfully lose weight until I quit breastfeeding. Also I breastfed for a year and did not get a period at all until I completely weaned my son.

I agree with the food scale thing. Since I began logging more meticulously I have started seeing weight come off. If you eat back your calories I would suggest a HRM. I am currently waiting for mine to come in the mail as I know MFP's calories burnt are way off for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Agree with cranking up the workouts. Put that baby in a stroller and walk - outside, at the mall, wherever. Get some workout tapes and do those. Swim, if you can! Nothing better than swimming.

If you like taking two days to not eat, that's great. But if you want to eat every day, do that.

Next doctor visit, set up a weight loss plan. And make sure they did a full thyroid panel, not just TSH.

Good luck!
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    It's probably a combination of a) hormones and b) calories. Please don't beat yourself up for not being back to your old self just yet, your baby is only 7 months old! Count your calories and work out if it makes you feel good, but don't be too hard on yourself. Be patient, it will come off.

Also, not having a period while breastfeeding is completely normal. Once your hormones balance out and you start to ovulate, your periods will come back.

ETA: Having a full blood work up done isn't a bad idea because sometimes pregnancy sets things off (thyroid, for one) but even if everything comes back in the "normal" range, if one hormone is even slightly off for YOU (even if it's within normal, which is a fairly wide scope) it can affect the way your body is running. It took you 9 months (ish) to grow that baby, give it at least that amount of time to get back into your pre-pregnancy range before getting worked up about it.
  • The fasting may actually be whats keeping you from losing.
    Your body may be storing everything it gets in between fasts because it's gone into starvation mode. That's how my body reacts! and instead of using fat deposits for energy when its in starvation mode, you body will use lean muscle instead..so you could be losing more muscle mass, and that is detrimental to fat burning as well.
    Try eating several times a day consistently giving your body something to burn, as opposed to the fasting.
    Try:
    Breakfast
    light snack
    Lunch
    light snack
    Dinner
    Light snack (easily digested)
    A minimum of 2 litres of water, but not much more than that, as it will flush out the nurtients before they are absorbed.
    No more than 2 hours between eating. Adjust calorie intake at each meal to be pretty balanced. ie: don't eat a huge meal at all...it will feel like you're snacking all day, and that's ok, as long as you stay within your budget.
    What this does is train your body that it will be nourished frequently, and it will start to flush out and use all of it's storage that it had saved up for "starving". This works. I've done it and I've know friends that have lost with this method as well.

Keep track of every morsel that enters your mouth, and weigh in when you're comfortable, but weekly at least.

Good luck.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    The fasting may actually be whats keeping you from losing.
    Your body may be storing everything it gets in between fasts because it's gone into starvation mode. That's how my body reacts! and instead of using fat deposits for energy when its in starvation mode, you body will use lean muscle instead..so you could be losing more muscle mass, and that is detrimental to fat burning as well.
    Try eating several times a day consistently giving your body something to burn, as opposed to the fasting.
    Try:
    Breakfast
    light snack
    Lunch
    light snack
    Dinner
    A minimum of 2 litres of water, but not much more than that, as it will flush out the nurtients before they are absorbed.
    No more than 2 hours between eating. Adjust calorie intake at each meal to be pretty balanced. ie: don't eat a huge meal at all...it will feel like you're snacking all day, and that's ok, as long as you stay within your budget.
    What this does is train your body that it will be nourished frequently, and it will start to flush out and use all of it's storage that it had saved up for "starving". This works. I've done it and I've know friends that have lost with this method as well.

Keep track of every morsel that enters your mouth, and weigh in when you're comfortable, but weekly at least.

Good luck.

No. Starvation mode does not exist.
    IF has been used successfully by many.
    Water is not going to flush out her nutrients.
    She does NOT need to graze all day, your metabolism isn't helped OR harmed by it.

Just so much no in this post :(
  • The fasting may actually be whats keeping you from losing.
    Try:
    Breakfast
    light snack
    Lunch
    light snack
    Dinner

Good luck.

No. Starvation mode does not exist.
    IF has been used successfully by many.
    Water is not going to flush out her nutrients.
    She does NOT need to graze all day, your metabolism isn't helped OR harmed by it.

Just so much no in this post :(

Thank you for saving me the trouble of replying. I was going to reply in exactly the same way.
  • I have done this before so I am not new to losing weight. However, the fact that pretty much no weight is coming off now is new to me.

According to my RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) I burn around 1900 calories a day doing nothing because I weigh around 200lbs atm. Also, I do keep track of my calories and I know that I eat around 1200 calories daily. Also, I have cut out any and all drinks besides ice water, so I am not drinking any extra calories.

I really just wish I knew if this is due to my messed up hormones after giving birth, my Vit D deficiency or what.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I have done this before so I am not new to losing weight. However, the fact that pretty much no weight is coming off now is new to me.

According to my RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) I burn around 1900 calories a day doing nothing because I weigh around 200lbs atm. Also, I do keep track of my calories and I know that I eat around 1200 calories daily. Also, I have cut out any and all drinks besides ice water, so I am not drinking any extra calories.

I really just wish I knew if this is due to my messed up hormones after giving birth, my Vit D deficiency or what.

Your diary isn't open so it's hard to offer advice other than you are eating more than you are burning. :ohwell:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    OP for me breastfeeding did not help - at all. and I was not able to successfully lose weight until I quit breastfeeding. Also I breastfed for a year and did not get a period at all until I completely weaned my son.

I agree with the food scale thing. Since I began logging more meticulously I have started seeing weight come off. If you eat back your calories I would suggest a HRM. I am currently waiting for mine to come in the mail as I know MFP's calories burnt are way off for me.

This! I breastfed for a year, and it screwed up my weight loss. If I ate more, I stalled or gained, but if I ate less, my supply suffered. My period returned at 10 months postpartum.

Since weaning four months ago, I've lost over 20 lbs. I still have a ways to go to get where I was after my first baby because I did 1200 calories/day and got mega skinny after him. I'm not doing 1200 calories/day again because it was MISERABLE. It might get me to goal faster, but it won't help me stay there!