Main meal before or after the gym??

Options
The gym class that I go to doesn't start until 7.30pm, and so I don't get home until about 9 and go to bed around 11. I don't know whether I should eat dinner 2 hours before , around 5.30, and have a snack after my workout, or if its better to snack before and eat dinner later. My concern is that if I eat dinner before I exercise I may feel sick or get indigestion, but if I eat after, then I am eating quite late and close to bed time. Arrgh!

Replies

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Try both ways a see what feels better to you. No right or wrong anser.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat after the gym. My son gets ill if he eats before the gym. We eat around 8 or 9 and go to bed around 11 or 12. Hasn't given me any issues.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't have an effect on weight loss - instead, time your meal for optimal training performance. If you feel that eating before you train will hamper your performance, eat after then. If eating before you go to bed doesn't affect your sleep or give you heartburn (or nightmares lol), then there is nothing wrong with eating after you train.
  • billytierney123
    Options
    sorry
  • billytierney123
    Options
    sorry
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter...whatever works best for you.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat before I lift, it makes me sick. I normally work out and then come home and shower before I eat. If I eat the second I get home, I'll eat everything in sight.
  • billytierney123
    Options
    :explode:
  • billytierney123
    Options
    :explode: [
  • Girl_On_Fire444
    Options
    It's a personal choice, I prefer to eat after my workout. I don't think there is any right or wrong.
  • billytierney123
    Options
    :explode:
  • billytierney123
    Options
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we eat before, but it can feel like a rock in my stomach while working out (esp. cardio). I would have to eat at about 4-4.30 to work out at 7-7.30. Sometimes we'll have a super light supper but a much bigger evening snack after working out. That works too!

You really can just pick what works best for you, based on what you prefer or what you have time for.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat my main meal too soon before going to the gym, so I tend to switch it around when I'm going in the evening. I'll eat my main meal at lunchtime, have a snack a couple of hours before gym and a snack after if I' really hungry ( a protein bar works well for me!) As other posters have said it's trial and error with how it works for your body.