(UK) How much do you spend weekly on shopping?

Options
Also what do you buy? I'm trying to sort out a shopping list and how much I need to spend lol :grumble:

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No idea what prices are over there, but I usually try and spend about $300-$350 every two weeks (Western Canada).
  • rachiealx
    Options
    £40 a week, I live alone. That's including cleaning products, laundry powder, etc.
    I buy always buy bran cereal, almond milk, bananas, apples, grapes, orange juice, salad stuff, chicken, tinned soup, frozen veg, chickpeas, houmous, rice, bread, pototoes and tea. Then I get extra stuff if it's on offer.

I eat pretty much the same thing every day. It's boring, I know, but it works for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Around £80 a week and then I maybe spend an extra £5-10 in the week.... That's for 2 of us.
  • legless11
    legless11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I meal plan for the week and spend average £30 a week, I live alone and i'm skint.

Breakfast is usually porridge or muesli (so those things and milk are on the list).

Packed lunches - salads with egg or meat, houmous and veggies, fruit, pasta salad, bulghur salads.

Dinner - lots of pulses, chicken and quorn when its on offer. veggie curries etc.

herbal tea and greek yoghurt are staples.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I spend way too much. :( I'm a foodie and I love trying new things, so I have the bad habit of picking up anything that catches my interest. Which also drives home the fact that I need a walk in pantry in my next house!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Over the summer I spent about £50 a week (two of us) - lots of salads (salad veg just seems to cost more than winter veg), meat and fish for me. The winter tends to be cheaper (about £40-£45 per week for 2) as I make a lot of stews in bulk with cheaper veg and freeze meals. Weekly shopping includes frozen veg, fresh veg, meat or fish that is on offer (bogofs etc - freeze what I am not using for the future), bread and sandwich stuff (ham, lettuce etc). This spend also includes ice-cream treats (again, dictated by what's on offer). I don't buy a lot of processed stuff. Also love the winter for porridge - so cheap and filling for breakfast.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tend to use the cheaper supermarkets that have good priced basics - Aldi do lovely salads for 89p which I have with an omlette, chicken or ham etc. You probably need to do comparision shopping if budget is important to you. I realise how tragic I am when I won't buy branded items and go to the cheapest place I know to get equivilant. I suppose it depends on where you live as to what choices you can make and how much time you can devote to shopping. i stock up on things in certain shops, like low fat greek yogurt which is 50something pence in one shop and £1.29 in another. Hope this helps. I can't give you a weekly total as some weeks are a lot cheaper than others!
  • 3Alice3
    3Alice3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    About 50 - 70 pound including necessities other than food! That's for two adults and a very hungry toddler :)

I buy things like dried fruit and nuts, yoghurts, tonnes and tonnes of fresh fruit (from fruiterers as it is fresher and cheaper), chicken, pasta, rice, curry sauces, porridge, usually frozen vegetables (I know, I know but it is so much for convenient for now!), brown breads, everything that goes in a salad. Tinned food for emergency days hehe. So much stuff for a small amount of money, I'm very thrifty :D
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For myself and my boyfriend, I spend around $90 a week. We used to spend much, much less. I had a budget of $35 and we made it work. I don't want to go back to that, though. It was rough, and often meant relying on cheap frozen pizzas and sodium heavy soups.
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ugh, too much. Around £120 a week for 2 adults & a 4 year old. Can range from £80-£150 though. But mostly around the 120 mark.
    We tend to eat different meals so that really pushes up the price as OH is a big meat man and won't touch veggies. Little one loves his fruit & I spend ridiculous amounts on prepacked salads / veg / chicken instead of just doing it myself.
    Includes general household goods too & around £25 in diet coke for my partner.

Things on my weekly list without fail food wise are, bananas, apples, grapes, berries, raisins, green beans, broccoli, corn on the cob, yogurts, cheese, grated cheese, bacon, mushrooms, salad pots, fruit pots, around 9 pieces of various meats some from the 3 for £10, wraps, bread, tuna, chicken packets (2 for £5), milk.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say as I live in a city and tend to buy a bag of shopping here and there (I live alone). But I'd estimate a total of around £50-60 per week, which would include cleaning products, cat food, protein powder/bars, toiletries, etc.

A 'basics' food shop will include

Milk
    Greek yoghurt
    Eggs/egg whites
    Vegetables
    Salad (tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, etc)
    Berries
    Tinned fish
    Fresh fish
    Tofu
    Vegetarian sausages
    Cheese
    Soup

and whatever treats I fancy - ice cream, biscuits or chocolate, etc.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Between £80 - £110 per week (Depends whether I need cleaning products etc.)

But typical food shop would look something like...

Veg & fruit (depends what I've planned to make for the week, but typical things are: Lettuce, greens, Stir fry veg pack, onions, garlic, bag of mixed peppers, new potatoes, green beans, cucumber, fresh red chilli's, carrots, mango, cherry tomatoes, pineapple, berries, red grapes, apples, tangerines, banana's)
    Wholemeal pita bread's
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Mixed nuts
    Salmon
    Chorizo ring
    Chicken breast/thighs
    Some form of lean red meat
    Some form of white fish
    Turkey breast mince
    Tinned tomatoes
    Chickpea's
    Tinned mixed beans
    Whole-wheat pasta
    Brown basmati rice
    Couscous
    Sugar free jelly pots
    Rice cakes/crackers
    Fizzy flavoured water
    Ice cream
    Chocolate!

Some of the things I enjoy & make regularly are things like:

Stuffed peppers (stuffed using turkey breast mince, spices, red onion, garlic, rice) with side salad
    Spanish chicken bake (Chicken thighs, spices, halved new potatoes, sliced chorizo, peppers, red onion, garlic all put into a casserole dish and cooked for a couple of hours)
    Pasta (sauce made from anything that I have left over & what needs using in the fridge)
    Teriyaki Salmon fillet with noodles & stir fry veg
    White fish, such as Seabass with roasted garlic potatoes & green beans in tomato, garlic & olive oil sauce
    Omelettes (again, using left overs from fridge)
    Stews

The list could go on & on, but hope it helps a little!
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    40 pounds a week, i live alone.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I spend around £35 a week on grocery shopping, however every 2 weeks I spend £25 on 5kg of chicken breasts. I try and stick to the same meals every week so I can control my eating habits as I find if I deviate from them then I fall off of the wagon & eat rubbish, :(
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    We spend about £90 on food/cat food/cleaning stuff that's for 2 adults and 2 children, I don't think it's that bad But with veg I normally buy frozen unless it's onions, mushrooms, spinach etc.. I always buy tin tomatoes or passata cos I always make my own pasta/Spag Bol etc... sauce.
    I think your own personal budget will also depend on what brands you buy as we buy value but I do know people that will only buy branded stuff and not touch value.
  • spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We spend between $100 and $120 but this frequently lasts closer to two weeks. I would approximate $120 every 10 days or so. This is about 60 pounds according to the interwebs :) We get plenty of fresh fruit and veggies from a coop, but we grow our own salad leaves. We spend probably 1/3 of our budget on meat, whatever is on sale or reduced to clear generally. We get things like tinned tomatoes, dried beans, nuts and plenty of chocolate. This is for two people in general, with several week night meals being eaten by three.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I live alone and spend £30-£35 per week. Things I always have at home are; chicken fillets, turkey steaks, quorn, cod, salmon, veggies (all frozen - broccolli, peas, spinach), salad (tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers) herbs & spices, garlic, wraps, cottage cheese, nuts, eggs, greek yoghurt, various nut butters, coconut milk, pasta, rice, flour, noodles, dark chocolate, sweet potatoes. The £30-£35 also includes any toiletries and cleaning products. Some weeks its more, some weeks its less, but it averages out that around that amount.
  • jenlarkin300384
    jenlarkin300384 Posts: 26 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I live near Birmingham and for 2 adults and a dog, I spend roughly around £50 a week with tesco on shopping.
    I find that meal planning for a whole month stops me buying items for the sake of it.
    I found when I wasn't meal planning my shopping bills were nearer £80-£90 a week, and that didn't include the two takeaways a week either!
    So I highly recommened researching good recipes, (Rosemary conley online have amazing low GI recipes which are easy to make and filling!) sitting down for an hour and make a plan for a month.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You peeps are amazing at this savings thing... I spend around £55 for myself - expensive meats play a massive role
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    I spend £30-40 a week for 2 people (and a cat) on the regular shop (sainsburys), plus an extra £40 once a month at costco for any bulk things so basically £40-£50 a week for 2 people :--) I'm vegan and my partner eats meat which people think would mean buying 2 completely different shopping carts but we eat a lot of the same meals (risotto, pasta, pie, etc) and then just throw meat in theirs!

I save so much more money than I used to by making a weekly meal plan and then just buying the ingredients I need (also stops me buying a bunch of sweets I'll likely pig out on lmao).