Need some advice about my workout routine..

Options
Hey everyone! I started working out in June with a starting weight of 198. I hadn't lost much weight til July end. I decided to start Insanity, it was the greatest decision I could've made. I am now 170 lbs! I still want to lose atleast 10 more lbs. I am wondering if it is a good decision to switch over to P90x now, since my goal has switched from intense weight loss to more of a gain muscle and lose weight along the way type of routine. Let me know if this sounds like a good idea, or should I continue with Insanity until I get the bf % / weight I desire, and then move onto muscle building?

Thanks!

Replies

• jimvic37
    Options
    I would tell you it doesn't matter what program you use at this point. You've done well so far so I wouldn't change my program. What you've probably done is what most have done and that is get into the program well but have been 100% focused on the diet. Now when I say diet please know I hate that word with a passion but the true meaning of the word is what we eat. So I suggest you really look at your food intake. Now I'm not saying you need to starve yourself because that is not the case. Heck you may not be eating enough? No what I would suggest you do is make sure you aren't taking in processed foods. This is pretty easy to do since all you really need to do is do all your shopping around the perimeter of the store. Buy food that does not have a label. After all do you really need a label if you are eating real food? I stick to meet, vegetable, nuts, seeds and fruit. If that sounds familiar well it's that Paleo way of eating and it's served me and my wife very well. I bought into it way before my wife did and I witnessed her frustration. She was so frustrated watching me loose 60 pounds while she sat on her plateau and was totally stuck. Well after whining and complaining for what seemed life forever she finally got serious about her food intake and it changed her world.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I started working out in June with a starting weight of 198. I hadn't lost much weight til July end. I decided to start Insanity, it was the greatest decision I could've made. I am now 170 lbs! I still want to lose atleast 10 more lbs. I am wondering if it is a good decision to switch over to P90x now, since my goal has switched from intense weight loss to more of a gain muscle and lose weight along the way type of routine. Let me know if this sounds like a good idea, or should I continue with Insanity until I get the bf % / weight I desire, and then move onto muscle building?

Thanks!
    Impossible to gain muscle and lose weight along the way. Your either losing fat and minimum muscle(deficit), Gaining muscle and minimal fat(bulk), maintaining(not gain weight), or just gain fat. Anybody or info commercial that tells you different, is lying to you.

It seems most people are a little bummed that they weren't doing some kind of lifting routine during their deficit when they hit their goal. It seems mostly because they are scared at the fact that they will gain weight, but its really nothing to worry about as long as your diet is on point and you don't shift gears to quickly.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Thanks!
    Impossible to gain muscle and lose weight along the way. Your either losing fat and minimum muscle(deficit), Gaining muscle and minimal fat(bulk), maintaining(not gain weight), or just gain fat. Anybody or info commercial that tells you different, is lying to you.

It seems most people are a little bummed that they weren't doing some kind of lifting routine during their deficit when they hit their goal. It seems mostly because they are scared at the fact that they will gain weight, but its really nothing to worry about as long as your diet is on point and you don't shift gears to quickly.
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Thanks!

I'm going to "lie" to you and tell you that the muscle soreness you felt was a lie. You weren't actually tearing fibers and healing to build them back up. That was all in your head....it's stupid to say you can only bulk or cut. That's bro science. When I was a gymnast I didn't get a six pack from pure cardio or pure lifting. It was a combination of both strength and aerobic exercise. Just like p90x. I went from 150 lbs and a chubby bunny at a sedentary lifestyle no workouts to 135 lbs and could do things I never could before strength wise.

P90x can be hard on your body if done all the time, your body will adjust to what your currently doing so switching it up may benefit you, but also if its still working why change it? Also amazing job on completing the program!!!
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    It's true that your body will react better to one or the other way of
    Training and it takes a while to change that, but unless your at a healthy to low body fat already you won't need to bulk to add muscle, eat at a maintenance if your currently in a deficit and cut cardio to two sessions a week...if you want to change it up