Addicted to peanuts

I just can't stop. I started buying them a few weeks ago as a healthy protein jumpstart snack and I've gone crazy with them. Peanuts are high in calorie and fat. I'm always on the go so they're easy to bring along. When I eat them, I become energized and my body goes crazy! It's the most satisfying thing I eat. Am I really that fat and protein depleted??? When I feel week, they make me feel strong. I have to stop though because the calories are way to high. I'm at the bottom so they'll be gone tomorrow and I decided that I won't buy them anymore. But why am I going crazy over them? Has anyone else experienced this??? It's not hunger I'm feeling- it's like a nutritional need.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Oh god yesss! I muched my way through over 1800 cals in peanuts the last week!

I will NOT be purchasing a bag this week! :noway:
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Oh god yesss! I muched my way through over 1800 cals in peanuts the last week!

I will NOT be purchasing a bag this week! :noway:

Yes! Lesson learned. Leave them on the shelf!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I love peanuts...I can't eat too many because they don't agree with my tummy. Same for peanut butter.
    That being said I can't have them in the house because I will overeat!

Only single servings for me.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    I just can't stop. I started buying them a few weeks ago as a healthy protein jumpstart snack and I've gone crazy with them. Peanuts are high in calorie and fat. I'm always on the go so they're easy to bring along. When I eat them, I become energized and my body goes crazy! It's the most satisfying thing I eat. Am I really that fat and protein depleted??? When I feel week, they make me feel strong. I have to stop though because the calories are way to high. I'm at the bottom so they'll be gone tomorrow and I decided that I won't buy them anymore. But why am I going crazy over them? Has anyone else experienced this??? It's not hunger I'm feeling- it's like a nutritional need.

You might want to try All Natural Skippy Peanut butter with honey, and toss the bag of peanuts. Peanuts are definitely satisfying they clear up the hunger pangs, but too much is going to pack on the weight.

I will do a tablespoon or two out of the jar of Peanut butter, and that keeps me going and has the exact same effect as what you described.

Peanut butter out of the jar is the "fit girls" ice cream out of the pint.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Not fond of peanuts, but I crave most other nuts. I simply have to buy small snack sizes as if I buy a large container I wipe them out quick and those calories add up.
  • cinds77
    cinds77 Posts: 18
    I had to stop buying peanuts a while ago as well, they're just too hard to stop eating! I never got that hit of energy that you get from them though, I wonder what's causing that???
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    I have a friend who says he's addicted to them as well. Yes, they're high in calories so you have to watch out. Everything in moderation.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    [/quote]

You might want to try All Natural Skippy Peanut butter with honey, and toss the bag of peanuts. Peanuts are definitely satisfying they clear up the hunger pangs, but too much is going to pack on the weight.

I will do a tablespoon or two out of the jar of Peanut butter, and that keeps me going and has the exact same effect as what you described.

[/quote]

Why is peanut better going to be any better than peanuts, especially with sugar (honey) added?

OP - there are some foods I just can't have in the house for this reason. Have you tried PB2? It's dehydrated peanuts and comes in a powder form that you mix with water. The dehydration process removes a large amount of the fat. It's only 42 cals per 2 tablespoons of powder
  • jane21480
    jane21480 Posts: 104 Member
    I stopped buying peanut butter last year. I am sure I will be tempted again for some this winter... It is a winter comfort food
    to me. I will hold tight to the shopping cart and try to make a fast get away at the grocery store.
    Now I will buy the peanuts in the shell. I feel if I have to shell them I will eat less. 1) it takes time to shell
    2) it can make a bit of a mess on the counter with all those shells.
    So I count out 20 peanuts...yep, I count them, but the rest of the bag away, shell the 20, eat and be done.
    Only allow myself this 3 times a week. Some weeks I don't eat any at all. I tend to not want to deal with it, so that must
    mean I really don't need it as much as my "mindless" eating thinks i do...LOL
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I stopped buying peanut butter last year. I am sure I will be tempted again for some this winter... It is a winter comfort food
    to me. I will hold tight to the shopping cart and try to make a fast get away at the grocery store.
    Now I will buy the peanuts in the shell. I feel if I have to shell them I will eat less. 1) it takes time to shell
    2) it can make a bit of a mess on the counter with all those shells.
    So I count out 20 peanuts...yep, I count them, but the rest of the bag away, shell the 20, eat and be done.
    Only allow myself this 3 times a week. Some weeks I don't eat any at all. I tend to not want to deal with it, so that must
    mean I really don't need it as much as my "mindless" eating thinks i do...LOL

Totally agree with buying nuts in the shell. It takes longer to eat them so you feel satisfied with way less than if you just reach in for a handful of de-shelled nuts. I tend to go for almonds and walnuts though.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    I'm addicted to peanut butter. I wish I wasn't...but it's just soo good!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm just going to leave this here.... www.myoatmeal.com. No, I'm not trying to sell you anything. But, I am shamelessly supporting this company, who happily supports my "peanut butter addiction". I ordered 3 bags last month.... 3! Why do i need 3 bags?!?!? Because there's so many freaking flavor combinations and I just kept clicking and damn PayPal makes it so easy! GHAH!!!! Anyway, you can have like, 4 times as much for the same amount of calories, so sorry Teddy Naturals - you are gonna be on that shelf for a while, i have found a new love!
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Macademia nuts here!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    I am glad I am not alone with the nut addiction. I never really ate many peanuts, walnuts or almonds prior to my life style change. I just never bought them until now. What the hell? I love nuts of any kind apparently and I too can not stop at just a 1/4 cup which in most cases equals 180 calories. I have about a 1/2 cup left and I will probably quit purchasing them since I can eat an entire can in one sitting. With winter quickly approaching I can see this will not end well if I do not break up with the my favorite snack by the end of this week. LOL
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I know how you feel. If peanut butter is in my house, I won't stop eating it until it's completely gone... despite if I'm over calories or not.

I truly have an addiction to it and I don't allow it in my house anymore, lol.
  • raw peanuts are really good for you. like every thing, keep it in moderation; you don't have to take it out of your diet
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    My crack right here...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMk_WP7H2XsEI8WB0w8rpVPl6jRlr_y_eD6JkJxNbAkcnQZnQV
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    When I first started to recover from my ED, my nutritionist wanted me to incorporate nuts into daily eating. I found that I would intend to eat a few almonds or peanuts to stave off hunger, but I could NEVER stop. After some review, my nutritionist told me that this could be because I wasn't getting enough protein from other sources. Maybe if you crave peanuts, you could toss a nice serving in some yogurt, or maybe in a salad? Or you could combine some peanuts, pretzels and other snacks to make a trail mix. Having other foods with the nuts might make them more satisfying
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    be careful not to cut out peanuts altogether, because that brings out the binge monster. I love peanut butter, and now have it regularly after avoiding it for a long while. If I have the food often, i dont go crazy when I have it.
  • This content has been removed.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    hearthwood wrote: »

You realize there are more calories in a spoonful of peanut butter than a spoonful of ice cream right?

I mean, I can dip a spoon into PB and come out with 180 calories worth of deliciousness......or I can have a whole bowl of Edy's Slow Churned for that.

This really isn't great advice.

OP - instead, try weighing and measuring your peanuts and portion them out into daily servings.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    hearthwood wrote: »

You realize there are more calories in a spoonful of peanut butter than a spoonful of ice cream right?

I mean, I can dip a spoon into PB and come out with 180 calories worth of deliciousness......or I can have a whole bowl of Edy's Slow Churned for that.

This really isn't great advice.

OP - instead, try weighing and measuring your peanuts and portion them out into daily servings.

Also, this fit girl's ice cream is ice cream. :laugh:
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Love peanuts, peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc. etc..........I am doomed
  • I love almonds and pistachios
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Do you feel like selling your mom's jewelry for peanuts? Or perhaps giving handies in back alleys for peanuts? If so, then you definitely have a problem.
  • kamurray6
    kamurray6 Posts: 7 Member
    I love peanuts, especially the chili peanuts. I can't have them around me. They are like sugar - I'll eat every last one until they are gone. I tried rationalizing that they are a healthy snack, but was eating way too many and not losing any weight.
  • This content has been removed.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    This is enlightening. I was never a fan of peanuts/peanut butter b4 losing weight. Now, I crave them. I always have dry roasted peanuts in the house now and have 1/4 cup of them every day. I have often wondered why I crave them now, and never before.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    If I buy a bag of mixed unsalted nuts and raisins, I can guarantee it will be gone within an hour. Lost count of the times I have downed a good 1200 calories in a go.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    If I buy a bag of mixed unsalted nuts and raisins, I can guarantee it will be gone within an hour. Lost count of the times I have downed a good 1200 calories in a go.

Are you low on fat?