Long commute

Options
Any suggestions to motivate me to work out more- I have a long commute to work (1.5 hrs each way) and am too tired to do anything after that. I leave at 630 in AM and have no time to do anything. I try to sneak in 2-3 smalls runs in the week at work but I have no strength training going on. I feel so lazy and weak..

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If you WANT something, you do it. That's your motivation.

My DW drives 1.25 hours a day for commute and after work she dances (ballroom) for about 2-2.5 hours daily. She doesn't have to, she does it because she wants to. Doing this helped her to lose 30lbs and she's the leanest she's been in 20 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Mine's an hour each way (yay, Southern California!), and I change into my workout clothes at work before I get in the car. I feel really stupid wearing them and NOT working out, so if I put them on at work, it makes me way less likely to skip my workout.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Mine's 1-2 hours depending on if there's an express train. And I work four 12 hour shifts. So I dunno, I just lose an hour of sleep and go after work.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am in So Cal too. I was very committed too but somehow it all slowly faded with summer schedules, crazy heat in SO Cal. All my friends took motivation from me. I looked so darn fit earlier this year. Ran a few races too. Since July its been a downhill. Hopefully I will find the will power to get back in routine.
  • kattaw
    kattaw Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So this isn't really a workout by any means, but I'll incorporate some of these when I have a long drive (exercises to do in the car - some you can do while driving, others not so much).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bKRNVC62O0

Maybe if you stay active on the way home, you'll feel more energized afterward?
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I used to drive 75 min each way to work. My solution, at the time, was to join a small chain 24 hr gym and would go there over lunch for 30-40 min. I kept healthier snacks at the desk, but it was tough. I remember all too well.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I used to have a long commute and I found a gym by the office. That way I could work out instead of dealing with rush hour so win-win. It was great except for when my car started to smell like sweat all the time!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, you're in Tustin? I work in Orange. Gotta love how my 20-mile commute takes me a d@mn hour!

For awhile, I had a gym membership close to work, and went to the gym right after work. Missing that first hour of traffic cut my commute down to 30-40 minutes. I've also driven to work an hour early and worked out before starting my day in order to miss rush hour, but depending on traffic that might not help you at all.