No dairy?

MommaPaz
MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I am trying to eliminate all Dairy from my diet for a few weeks to see if the milk protein is what is causing my daughter's excessive spit up and diaper rash. (She is exclusively breastfed). I've been doing this for 4 days now and am running out of ideas of things to eat. So if you don't do dairy, what do you do? I used to start my day with greek yogurt and have switched to oatmeal. My other meals are getting pretty boring as well. I'm finding it difficult to get enough calcium each day and sometimes am seriously lacking in protein. (not good when breastfeeding!)
To add to my problem I am in a wedding tomorrow and have the rehersal dinner tonight, and the wedding meal tomorrow... how do I know what I can and can't eat? I am seriously so stressed about this so if anybody has any advice or experience please help!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I have started using almond milk instead of milk. However, keep in mind that almond milk has less protein per serving.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    look up some vegan recipes / cookbooks. You can always add meat to them but they will be dairy free. Start by eating things you normally would by omitting or substituting the dairy. You can even get vegan bread at some health food stores and non dairy cheese, milk, egg substitute, everything. Also look into a good calcium supplement and add lots of rich greens to your diet (high in calcium and iron).
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Hi there,

I have lots of experience cooking without dairy.
    Please feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions .

As far as your wedding event, it shouldn't be too hard to skip the dairy. If it's an a-la-carte thing, just tell your waiter that you're lactose intolerant and he/she will advise you. If it's a buffet-style dinner, you should avoid all white sauces, cheeses (obviously), and most desserts.
  • laceyk87
    laceyk87 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there, just got on this site. I am now dieting dairy free, no milk, no cheese, etc. I wanted to tell you though as a infant my mother had to give me goats milk because I did the same thing. That's another reason why I'm getting rid of dairy as an adult because of possible food reactions with my sinuses or something..anyways just trying it out.
  • RCW79
    RCW79 Posts: 2
    Almond milk & rice milk are great alternatives to make smoothies with, then add a rice protein powder (Whole Foods) to increase the nutrients and protein. Try to stay away from soy as well, that aggravates any asthma tendencies. Green veggies are great sources of protein. Also, one last note, quinoa is a very good source: make it in a tabouleh recipe or add cinnamon and agave nectar for breakfast.
  • My boyfriend is allergic to dairy, so usually I cook without it when I'm around him. He drinks soy, and it's actually not that hard to avoid dairy in our meals. I've got quite a few recipes that are dairy-free, or have been modified to be that way. I've even made cakes that are dairy-free for him! If you need any meal ideas, feel free to message me or add me as a friend!

Also, I don't drink milk (though I have no dietary issues with it, I just don't like it) - instead I have a spoonful of liquid calcium in the morning. I'm trying to get my boyfriend to do that as well, but he keeps forgetting. Almonds are another good way to get calcium, I add them into my salads.

As for the wedding, like others have said, just say you have an intolerance and they'll help you out. My boyfriend has come with me to many parties (weddings, company parties, etc), and places are always really good about allergies/intolerances. They just tell him what he can and can't have, or they give him a different salad dressing. It's not hard to avoid if you're willing to admit an intolerance / ask questions.

The hardest times to avoid dairy are when you're out - you can control what you cook at home, but at restaurants you have to speak up and ask. Just don't be afraid to do that. :-)

Hope that all helps!
This discussion has been closed.