Steel Cut Oats

Options
I eat steel cut oats every morning for breakfast. Usually, on Sunday night, I make a big pot of overnight steel cut oats which will last me through the week. I just microwave one serving each morning. I usually add either (a) 1 tsp of light brown sugar and 1 tsp of honey and a dash of cinnamon or (b) a dollop of my homemade almond butter or (c) blueberries. What else do you guys add to your steel cut oats to increase the flavor while keeping it healthy.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I usually cook mine by soaking 1 c steel cut oats with 4 c liquid (recently 1 c almond milk + 3 c water but I used to make it creamier) and add cinnamon and 3 tsp brown sugar during the cooking process. Makes 4 servings.

Yesterday we had it with sliced banana and pecan halves, which was awesome.

Usual toppings at my house are dried cranberries, chopped walnuts...blueberries, as you mentioned...or cooked chopped apples & more cinnamon...sometimes a tiny bit of sugar free syrup.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Could any one tell me Whats the difference between steelcut oats and ...other oats?

ok google was my friend.

Mostly the porridge here is made from rolled oats. I think they take some bits off the groat rather than with steel cut, they cut up the whole groat
  • mindy217
    Options
    I am trying steel cut oats for the first time, but I bought the 3 minute quick oats. Is that as good nutrition, as the regular steel cut oats? Look forward to seeing what everyone adds to their steel oats.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I add the same things to steel cut oats as I add to rolled oats

apples, cinnamon, and sweetener of choice.

strawberries, vanilla and sweetener of choice.

Chopped dried fruits

almonds,chopped yellow dates and coconut (ZOMG!!!!!)

I also only cook mine for 20ish minutes.. I like them on the crunchier side
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats taste chewier and are also lower on the glycemic index so your blood sugar doesn't spike as much. And Costco has Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Organic Steel Cut Oats (the best!!) for $7.99 for a 112 ounce bag!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    add 1/4 cup no fat plain greek yogurt, a scoop of vanilla flavoured whey isolate, a handful of chopped pecans and walnuts
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My mother in law makes a really good soup with steel cut oats. It's kind of like a beef-barley tasting thing. Really delicious.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    A couple tablespoons of canned pie filling, pumpkin butter, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar, brown sugar and half and half, homemade cinnamon apples, dried cranberries, maple syrup and crumbled bacon.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Funny...I'm sitting in front of my computer right now, eating my steel cut oats.

I usually add either frozen berries or fresh fruit (today it's banana) and a splash of almond milk. A bit of honey too if I feel like it.

I make mine in the slow cooker overnight, in mason jars. Great to grab one in the morning, screw on a lid and run out the door for my hour long commute.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Steel cut oats taste chewier and are also lower on the glycemic index so your blood sugar doesn't spike as much. And Costco has Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Organic Steel Cut Oats (the best!!) for $7.99 for a 112 ounce bag!
    Agreed. I love the chewiness of steel cut oats, with the bit of crunch. And Bob's Red Mill are definitely the best.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually make up a batch of steel cut oats on Sunday or Monday night and eat a half cup each morning. Because I have a sweet tooth, I like throwing in about a half tablespoon of chocolate and/or peanut butter chips in before I microwave. The chips melt and give me a little kick of sweetness and flavor that goes a long way. Yeah, there's other ways to get that with less calories, but I like this way. :-)
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i love adding dark chocolate cocoa powder to mine, as well as some pumpkin spice, and usually some peanut butter as well. may sound like a strange mixture but i love it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Haven't made this for a few months but this is the recipe I used for a while:

3 cups water
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 granny smith apple, cored and diced (leave peel on)
    1 small-medium sweet potato, peeled and diced very small
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    1 tsp each ground cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg

Cook on low in crockpot for about 5 hours. Makes 6 serving, about 1 cup each.

I've also used raisins, craisins, almonds and other types of apples. I'm sure walnuts would be good but I'm allergic to them. Tried bananas once but I prefer them added after. IMHO, the spices are important - left them out once by accident and it just wasn't the same.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I make mine with water, not milk. And I eat them .... plain. I guess I'm too stingy with my calories to add more to the oats which I think are great on their own. I do NOT like the quick cooking varieties of steel cut, nor do I like the rolled oats at all. Guess I'm kind of a purist when it comes to my oats, which I have almost every morning for breakfast.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch (with water) and reheat in the morning. I top it with some plain greek yogurt, fruit of some kind, and a bit of vanilla protein powder as a sweetener.
  • southernbuttercup
    southernbuttercup Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to add some vanilla flavored yogurt, slivered almonds, shredded coconut and some cinnamon. Sometimes I add some peanut butter.
  • slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    chopped banana and/or maple syrup and/or ground flaxseed and/or peanut butter and/or blueberries
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I add apples and raisins to mine.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I love them but I only made them once. Never again. No patience for the kitchen.