What am I doing wrong???

Options
Ok, so before I explain my situation i'm going to give a bunch of background information...

About a year and 2 months ago, I weighed about 275 pounds (5ft 9 by the way) , was constantly eating fast food, drinking tons of soda, sitting around all day doing nothing.

I went for a physical and my doctor said I needed to start exercising because if I kept it up my current habits I would run into a lot of health problems. So I started to go to the gym August 2013. When I first started going, I really had no idea what I was doing, I would work out different muscle groups different days obviously but had no workout plan or anything. I also would do like 10-15 minutes of cardio. I went back to the doctors office for a checkup in either October or early November of 2013 and I weighed 247lbs. I eventually over time started doing a lot more cardio (45-60 minutes a day) and around January and February of 2014 I was around 230lbs.

Throughout the entire time period that I lost 45lbs, I was still eating fast food 2x a week. This was only because the place I work at buys lunch for everybody and 2 days a week they would go to Wendys or Taco Bell instead of the deli like on the other days.

Since winter, I have barely lost any weight at all. In the beginning of the summer, I was getting really frustrated and pissed off about the whole situation, and I started to change my workouts and stuff. I started to also do some running instead of either walking or using the elliptical for cardio.

This kid at the gym told me something about intermittent fasting so I decided to research it and tried it out. I started this towards the end of July and within a couple weeks I had lost around 5 pounds. September came along and I was just really burnt out from going to the gym, so I decided to take a week off....1 week turned into 2....2 turned into 3....3 turned into 4, and after pretty much a full month of eating not so healthy and not working out, I decided to go back.

I weighed myself on Friday and I was 229lbs, after my first week back. I ate pretty unhealthy this weekend and I apparently weigh 236 now, which doesnt sound right, probably just water weight.

Now the main point of this whole post....Why am I not losing any weight anymore? As of today im starting to intermittent fast again.

My current workout plan is
M : 15 mins of warmup cardio, Chest/Tris/Shoulders 30 Mins of assorted cardio (running,bike,elliptical etc..)
T : 15 mins of warmup cardio, Back/Bis , 30 Mins of assorted cardio (running,bike,elliptical etc..)
W : 15 mins of warmup cardio, Legs/Abs, 30 Mins of assorted cardio (running,bike,elliptical etc..)
T : 15 mins of warmup cardio, Chest/Tris/Shoulders, 30 Mins of assorted cardio (running,bike,elliptical etc..)
F : 15 mins of warmup cardio, Back/Bis, 30 Mins of assorted cardio (running,bike,elliptical etc..)
S : 15 mins of warmup cardio, Legs/Abs, 30 Mins of assorted cardio (running,bike,elliptical etc..)
S : 45 mins - 60 mins of assorted cardio (running,bike,elliptical etc..)

As for supplements go I usually drink a whey protein shake after working out and I also take : Fish oil pills, Garcinia Cambogia, CLA, Optimen Vitamins, and BCAA pills.

I eat around 1800-2000 calories a day, don't eat fast food anymore, and pretty much only drink water.

Why have I barely lost any weight at all since the winter when a few months prior to that I was rapidly losing weight while still eating pretty unhealthy??

Thanks
-Billy

Replies

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For starters, while exercise is good for fitness and toning, weight loss is 80% what you stick in your mouth. Work out how many calories you SHOULD be consuming, record your food accurately for a month (every single thing you eat, including weighing quantities) and then see if it's "not working".
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you track your food/weigh every item you eat? You're probably eating more than you think.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Do you track your food/weigh every item you eat? You're probably eating more than you think.

^^ This. Also, you can drop every one of the supplements you're taking except for the multivitamin.
  • Billy4269
    Options

During that whole month I was intermittent fasting yes I was counting calories and during that month I lost 5ish pounds.

I just started counting calories again also..

But I just don't get how I ate unhealthy not counting calories at all while only doing 10-15 minutes of cardio a day and dropped 45 pounds but now that I don't eat unhealthy and do count calories and do triple the amount of cardio and can barely lose weight..
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

During that whole month I was intermittent fasting yes I was counting calories and during that month I lost 5ish pounds.

But I just don't get how I ate unhealthy not counting calories at all while only doing 10-15 minutes of cardio a day and dropped 45 pounds but now that I don't eat unhealthy and do count calories and do triple the amount of cardio and can barely lose weight..

Because it all boils down to calories in / calories out. It doesn't matter where those calories come from.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Weights bro! Lift heavy! Also should take you at least 45 min to do so properly. Cardio is a warm up. Eat clean. See what happens (uh... Gains in MUSCLE).
  • Billy4269
    Options

Because it all boils down to calories in / calories out. It doesn't matter where those calories come from.

I'm obviously not a fitness expert and i'm not trying to be argumentative but using that logic that "it doesn't matter where those calories come from." that means that you would be able to eat fast food, junk food, drink soda etc... for your entire calorie intake per day and still be able to lose weight..
  • NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    You never take any days off. I don't know but that sounds like a lot to put your body through. Maybe you need a little rest so your body can do its thing.

I'm new to all of this, though. So I could be wrong. I've just heard our bodies need rest days.
  • Billy4269
    Options
    Weights bro! Lift heavy! Also should take you at least 45 min to do so properly. Cardio is a warm up. Eat clean. See what happens (uh... Gains in MUSCLE).

Thats about how long it takes me to do a complete workout (not including cardio obviously). Usually 45 mins - 1 hour of strength training.
  • malibu927
    Options

How do you determine the amount of calories you're eating? As you've seen, you can still eat fast food and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. If you're eating too many calories, exercise won't help you out.
  • AJ_G
    Options

I'm obviously not a fitness expert and i'm not trying to be argumentative but using that logic that "it doesn't matter where those calories come from." that means that you would be able to eat fast food, junk food, drink soda etc... for your entire calorie intake per day and still be able to lose weight..

Correct
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

From strictly a weight loss point of view, yes that is correct. It is a law of physics all humans are bound to. Expend more calories than you consume = weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh and measure everything so you know exactly how many calories you're eating. Once in a caloric deficit, you will lose. WTG on the 45!
  • AJ_G
    Options

From strictly a weight loss point of view, yes that is correct. It is a law of physics all humans are bound to. Expend more calories than you consume = weight loss.

Thermodynamics for the win!
  • Billy4269
    Options

Correct

That just doesn't make sense to me...So if i'm working out and doing cardio every day and need to consume 2000 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week that means that i'd still be able to lose that weight at the same rate if all 2000 of those calories came from big macs and taco bell burritos?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, calories in, calories out is all that matters.

For health and fitness, what you eat and exercise matters.

If you eat too many calories of "healthy" food, you will gain weight.

Figure out how many calories you should be eating, log accurately, and give it a month to see if you get back to losing.

And congrats on the weight you already lost!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you realize also that the more you weigh the more calories you burn? So i run a lot and now that i lost a decent amount of weight i burn so much less per mile. You need to weigh/measure everything you consume. if you don't your really not aware of your calories.
  • malibu927
    Options

Correct

That just doesn't make sense to me...So if i'm working out and doing cardio every day and need to consume 2000 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week that means that i'd still be able to lose that weight at the same rate if all 2000 of those calories came from big macs and taco bell burritos?

Yep. You would probably be missing out on some key micronutrients and your sodium would be skyhigh, but...well, I won't say a calorie is a calorie because that's a huge debate on these forums, but you would still be eating less than you burn and would lose weight.
  • dsavila
    dsavila Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about paying attention to your carbs, fat and sodium intake as well as calories? I found that once I cut my carb intake to a reasonable 50 carbs a day and fat below 40 grams my weight loss was much faster. Along with doing HIIT for 30 minutes 5 days a week, it has changed my metabolism entirely! Google HIIT for some sample workouts, it's great. I've lost 35 pounds in the last 12 weeks. Most of all keep working!
  • AJ_G
    Options

Correct

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, or it's not intuitive, but it's science. The beautiful thing about science is that whether you believe it or not, it's still true.