surgery sucks

Options
i worked so hard to get fit and have a nice flat belly. now i have a bloated gassy belly from the gas they pumped in me. not to mention i am somehow 5lbs heavier in 3 days. i cant wear my toddler on my back, take long walks or go hiking again yet and i dont know when i can! this makes me feel restricted and stressed. i am getting so close to the finish line. i feel like this is a setback beyond my control :(

Replies

• troublemaker47
    Options
    The air will work its way out and the 5 pounds is probably the iv fluids they gave you in surgery. Give your self sometime and I bet you will go back to where you were. You do have to give yourself the time to heal.
  • tiam1980
    Options
    Big hugs to you!! I know how you feel. :(

I had surgery on my left ankle a few weeks ago and went up a few pounds from the swelling and inactivity. Plain and simple: it sucked BUT it's just a little hiccup and part of your body adjusting to the trauma of the surgery and it's after effects. You will get through this and everyday you'll feel better and be more able to get back to your normal daily activities. Just think of it as your body healing and stay on track with everything else. It will get easier to be more active as you heal and you'll be back to yourself in no time. :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    What kind of surgery did you have that they pumped gas into you? Do you mean anesthetic gas? That goes in your lungs and you breathe it out, it doesn't stay there nor does it go in your belly unless there's a hole in your lung.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It does suck, but this is a very very temporary setback. The gas will dissipate and the bloat will go away, and the 5lbs will be water retention because they filled you up with fluids. You'll be right as rain in no time. In the meantime, go easy on yourself and heal well. A little while of inconvenience now is way better than pushing yourself and doing yourself a mischief which will last.

To the person who asked - for some abdominal surgery like gall bladder etc where they use a keyhole method, they pump your gut cavity full of gas to give themselves more room to move about without everything squishing together. It's quite weird!
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What kind of surgery did you have that they pumped gas into you? Do you mean anesthetic gas? That goes in your lungs and you breathe it out, it doesn't stay there nor does it go in your belly unless there's a hole in your lung.

Google "laparoscopic surgery." Not a lot of air remains inside, but enough for patients to feel uncomfortable/bloated.