What am I doing wrong???

Options
2»

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    How about paying attention to your carbs, fat and sodium intake as well as calories? I found that once I cut my carb intake to a reasonable 50 carbs a day and fat below 40 grams my weight loss was much faster. Along with doing HIIT for 30 minutes 5 days a week, it has changed my metabolism entirely! Google HIIT for some sample workouts, it's great. I've lost 35 pounds in the last 12 weeks. Most of all keep working!

Your weight loss was fast because you lost water weight due to glycogen depletion. It's also not healthy to limit fat calories to a low number. Dietary fat is very important for your health. In terms of body composition (fat loss) all that matters is calorie deficit. Most people say they want to lose weight, but really they want to lose fat. Low carb diets aren't any better for fat loss than a balanced diet with a calorie deficit.
  • dsavila
    dsavila Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    funny, because I lost 4% body fat and before I paid attention to my micronutrients I lost about a pound a week, now it's at least 3. I didn't lose 35 pounds of water.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    funny, because I lost 4% body fat and before I paid attention to my micronutrients I lost about a pound a week, now it's at least 3. I don't carry 35 pounds of water.

You're consuming less than 50g of carbs a day, I guarantee you're depleting glycogen stores. Every gram of glycogen binds to 3 grams of water so when you deplete glycogen there is a relatively large amount of weight lost through water. I'm not saying you're not also losing fat as well as muscle, cause you are, but to claim that you tripled your rate of fat loss with the same calorie intake by adjusting macronutrients is absurd...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    funny, because I lost 4% body fat and before I paid attention to my micronutrients I lost about a pound a week, now it's at least 3. I don't carry 35 pounds of water.

You're consuming less than 50g of carbs a day, I guarantee you're depleting glycogen stores. Every gram of glycogen binds to 3 grams of water so when you deplete glycogen there is a relatively large amount of weight lost through water. I'm not saying you're not also losing fat as well as muscle, cause you are, but to claim that you tripled your rate of fat loss with the same calorie intake by adjusting macronutrients is absurd...

What he said. Losing three pounds a week is not healthy and probably not sustainable.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything you consume. Log it accurately.
    As far as weight loss goes, it makes no difference what you eat. It comes down to calories in verse calories out. Eat at a reasonable yet responsible deficit, and you'll lose weight.
    You can drop the diet pill your taking, your wasting your time and money with garcinia cambogia or whatever.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I read the whole post (except the dily details, which I skimmed), but lost track of where you stopped losing. No matter. If you aren't losing, you have to eat less and/or move more. All the talk on all the websites of all the fitness gurus will always, always, ALWAYS boil down to that: eat less and/or move more.

As I've now lost the amount of weight Oprah had when she wheeled her Wagon O Fat on stage, I've been thinking a lot about how people lose and gain it back and how to not become one of those people. Also about how all the money in the world won't help. It'll buy you the best doctors, full-time personal trainers to work you and chefs to make you the yummiest healthy food. It'll buy you your own gym with all the latest, high-tech, most awesome machines. And it'll buy you workout clothes (and bras! Dear Oprah, please get someone to design us better damn bras!) that fit well and absorb sweat, a gorgeous pool, trips to the fat farm, etc. But the money cannot make you thin. It cannot stop you from sucking the creamy lard off the Oreo, scooping out the Ben & Jerry's or sucking down yummy cream pies. And it can't make you get off your *kitten* and work your body.

Eat less and/or move more. That's the trick. And unless you have a physical problem, anyone can do it. That means me and you. :)

Eat less! Either weigh and measure all the food to get a fairly accurate calorie estimate or just keep dropping your calorie goal until you lose. Do the intermittent fasting if you want. I think bunches of small amounts of food are the way to go because you never feel hungry, but that might just be me. Whatever works for you! But keep the calories down. And try to eat healthy food as much as possible. You've done enough harm to your poor body.

Move more! Do what you like, but switch it up!!! Don't keep doing the same thing because you'll be bored and stop. Every week, do something you haven't done. I vote for swimming because you get cardio and resistance, clear your mind (you just cannot think while you swim!) and it's easy.

I'm assuming here that your doctor looked into possible physical causes (e.g. ran a FULL thyroid panel) - if that didn't happen, ask him to look into them at your next appointment.

The more you lose, the harder it gets!!! Don't expect the same rate of loss you began with. Remember that the smaller you get, the fewer calories you need.

Good luck!! :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    it all boils down to calories in / calories out. It doesn't matter where those calories come from.
    I'm obviously not a fitness expert and i'm not trying to be argumentative but using that logic that "it doesn't matter where those calories come from." that means that you would be able to eat fast food, junk food, drink soda etc... for your entire calorie intake per day and still be able to lose weight...
    if i'm working out and doing cardio every day and need to consume 2000 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week that means that i'd still be able to lose that weight at the same rate if all 2000 of those calories came from big macs and taco bell burritos?
    Yes.
    You would be missing important nutrients and not eating much food, but a calorie is a calorie. 2000 = 2000.
    You're going to get a lot more food & a lot more nutrients by eating less processed food, less junk food, and more whole, real, natural food.
    To make an extreme example...
    According to the MFP database, a big mac is 530 calories (27g fat).
    44 oz (2.75 lb) of carrots is 511 calories (2g fat).
    (Or 6.5 lb of romaine lettuce, 520 calories.)

To make your 2000 cal day, you could have almost 11 lb of carrots, or 3.8 big macs.
    Which one is going to fill you up more, keep you full longer? Which one is lower fat?
    Heck, are you even going to be able to eat 11 lb of carrots or 26 lb of lettuce? :sick:

Low carb diets aren't any better for fat loss than a balanced diet with a calorie deficit.
    Yes, they are.
    Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss. Links to studies in this blog post.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein

As you lose weight, you use fewer calories simply living.
    Drop your calories by 50, give it a couple weeks. If there's no change, drop another 50.
    Also, are you sure 2000 (200 lb) is a healthy goal for you?
    My doctor says I'm 5' 9.5" and I'm aiming for a maximum healthy goal weight of 165, so I'm eating no more than 1650 calories & ignoring what I burn in exercise (other than thinking it's kinda neat when I get MFP to think I've burned 1000).
    By BMI, the top of a healthy weight range is about 170.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I won't say a calorie is a calorie because that's a huge debate on these forums
    A calorie is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of distilled water 1 degree C.
    A Calorie (a dietary calorie, or kilocalorie) is the amount of energy needed to raise 1 kg of water 1 degree.
    It doesn't matter if the energy comes from a walnut (healthy) or an oreo (unhealthy, but oh, so tasty!).
    "Calorie" is a definition.
    There is no debate about it, at least among people who understand basic science.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets aren't any better for fat loss than a balanced diet with a calorie deficit.
    Yes, they are.
    Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss. Links to studies in this blog post.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein

It seems you are synthesizing those sources to imply a conclusion that is not clearly stated by the sources themselves. Most of them simply are stating eat "more protein rather" than "eat less carbs lose more weight".
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eat 1500.
  • meltedkeys
    meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    forget the scale and focus on measurements. do you honestly care if you weigh so much if it's all muscle? a lb of muscle is smaller than a lb of fat so you could weigh the same or even more but have lost fat.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Do you track your food/weigh every item you eat? You're probably eating more than you think.

^^ This. Also, you can drop every one of the supplements you're taking except for the multivitamin.

The fish oil is good for heart health so it may be a good supplement to keep along with the multivitamin. Otherwise, I would drop the rest, they don't do anything except eat up your money.

• JonathaBak
    Options
    It can be really frustrating when your diet does not yield the promised results and you are left in the same state as before. I think here your eating habit is the culprit. Many a times calories enter our diet unknowingly. A simple snack or a cookie that you had sometime can ruin the effect of your diet. Have a look at this article http://www.holisticsvoice.com/healthy-diet/find-hidden-calories-diet/, it talks about the same thing. Make sure that your diet doesn't contain any hidden calories.