Are you on a diet or change of lifestyle?

123457»

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I don't "diet" to lose weight. I eat to properly fuel my running.

I used to think that I was changing how I eat so that I could lose weight and look good, but when I came to realization that endurance running IS something that I will do for a lifetime, and that what I eat will specifically affect how I run and how much body fat I carry also affects this, it became easy for me to realize that changing what I eat is not for vanity purposes but rather for performance which increases health and vitality.

If you look at it as a way to make yourself lose weight, then you are short-changing yourself in the end. Even if you don't want to take up a sport, living a longer, healthier life should be enough motivation to keep going and eating properly.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Are you willing to do this for the rest of your life?

Why is that even relevant? Who the hell wants to do exactly the same thing for the rest of their life, in anything?

Use the right tool for the job.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Bread is good.

YEAH!

Diets are like the ride I took down the Grand Canyon on a flatulent mule-- I will never go on one again.

I've finally figured out how I'm supposed to eat for the rest of my life. I joined MFP to lose weight, but ended up with a whole new perspective on food. 86 lbs. lost since Jan. 1, 2014, with about 25-30 left to go. I eat the foods I want, just not as much, and not absent-mindedly. Life is amazing when you're doing the right thing for your body. Life is amazing when you don't hate yourself because you "cheated" on a diet! Making yourself feel like a failure is horrible. I wish much success to all of you, whether you're dieting or not.
  • T0M11
    T0M11 Posts: 5 Member
    I am over dieting so for me it is a lifestyle change. The plan is to make small changes throughout my diet and lifestyle that are sustainable in the long term.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    I see a lot of people on here and they are on this diet or doing this to lose weight. I wonder though. Are you willing to do this for the rest of your life? When you are done with the diet or you hit your weight, will you go back to what you did before? You say no now but.....

I was one of you, I did atkins and lost 100 pounds and gained back 180 after ending the diet. Bread is good. When I started this time I decided to think about things I can and would like to eat every day for the rest of my life. Sure I will be able to endulge once in a while but it is just that an endulgance. I started running, swimming and biking. I love all of these things and these are going to be the things I do to maintain my soon to be sexy self for the future. I have changed the way I think about food and the way I eat.

I have to ask the question, Are you here to change your life or get the pounds off (for now)?

It's a misconception that you have to continue a diet in perpetuity to see results. If Atkins helps you drop weight, it may be worth considering. Either way, you need to do what works for you.

But if you want my answer, it's both. Right now I'm experimenting with a CKD, the D is for diet, and that word doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    I feel so good doing what I'm doing right now why would I want that to end? MFP has helped me get over my two biggest hurdles: 1) logging food easily and 2) trying to do this alone.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Lifestyle change. What I'm learning from this process is that I always need to pay attention to what I eat and I must exercise to lose or maintain.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    A bit of both I suppose
    5 or so years ago- didn't drink water, fishes f***ed in it, and I claimed to be allergic to exercise.
    -
    - What changed? Menopause, and I crept to the top of normal BMI.
    What did I do?

In my first week of calorie counting I:-
    Swapped fizzy pop to fizzy water, 2L a day.
    Swapped amber ale to light beer.
    Swapped my 2 bikkies ( cookies) with my evening coffee to 1 70%chocolate truffle.
    Swapped my exercise allergy to aqua fit three times a week.

There was no suffering involved, all the changes happened within a week and have been sustained over the 5 years since I made them.

It took a year, calorie counting too, to lose my 30 lb, but it has stayed off, I eat what I please, and I have even found other forms of exercise that I like.

Do what you need to do for your success.

Cheers, h.

• jpiatt12
    jpiatt12 Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    I am definitely in this for the lifestyle change. I have done "diets" my whole adult life and all I know is that the minute I feel good about where I am, that is where the problem begins. I want to find the things to eat that I love and are good for me. I want to be able to eat healthy the rest of my life with the "occasional" indulgence. That is why I am doing this. Hopefully I will get the encouragement I need from here and be an encouragement to others.
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Actually the word diet means what aperson or animal usually eats or drinks. I like to eat and drink so I will not give up my diet but I will make it an improved diet for my health sake and not just to get skinny and yes it has to be a new life style I can't quit once I am at a healthier weight. :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I've eaten healthily all my life and been into exercising for about 14 years, and before that I used to walk everywhere. I was bigger as a teenager, but the main reason I joined MFP was to lose pregnancy weight gain. I've had 3 children and gained in each pregnancy, no matter what i did. I was the most fit and active in my third pregnancy and logged my food, and I still gained the same amount as I did in my 2nd pregnancy when I gave in to sweet treats a bit too often, and only randomly exercised.

So, yes, this is a healthy lifestyle, forever. If I can eat healthily and exercise through a pregnancy, then I think I can do it forever!
  • jsanford76
    jsanford76 Posts: 20 Member
    This is a lifestyle change for me. This has to be sustainable for me to continue with it, I made that decision when I started this, and I'm happy I did. I reached the weight that I thought I would be happy with, and realized that I wasn't satisfied and I have a long way to go yet. I am pretty sure that if I stop watching calories, I will start eating too much again. I like food too much. Further I realized that if 3500 is 1lb, approx. if I over consume by 100 calories per day for a year, in 7 years, I will have undone everything that I've worked this hard for. It's definitely a lifestyle change for me. When/if I get to my goal healthy BMI, I will switch to maintain and continue to log.
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    For me, it is definitely a lifestyle change. I was diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol this year at 37. I have a husband and two young kids that I want to be around for MANY more years to enjoy :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    i changed my life. it worked way better.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Modifying my diet so I can be healthy while still eating foods I love and enjoy. Moderation ftw.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't want to call this either a diet or a lifestyle change. If I had to choose one though, I would call this a lifestyle change. I am still eating the same things, just in much smaller portions. I like fruits & veggies so I eat those more. I buy reduced fat cheese, sour cream, half & half, etc...just to reduce the calories in my cooking. I'm weighing portions so I don't over eat and I will still indulge if I feel it.

I feel like if you "diet", especially if it's a fad diet like Atkins, Nutrisystem, South Beach, Paleo, etc..., you'll gain the weight back when your done. Also, you can't starve yourself or eat strictly healthy food if you're not used to it because you'll start to feel deprived of the things you love and fall off the wagon.

Take everything in moderation, cut the caloires, exercise and live life happy.