My Butt...

2»

Replies

• allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    cable kickbacks
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Check out Bret Contreras' Strong Curves. Good program for working those glutes.

This :happy:
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    save
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    IN ..... to read the links later
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Donkey kicks targets the butt. You get on all fours, lift your leg, bend that leg upward to 90 degrees, flex your foot and kick up towards the ceiling, like you're leaving a footprint on the ceiling, do 8 times 3 reps, repeat on other leg or alternate. Another exercise on all fours: lift your leg out to the side at 90 degree angle, no higher than your hip, (like a dog at a fire hydrant), extend/straighten your leg, bring it back to the start position (90 degrees), then lower, reps are the same as above, repeat on other leg. You will feel it in your butt and thighs when you are done, I still feel it from a few days ago.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Did squats.
    Yet only my hamstrings, etc are sore.
    I tried to isolate.
    Made sure I used proper form...
    What gives?

Uhm, you probably did it right then. Congrats. Also, you don't "isolate" on a compound movement, you isolate on an isolation lift.

complete-legs.jpg

Muscles activated in the lower body during a squat. These would be primary motivators.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Do lunges I can guarantee you a mighty sore *kitten*
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I'll add: sumo/plie squats.
    You hit proper depth and your *kitten* just clenches in. You'll feel those for the next few days.
  • craftydoll
    craftydoll Posts: 17 Member
    Also.. barbell hip thrusts. *kitten* for days!

+1
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Did squats.
    Yet only my hamstrings, etc are sore.
    I tried to isolate.
    Made sure I used proper form...
    What gives?

Do walking lunges. problem solved.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Congratulations! You found your weakest link!

Every exercise is only as good as the weakest muscle in the chain required to complete the exercise. In this case, your hamstrings are your limiting factor.

Basically what happened is that your hamstrings were significantly weaker than your glutes (not at all unusual for beginners). You worked hard enough to exhaust your hamstrings, but not hard enough to signficantly work on the gluteal muscles because of the gap in starting strength between those two sets of muscles.

As your hamstrings get stronger, then you will start to feel the exercise more in your glutes because you will be tiring those muscles at closer to the same time.

Give it time.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    I've been squatting for some time now, and my 1RM is about 415. My glutes have never been sore from squatting and my form is perfect.

It's important to note that soreness is not a great indicator of progress or how hard you've worked a muscle. It really tells you more about how adapted or not adapted the muscle is to what you're making it do. Here's what I mean: there was a time during my progression that I took a break from weights. I had made it up to about 235x5 for squats with no soreness after workouts. A few months later I came back and started out light at 155x5. I was sore for days. The strength was still there; I was back to PR territory in a few weeks. My muscles just weren't used to it anymore and thus complained.

So, hopefully this example illustrates the difference between soreness and how hard you've worked a muscle.
  • swaistle
    swaistle Posts: 119 Member
    I few people have beat me to it, but when I was hitting the gym, I was also doing lunges and dead lifts along with squats and my butt did hurt after all that haha :)
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Ohhh, the scientists came out! Lol, thank you for all of the information, everyone.

I especially appreciate the visual diagram. :)
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    I think I only just realised how to get the butt burn in squats.

You've got to squeeze those glutes and use them to power you up, weight on your heels.

I too was only getting achey thighs etc, when I didn't really engage my glutes, and was bending too far forward.

Me too, squeeze the glutes as if your squeeze is what's lifting you up.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Definitely do weighted lunges and barbell hip thrusts for a sore *kitten*.