Calories

Options
I know you are suppose to stay around that guideline they give you on here for your calorie intake but what if you eat alot of those meals that are already prepared like lean cuisine and michelina meals and healthy choice steamers? They have little calories but it counts as a meal.

Replies

• madhousenmich
    madhousenmich Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You really shouldnt eat too many of those meals because they are loaded with sodium but if you eat them you should still eat fresh fruits and veggies and snacks.

Goodluck
  • chrysnel
    Options
    The pre-prepared meals, as far as I remember as I don't eat them anymore (too much sodium, sugar, etc.- even if they are 'lean') are really not that filling (I was always hungry an hour later), so feel free to add some fresh cut veggies to bulk up your meal, boost your fibre intake, and add a few more calories to fill up your calorie 'meter'. :smile:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    If you should choose to eat it as a snack, but it under "snacks".
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Always be sure to eat plenty of fresh food, the more the better. Lean cuisines are ok for pinch situations and definitly better than a burger and fries but should be used as a last resort, there are tons of preservatives and a lot of sodium.

Hope that helps!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to what your question is. I had a lean cuisine for lunch. I will also have something for dinner - probably not a pre-packaged thing though. I will eat more than that but will just add it in. For me, I just try to make sure I have everything I have eaten in the database, not so much worried about when I eat it. I just had a granola bar, I will put that in snacks along with anything I may eat/drink tonight. Was that your question?
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    I eat one of "those meals" every day for lunch. I usually have to eat lunch out of my office due to the chaotic nature... I choose the ones that are low in most things, and I stay away from sodium as a rule because I hate salt. If you drink enough water, then the sodium intake will be flushed out much better than just letting the sodium sit. I rarely hit the 1200 calorie mark just because I don't get hungry much anymore. I'm forcing myself to eat salads with added protein, with either meat or hard-boiled egg, to get the right number of calories. As long as you're full and your body is still responding to exercise, then you'll do great.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't eat too much processed food. Even the healthier choices can have more sodium and sugar than you need and unless they're organic, don't often have good whole grains or quality meats. Plus, microwaving them destroys a lot of the nutrients in foods.

Start cooking for yourself. Steam or bake fresh vegetables to keep as much nutritional value in as possible. Eat whole grains and lean meats.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Spread your calories eat over the day and be as close the MFP's recommendation as possible (over or under).