Leg cramps

Options
I skate roller derby. I sometimes skate 3-4 times per week. Recently I have started having major leg cramps like I have never had. I eat 2-3 bananas a day, take a one-a-day vitamin and magnesium supplement. It was suggested instead of eating bananas that I switch to a potassium supplement.

Advice?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water?
  • marciml
    marciml Posts: 41
    Options
    are you drinking lots and lots of water, like 100 ounces? Dried plums are also high in potassium.
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    I was think that maybe you weren't drinking enough water as well. Maybe try stretching more before you skate. Also I was told by someone, dont remember who but... eating a little bit more salt might help as well. Also mustard is good for getting rid of those pesky things :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    are u warmin up before? stretchin afterwards? keepin hydrated? use some heat wraps after u skate to help relieve it.
  • frompster
    frompster Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We skate 5-10 laps at a low pace for warm up. Then we have group stretches.

Some days we do running for warm-up, stretches, and then off-skate workout including plyometrics. After the plyometrics we put skates on, do the warm-up laps, little bit of stretching and then endurance skating exercises.

Water is the only thing I drink except for the occasional cup of coffee.

I drink 8-10 glasses of water per day, but if I drink too much water while we have practice I get "sloshy" feeling and very nauseated.

Practices are intense with hitting, speed and endurance training. The more I skate, the more cramps I'm having.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    You may be eating to many bananas. Too much potassium can cause issues. Also, you might need sodium or electrolites, grab a gatoraid. And for immediate relief drink pickle juice when the cramp starts-- I know its sounds bad/odd, but it really works. The football team used to drink it on the sidelines when they got cramps and my physical therapist suggested it to me for my legs and feet. Dehydration could be another cause. Good luck