Newish to running, question about running outside

Options
Hello all :) I started the c25k program in December. I have always ran on my treadmill at home. Basically because it's 30 degrees here right now, lol. When it warms up a bit, I'm wanting to run outside though. I think I will enjoy the difference in scenery and things like that. I was talking to a friend last night and she said that when you run outside, you will run further than you do on a treadmill running the same amount of time. Is this true? I told her that where I'm at right now, I can jog a mile straight. It's about a 15 minute mile, so I know it's slow, but will I run a more than a mile outside if I run for 15 minutes? It just made me curious. And is it harder running outside than it is on a treadmill?

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on the person, for the longest time I could only run on a treadmil because I couldnt pace myself outside and would get wore out easily. And now I can run a 10k on the track but HATE the treadmil. Its more of just a personal preference

Its easier to zone out while running outside though. I feel more like I am making progressw since I am actually moving somewhere xD find a destination to run to, see how many miles it is, and see if you can run more outside :]
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When I first started running it was much harder outside than it was on a treadmill. But after running outside for so long now, I find it much harder to run on treadmill. Go figure.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    in a way yes. there is wind resistance. plus tougher terrain. If you wanna make a transition set your treadmill to a 1% incline for now then try a track for a little its softer than asphalt and flat. It s boring though.
  • borkjr
    borkjr Posts: 14
    Options
    There's no simple answer - could depend on whether there are hills and terrain changes to see if it's 'harder'. I find running outside a lot easier because I end up running at my natural pace, rather than being pushed to go at a certain pace on the treadmill. You may go quicker, you may go slower, you may alternate - but it will be more comfortable.

There's a few run/walk methods out there that may be helpful if you're new to running and at 1 mile right now. There's some zero to 5k programs that start you off running for 2 minutes, walking for 1 minute, etc - might help you get through it and start.

The best part about running outside for me - there's no clock to stare at, I don't get bored, and if I map out a certain distance run - I only have to go halfway - the other half is just getting home :)
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I can't stand running on a treadmill...I get really bored and can make it barely a mile. I've found that if I'm running on a treadmill I have to push myself more because the treadmill is "pulling" me. It's setting my pace. I can usually run a mile outside in around 11 minutes, if I'm on the treadmill I set it to 6.0 since I'm not getting the same incline changes and what not that would get by running outside.

I think everyone is different. Don't fret cold weather, just get some cold weather gear and you're good to go! I run in 20's if there's not snow everywhere!
  • khelwig
    khelwig Posts: 15
    Options
    WOW, 30 degrees sounds warm! I run outside no matter what the temperature, unless it gets to dangerously low wind chill temperatures (which happens in Wisconsin!) When that happens, I am forced to run on the tradmill but I hate it. I love running outside with my iPod. Each run, I try to go a little further than the last run. Congratulations on running your first mile! Take it one mile at a time and consider each on a success. Also, Congratulations on 59 pounds lost - that is fabulous! Do you have any running goals? If you set a goal or sign up for a 5K (3.1 miles), then you have something to work toward. There are so many great resources to help you train. Check out www.mapmyrun.com and www.halhigdon.com. Also, Runners World (www.runnersworld) has great info. Good Luck!
  • mandyshell
    Options
    I can definately see where it would feel like making more progress since your actually moving. I'll try it when it warms up a bit outside. And wow, it's weird how your body can change your prefrences like that, lol. Crazy. Thanks!
  • 35yearplan
    35yearplan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running, but am not a marathoner for SURE!! I haven't paced myself running outside because I usually run a trail by my house and don't know the exact distance, and it has been a while since I have been able to run outside because it is 28 degrees today where I live. But, I ran for an hour the other day outside, and ran five miles. Which is about a 12 minute mile right? I have noticed on the treadmill I run anywhere from a 10-12minute mile, but I rarely run 5 miles on a treadmill. It's just too boring. I think you might run further distances just because being outside you won't notice the time as much as you do inside. I also think the more you do it, the faster you get. When I ran that trail regularly, I would notice I would get through my songs on my playlist a lot faster when I was more consistantly running. I don't know if that helps. But, ultimately, I think it is a very personal thing. And so many factors can make a difference. Diet, stress, motivation...etc.

Good luck!! My one suggestion is to have your gait/foot pattern analysed and wear the proper fitting shoes! It is soooooo worth a few extra dollars to not have the resulting injury or pain from the wrong shoe!!
  • mandyshell
    Options
    Thank you guys all so much. You are all very inspiring! It's great to see different perspectives and recommendations. I'm more excited to start running outside now. I am just anti-cold weather, lol.