Sugars? How many should I have REALLY?

Options
hello all,

Question about sugars in my diet. well, two questions really?

A. MFP says I should have 24 sugars per day, I go over by nearly double everyday - mostly because I eat a lot of fruit. Is 24 a low estimate?

B. Will eating more sugars than MFP recommends stall my weight loss? I was looking back and it seems I always go over the allowance..

Suggestions please!!

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've upped my sugar allotment on here to 40 and don't take into account natural sugars from fruit, milk, etc. I think it's best to watch added sugars. Like the 10 g or whatever in a candy bar, etc.
  • knekias
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question 'cause I've been feeling bad about going over, but I eat an apple and an orange every day. That alone sends me over and if I have yogurt or something I'm nearly at triple the recommended sugar. I'm going to research online what the recommended healthy amount is.
  • knekias
    Options
    I just found this: http://www.newsroom.heart.org/index.php?s=43&item=800

According to that study, Utes09 is absolutely right. It is only the ADDED sugar that should count against our sugar total. I think an orange is like 14 grams and an apple is like 25 grams. I'm gonna exclude those from now on.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I'm with you- I'm vegan so I eat a lot of fruit, but hardly anything with added sugar. I got so frustrated seeing that I went over on sugar all the time that I changed it to something else :-) I'm happy I'm not the only one. I should feel good about having 2-3 servings of fruit a day, right?