Buying an exercise machine, which one is best?

Options
In your opinion which machine would give a better workout (when done consistently) with the goal of losing weight: an elliptical or a treadmill? Im going to buy one or the other. My main focus is losing my stomach plus get plenty of cardio in.

Replies

• kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like both but I'd like to know too..........which one would be a better investment........
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy with the results I get on my elliptical machine. Personally, for me it takes a lot more effort to do the bike and get the same amount of calories burnt, and the seats are usually not the most comfortable. A treadmill would be nice to have, it would be my #2 fav., but I just can't fit another machine in my place right now. I do like the entire machine line by Lance Armstrong. They are all high quality, and most are thumb-drive compatible to sync your workouts to your computer. Pretty snazzy stuff. :) Good luck!
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    elliptical... easier on the joints and better for long moderate paced cardio
  • kri5tin
    kri5tin Posts: 23
    Options
    The Arc Trainer by Cybex... much better than an elliptical
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i see better results from running, but if youre not gonna really get into running then go with the elliptical. i plateau quicker with the elliptical tho
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical, a stationary bike and a treadmill (huge basement!). The elliptical makes my legs burn and really gets my heart rate up due to the resistance, so I like it for building "fitness". The treadmill is nice because of the programmable intervals, and I feel my lungs get a good workout, because I can focus on speed and incline, and my legs tend to last longer (not collapse like on the elliptical). The bike is nice for a change and great for the quads, but seat can be uncomfortable if you don't have a good one, and it is hard to really get your heart rate up. However, on the bike, I can sit up and incorporate an arm workout with small weights to help get my heart rate up and make it a more effective workout.

Overall, I like elliptical first, treadmill second and bike last, but they all are great in their own way. :wink:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Don't overlook rowing machines. Non-impact and engages a lot of muscle groups to burn a lot of calories and increase strength. And it's fun.
    I liked the Concept 2 rower at my old gym so much that I bought one for my house.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree with the elliptical. Much better for your joints. I have both (and a recumbent bike), but I prefer the elliptical over all three. I find that I can do a much longer workout. Maybe it's just because running bores me. I like to mix it up and go forward and backwards on the elliptical to target different muscles. And mine can be adjusted height-wise to either work more like a stairstepper (strength) or walking (cardio). That being said, the treadmill is great if you are lacking time.
  • YOGAONE
    Options
    Either the elliptical or treadmill will work, however, neither one will take your weight off. You have to do that. There are thousands of both machines taking up space and collecting dust all over the world ( I own a couple myself). Before buying one I recommend you join a gym and try out several different machines. You will eventually, gravitate to a couple that you feel give you the best workout. My favorite machine is the great outdoors. Nothing like a brisk 3-5 mile walk or run everyday! and.... it's free I wish you the best of luck achieving your goals.
  • jusjohnny
    Options
    The elliptical is better it works out more of your body.:smile: