VIVA LA SMOOTHIE!

amelia_atlantic
amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I just bought a new blender and I'm completely obsessed with making smoothies! I didn't realize how little variety of fruits I had in my diet and I'm happy to mix things up.

I just wanted to share a few foods I found to have high amounts of potassium (which combats BLOATING and WATER WEIGHT GAIN!!!) :

Banana (obvious one)
FIGS
Kiwi
Dates
Peaches
Grapefruit
Plums

Also, we all know yogurt aids in healthy digestion but if you add ground flax seeds to your yogurt (or smoothie) it DOUBLES the benefits. Essentially, the pro-biotics in yogurt feed off the flax. It's important to grind the seeds up, though. Our bodies have difficulty digesting them whole... which defeats the purpose.

ENJOY! :drinker:

Replies

• Would you be willing to share some recipes??
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Great info! I need to start using my blender again. :drinker:
  • I absolutely love smoothies. If you have a magic bullet it is so great. It grinds up frozen fruit and then you just put the lid on and go. No messy clean up. ( I sound like a commerical) I would add soy milk to mine to get extra protein. I am not a fan of soy milk, but in a smoothie it is great. Not sure if you have an Aldi's in your area, but they have a great selection of frozen fruit that are great in your smoothie. I did a weight loss plan before that was called Eat to Live. He suggested starting your morning off with a smoothie and it really filled me up. I felt so good when I did this. I have to get myself back on track.
  • danniwhit
    danniwhit Posts: 63 Member
    Add some spinach, kale or other leafy greens for an easy way to get some extra veggies in your diet also! I have had a "green smoothie" every morning for the last month and LOVE it :) I feel great everyday. I add in some chia seeds, flax seeds and sometimes hemp seeds, as well as almond/hemp milk and sometimes tofu. 2-3 cups of leafy chopped greens, 2cups water (more to get the desired consistency if needed) an apple, 1 c blueberries, 1 pear, some red grapes...you can experiment with fruits & veggies to add but I highly recommend trying them. I use a banana every few days in mine (Hubby is allergic so I have to wait til he has had his from the blender then re-blend with a banana) and banana overpowers pretty much all other flavors.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Awesome! I love all those ideas! I have a magic bullet type thing that has 4 different lids and I LOVE IT.

Lately my smoothies have been:
    Banana
    Peanut butter
    Soy Milk
    Fig

Frozen berry medley (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries)
    Kiwi
    Non fat plain yogurt
    Flaxseed
    Almonds
    banana

Haven't gotten around the green smoothies yet but I'm psyched to try!
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    yum
This discussion has been closed.