30 day shred

Options
30 day shred is shredding my knees! Is there anything I can do to continue doing it without further damage to knees. I already used a mirror to make sure my form for squats and lunges were correct.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    maybe try the modified versions!! I don't go deep into lunges or squats because of my knees either.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    IF ITS HURTING your knees the form might not be totally correct or you need calcium
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do more knee circles haha! maybe try wrapping your knees with sports wrap or something? use a thick mat under your feet? wearing the right shoes?
  • getinshapesarah
    Options
    hard to say.. dont let your knees go -past your toes, put a chair behind you for squats to deepen squat without the fear of falling, cause if you fall.. youll just sit on the chair. it will help your form (you will get lower)and get the pressure off your knees.
    dont give up on lunges or squats. they are the key to getting in shape, and boosting your muscle mass to up your metabolism!
    just be careful
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The jumping kills my knees. I find it helpful to put a folded over yoga mat beneath me when I have to jump.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I just finished the Shred today, for the first time. I have a problem with my knee as well so the jumps and the lunges do hurt me a bit. Not hurt but feels very tight. I agree with others, do the modified version and not go as deep into the lunges. I compensate by holding on to weights or heavier weights if it already requires weight.

Key thing is to keep on moving because you want to keep your body warmed up. Also I start warming up before the vid starts, just a few minutes more for my knee and sciatica. =)
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I actually was diagnosed with arthritis behind both knee caps. But I am trying to build the muscle around to absorb some of the pressure.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    IF ITS HURTING your knees the form might not be totally correct or you need calcium
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Calcium may be an idea. I tend to stay away from milk and cheese to save myself the calories for food.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Cod liver oils....
  • immskris
    Options
    try vitamin pills- especially the one for calcium ... it might be better in calories and still give you the calcium you need
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have one knee that has gone through about 7 surgeries, including three reconstructions, has no cartilage and is arthritic. When I first started Shred, I felt the same way. I do NOT go as low on the lunges and squats....and I believe that I have succeeded strengthening it like you are trying to do. I used to be able to only (and I mean only) do the elliptical machine. The more I do it (and her other DVDs) the pain has gotten substantially better. I will never go as low as they do and I don't jump as high either, but I'm soooo happy to not be stuck on the damn elliptical as my only option!! Also, I was not able to do it multiple days in a row for a pretty long time. My poor little knee had to rest!

Now I'm doing Insanity. I never thought I would even attempt that. I love it.

I know not everyone with knee problems will have the same experience, but wanted to let you know that it is possible sometimes!

Best of luck!
    Jennifer
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will try every other day. I love it but was willing to give it up to prevent further knee damage and then being able to do no exercise. I do usually do 90 degree squads and lunges and jump jacks will have to be modified. Thanks.
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Great idea. I prefer to eat my calories and not waste them on something I don't enjoy.
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I switched from my running shoes to my cross trainers today and I did my squats and lunges with my big exercise ball against the wall (perfect form). No knee pain at all. Yaah, I can keep shredding.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have one knee that doesn't want to cooperate with my fitness goals. I do the modified lunges and either do the modified squats or plie squats which don't seem to hurt so much. I have also moved some of my shred jumping moves to the mini tramp. I believe that lessens my calorie burn, but it permits me to continue.