If you can't afford new jeans as you lose weight, try this.

Options
Here's a few things you should know about me:
1) I am fat, but I am not nearly as fat as I was when I started on here (down to 228.4 from 280) four and a half months ago.
2) I am broke. Well, I can pay my bills, but I definitely can't afford to replenish my wardrobe with clothes that will only fit me for a few weeks or a month at most (even at thrift stores... IF I can find clothes that fit there anyway - they usually don't have a big "plus sized" variety)
3) I am not a very good seamstress.

That being said, I have been able to make a few of my Size 22W jeans (I started at a 24 but those are looooong gone) work on my 18 and almost, but not quite yet, Size 16 body.
It does take a needle and thread, but it doesn't require much skill. Look at the picture below:

pzijeandark-766397.jpg

See the red "V" I put on the picture? I cut that area out of my jeans (I've had to do this several times as I have continued to lose more and more weight) on each side - make sure you either measure or pinch and mark the fabric when they're on you or you might cut too much.
Then I put the two edges together and sew them up - it doesn't have to be pretty with neat, even stitches because the stitches are on the inside and, honestly, who looks at the side seams of your jeans, anyway?

Anyway, I hope this helps if you're in the same boat as I am. It doesn't completely eliminate DBS (Droopy Butt Syndrome), but it reduces it and also makes sure you don't lose your pants when you walk around.

Replies

• Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd have seen this back when I started losing weight: I've spent a small fortune keeping myself in blue jeans!
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic tip! thank you! I shall definitely be using that (hopefully!) in a few months time!

x
  • chrysnel
    Options
    What a great idea! I have a hard time getting jeans to fit anyways, as my butt and hips always seem to be too big for my waist, and I always have a gigantic gap at the waist, and it all bunches up when I wear a belt to hold up my ever-loosening jeans... I did manage to find some of my old jeans yesterday (which I never let go of because I knew that someday I would get back into them!) but I love the jeans I have been wearing and this would be a great way to get a bit more wear out of them.

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I have a hard time getting jeans to fit anyways, as my butt and hips always seem to be too big for my waist, and I always have a gigantic gap at the waist, and it all bunches up when I wear a belt to hold up my ever-loosening jeans... I did manage to find some of my old jeans yesterday (which I never let go of because I knew that someday I would get back into them!) but I love the jeans I have been wearing and this would be a great way to get a bit more wear out of them.

I have the same issue as I have a classic hourglass shape and my waist is significantly smaller than my butt/hips. Doing this has helped A LOT to make my jeans fit better (and for a longer period of time). :)
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The best part is they are gone! You cant just back into your big pants when they are small now!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    The best part is they are gone! You cant just back into your big pants when they are small now!

Exactly!
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was was wondering how I could make my jeans last longer once I start losing. I'm pretty cheap so I hate wasting good clothes.
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is such a great idea. I'd just stolen my boyfriend's elastic belt, but I like this idea a whole lot better (and he might want his belt back sooner than we can afford new clothes) lol
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tip! This is a huge help.
    People keep saying "you need new clothes" and they don't seem to understand - Clothes cost money :grumble:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    this is a great tip! I have some pants that don't have any belt loops that I really like, and this might let me save them...when I finally start to shrink...which has yet to happen...but I'm only 24lbs down...with a long way to go. lol
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Awesome! thanks!

They should have a place on this site where people offer to trade clothing. I would send you some jeans but were are almost the same size. I'm putting away my szie 20s for now in case i get pregnant sooner rather than later.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    DBS??? Droopy butt syndrome Hahaha that was great! That has always been my problem....droopy butt...nothing to fill out the jeans :-)
    The only way to fix it for me is to stay very slim....that way i can wear tight jeans with getting a muffin top....and get rid of the droopy butt as well.....that's why I need to lose about 10 more pounds...

I love the tip for the jeans, thank you!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Great tip, thanks! I'm actually "fortunate" that I've been every size from 16 to 28 (yo-yo dieter) and saved a lot of my old clothes. I can't wait for the day I get to pull it all out and see what fits! LOL
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Love the tip!
  • dnb3333
    dnb3333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great tip!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    bookmarking :bigsmile:
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Do you cut one side or both? This is a fantastic tip and like one of the other posters said...you can't save your "fat clothes" just in case. I did that...BIG MISTAKE.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Do you cut one side or both? This is a fantastic tip and like one of the other posters said...you can't save your "fat clothes" just in case. I did that...BIG MISTAKE.

Both sides, equal amounts - otherwise you'll have a crazy Quasimodo look going on. :)
  • takethepieces
    Options
    I've been having this problem...I can't say I drop a size every month though, unfortunately! Thanks for the tip!