Sliding backwards

Options
So I'm only trying to lose about 5-10lbs, and more than anything I want to tone my arms and legs and tummy. I've started running twice per week on the treadmill at work, and I do yoga once per week, and I tried out some bicep curls and triceps extensions yesterday.I don't want to lose so much weight that I need to buy new pants, but I want to look slimmer. (Hopefully that makes sense!)

A week ago, I weighed myself and had gone down 4lbs, and this morning I weighed myself and I went back up 4lbs. I know I naturally fluctuate about 5lbs, but I slipped last night big time (company dinner), and I'm slipping today (though I'm proud to say I put away the bag of chips and the can of pop after eating/drinking only about half, or less)... I just feel like crap today and I don't know why.

Help!

Replies

• bigsal911
    Options
    Carbs are the enemy. Stay away from them for a bit and you will lose weight. It's rough the first time you go into carb withdrawl but it's worth it.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's logical after having been paying careful attention to what you eat and to your activity levels that when you eat too much or just too much fat and/or sugar, you won't feel very good afterwards.

For example, quite some time ago I quit eating red meat. After a couple of years, the first hamburger I ate literally made me sick. I felt awful for days!

Anyhow, slips are normal. and you shouldn't feel bad about them--just get right back up on that proverbial horse and you'll feel better in no time! :smile:
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi,

Are you also taking measurements - you may be loosing fat but putting on muscle - which is more dense so you would be slimmer for the same weight.

Also watch your sodium intake as you could be taking on and retaining water.

Steve
  • okcowgirl
    Options
    Okay ... REMEMBER ... Muscle weighs MORE than fat. SOO .. if you are building MUSCLE (toning) ... then don't expect the WEIGHT to drop very much. You need to do the "body measurments". You can actually LOG the measurements on here ... along with your BMI. Those measurements are the things that you will see change. Loosing 5-10 lbs will be REALLY hard, but TONIING .. WOO HOO .. that's the thing to do .. to MAKE you LQQK like you have lost that 5-10 lbs.

Hope this helps !!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Check this out and be prepared for a bit of reading. This guy does a very good job of explaining what happens and what we lighter people need to do. (I'm in a healthy weight range - trying to shed some body fat %).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

When we are light to begin with we will see a lot of up and down. Water retention, hormones, etc. Concentrate on how your clothes fit instead of numbers. They fluctuate way too much. I have learned that.

Focus on strength training. This is what you need to get lean and tone. Aerobic is great for getting extra calories to eat and for your cardiovascular health but you need more lean muscle mass to help shed the fat. I've seen my weight drop 3 pounds in 2 hours. I weight myself daily in the morning, after I pee and before I shower. I'm back into a pair of work pants that I haven't worn since I was 120 (couple of years ago) and I'm a little under 126 right now. They fit better now than they did then.
  • kitchentales
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will be sure to watch the sodium intake, and I'll try measurements instead of weight. I think I am going to go out this weekend and get a small weight to do some toning at home.

hpsnickers1 - thanks for posting that! Interesting read, and it makes sense.

Thanks everyone! Loads of help. And now that I'm drinking water I feel better. :-)