Counting burned calories...

schninie82
schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Hi I need help figuring something out...

Does anyone know where there is an accurate Calorie counting website (Apart from mfp)? I have had a look round ad entered my details and each time I come up with something different:

40 mins running at 12.5 mph, weighing 173lbs female height 5ft 5"...... I got 1016 cal burned at one place... 238 at another and 356 on here!!

HELP!!!

Replies

• I can't really help you as far as a website; but, I bought a HRM that I put on when I'm going to exercise. It gives me an accurate calorie burn.
  • mishmush21
    mishmush21 Posts: 18 Member
    I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but a heart rate moniter is your best bet! I finally caved and bought one last night! :)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. You ran TWELVE AND A HALF MPH for FORTY MINUTES? Then yes, 1016 could be accurate. That's not running, that's goddamn SPRINTING. And if you can keep that up, props to you. :D

Maybe there was a calculation mistake. Maybe you put your weight/height in wrong somewhere.
  • Hi I need help figuring something out...

Does anyone know where there is an accurate Calorie counting website (Apart from mfp)? I have had a look round ad entered my details and each time I come up with something different:

40 mins running at 12.5 mph, weighing 173lbs female height 5ft 5"...... I got 1016 cal burned at one place... 238 at another and 356 on here!!

HELP!!!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    The general rule for running is 100 +/- calories per mile.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    The best site, I've seen:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

It calculates everything and V02 max - I don'tk now how to measure that yet - but it's there.. Enjoy!
  • Hey if i could ask u a question .... If u are running on a tredmill what kind do u have that goes 12 miles an hr???? The fastest mine goes is a 10...
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    HRM is your best bet I just looked at my last run I weight 158 lbs run 1 hour 15 sec 4.70 miles 12.49 pace burned 573 the calories burn number was from my heart rate monitor. hope that helps
  • If you really ran 40 mins at 12.5 mph, you burned AT LEAST 1016 cals and you need to get signed up for your next marathon. 12.5 mph is hauling it!!! Most can only do that speed for a minute, doing interval work.
  • PPFEIFER2
    PPFEIFER2 Posts: 13 Member
    They say a heart rate monitor is the best.
  • Now that I think about it, are you sure it wasn't 12 1/2 minute per mile pace?? VERY different from 12.5 mph.
  • MFPfriend
    Now that I think about it, are you sure it wasn't 12 1/2 minute per mile pace?? VERY different from 12.5 mph.

That's what I'm thinking, haha. 12.5 minute/mile pace is like, 5 mph or something. I can't even get my legs to move at 12 mph, haha. Well, maybe for 15 seconds, haha.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Now that I think about it, are you sure it wasn't 12 1/2 minute per mile pace?? VERY different from 12.5 mph.

I was thinking maybe 2.5 mph (typo with the 1)
  • schninie82
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. You ran TWELVE AND A HALF MPH for FORTY MINUTES? Then yes, 1016 could be accurate. That's not running, that's goddamn SPRINTING. And if you can keep that up, props to you. :D

Maybe there was a calculation mistake. Maybe you put your weight/height in wrong somewhere.

oh so sorryyyy...... I wrote it wrong..... 12 and a half minutes to complete 1 mile.... its between 4 and 5 mile per hour...
  • schninie82
    Hey if i could ask u a question .... If u are running on a tredmill what kind do u have that goes 12 miles an hr???? The fastest mine goes is a 10...

sorry I wrote it on the post wrong... its 12 and a half minutes per mile.... I still get different cal burns...
  • schninie82
    If you really ran 40 mins at 12.5 mph, you burned AT LEAST 1016 cals and you need to get signed up for your next marathon. 12.5 mph is hauling it!!! Most can only do that speed for a minute, doing interval work.

Sorry... its 12 and a half mins per mile... I wrote it on the post wrong... yeah I wish I could... Im just a jogger...
  • schninie82
    oh this doesnt look good... sorry, I wrote the wrong thing on the post... but go ahead and try it.... randomly choose 3 websites and enter my stats...remember 12 and a half minute per mile not miles per hour....its about 4 or 5 mph... and watch the different calories come up...

Thanks guys...think I'll search ebay for a heart monito thingy..

sorry again, but go ahead and see yourself and repost to me your findings!!

Cheers
  • MFPfriend
    If I wear in your situation, then I would take the average of the reasonable burns. Like, if one site gave you 400 burned, another gave you 300, and then another gave you 2000 burned, then I would toss out the 2000 number, then find the average of 300 and 400, for about 350.

I don't use heart rate monitors because I'm not crazy about being totally exact, and they can get expensive. But if it works for you and helps you feel more secure about how much you're burning, then go fot it! :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    you must get a HRM!!!!! It will be the only accurate way to tell.
This discussion has been closed.