what is a "cheat" day??

Options
i had a question on what is concidered a cheat day... is a cheat day when you go over on your calories or is a cheat day when you eat a burger when your used to eating salads??? for example - i usually stay significantly under my calorie goal weight, i eat until i am full.. i won't over-eat just to make the cal goal. I eat alot of veggies, fish, and lean meats, no fried food, not too many carbs, etc.. but today i ate a burger. (i haven't had a burger in months) i am really full and pretty sure i will not want to eat dinner because i will not be hungry, so i know i won't go over in calories... so is it a "cheat day" when usually three meals would meet the same calories any other day as the calories i ate today in ONE meal?? oh, and i usually exercise, and today i am not. please help!!

Replies

• tammilk
    tammilk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    my "cheat" day is usually on saturday and it means to me that i go over my daily calories a little bit by having a meal higher in calories. Usually my breakfast and lunch are light and for dinner we'll go out and have a few slices of pizza, or a sub.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have a cheat day, but a "cheat" meal which sounds like what you have had! If I crave something really bad, I will allow myself that meal, but only once a week right now! Yesterday was my twin daughters b-day and so I knew we were eating out last night so I planned for that meal and the small piece of cake to be my cheat for the week! I'm back on track today and feeling wonderful. I think as long as we can do that and not fall off the wagon, enjoy the "cheat meal"!! Bet that burger was awesome :)
  • mindyloohu
    Options
    Hi! I have the same issue with calories...being under. My cheat day is tomorrow...eat WHATEVER you want without over doing it. Like if u want past with alfredo and desert after DO IT! dont count calories its a good shocker for ur body to get those extra calories once in a while. It is important tho not to feel guilty. I really really look forward to it all week. Even if you want pancakes and syrup in the morning its good. Again just don't over do it. It is really important to eat often tho to keep your metabolism up!
  • starlitesue
    Options
    My "cheat" day is Sundays. Calorie counting takes up A LOT of my time, and can become tedious. So on Sundays I don't count. I still watch what I eat, and I never go crazy. I think of it as practice for when I reach my goal and stop counting calories. I usually do a pretty hard workout on Sunday too.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i consider "cheat days" a scheduled day where you are allowed to eat (or drink) something that is not on your diet. My husband and I usually have a cheat day once a week. It actually is usually a cheat meal where we will have for example nachos and beer.

Up until now I have never counted calories, we have a diet where you eat every 3-4 hours portioned amounts of high protein foods, with a small portion of carbs. I have never thought of counting calories until I found this website. I was surprised to see that for the most part even with our frequent meals we stay pretty close or under allowed calories.

Cheat days make sticking to our diet easier, we have fun with our cheat days!
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    I think of it as a day when I can go over (not too crazy) my cal. goal for the day. This for me means I maybe have something that I normaly would avoid, like a burger or pizza or maybe a real dessert like icecream or something that I have been craving. I find that it helps to have a couple days a month like this so that im not completely cutting out foods that I love that really are bad. Also if I know about special occasions coming up (for me the Super Bowl) were i know there will be tons of "bad" food I make that a cheat day. I know that many tempting "bad" foods will be at my fingertips so I dont count cals that day. I dont go crazy and stuff my face but ill have a pizza roll or two and some chips with a couple beers.
    Hope this helps.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the same issue with calories...being under. My cheat day is tomorrow...eat WHATEVER you want without over doing it. Like if u want past with alfredo and desert after DO IT! dont count calories its a good shocker for ur body to get those extra calories once in a while. It is important tho not to feel guilty. I really really look forward to it all week. Even if you want pancakes and syrup in the morning its good. Again just don't over do it. It is really important to eat often tho to keep your metabolism up!

i get what you're saying by eat what you want without over doing it, like today.. i ate a burger for lunch, but that doesnt mean i am going to eat 4 slices of pizza tonight. but my concern is i have worked so hard by cutting out burgers and pizza and bad foods, that i don't want to gain back everything i lost just because i enjoyed a burger even though i am staying under my calories. you know what i mean?? i will deffinately not fall off, i for sure will go back to my good eating habits, but it's my birthday weekend and people keep treating me to all of these foods, if i do have some of all of it and stay under calories am i still ruining all i worked for??
  • naturalbeautybell
    Options
    Hi
    I think that personally you did the right thing . You have not had a burger in months , well this was the day for you to enjoy one . Sometimes when we deprive ourselves of the things we really want we end up over eating later and start to feel sad . But the trick here is not to get these feeling confused with false hunger or cravings that usually will pass . As long as you don't eat this way every day- you'll be okay .Also this is good for your metabolism because when we starve or eat too little fat it lowers our metabolism . So the next day resume following your healthy routine .

---- On another note i would not call it a 'cheat day'.. Just simply eat right 80 % of the time . Life is about enjoying each day not suffering or tiring yourself out beyond the norm .:smile:
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I havent had one yet! but I plan to once every two weeks or once a month! Some ppl do it...because they say it speeds up their metabilism...idk. But I think its okay to have a treat every once in a while..just not everyday. I think if u want something really bad..just eat it..or thats all you'll think about and end up eating everything else. Also I think it would just eat like u normaly would before u went on the diet.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but only "cheat meals" so far.. which again, sounds like what you had. I have to admit I feel a little guilty after (and i'm working on that one too) and i'm often under my calories as well due to exercise. I feel conflicted as well about just stuffing myself with food to make a calorie amount when i'm not hungry. Seems to be a key to success though. I did take a rest day from the gym this week and I lost a pound in 4 days despite it. It may be some truth to not overdoing it- Just eat what you want (within reason) and keep the exercise up...seems to be working for me thus far :) SIde note: I also believe in moderation, so i pre plan knowing if i'm gonna have a crappy dinner make breakfast/lunch sensible..
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has their own version of what a cheat day is. I call mine a 'splurge' day, it is usually on weigh day (once a week). I try to keep everything as planned during the week and on splurge day (Friday) I eat the things that I have been 'craving' during the week (IF I still want them). [ I STILL LOG EVERYTHING!! ] It helps keeps me on track during the week. ie: this morning I split a ham, mushroom, cheese omlet, hashbrowns and toast with a friend. I only ate half (it's all I 'needed' to feel satisfied) and brought the other half home in case I want to eat it later. I don't fret too much about the calories on splurge day, although I don't go CRAZY. If I go over- oh, well. I have noticed that as I get closer to my goal, I am wanting less and less of the things I used to crave. Often I actually get an upset stomache after I eat like this because my body just isn't used to it. That's probably why I am not craving them as much ??
    It's probably not the best idea to eat one large meal and call it a day's worth of calories. I would still eat something light for dinner.

I say don't worry about days like today as long as they don't happen very often. The calories will balance out. If you're anything like me, the worrying will cause you to stress and eat more or make poor choices. Learn to just let go.

Hope this has helped. Have a fantastic weekend!! Good luck in your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • thecanface
    Options
    Hi
    I think that personally you did the right thing . You have not had a burger in months , well this was the day for you to enjoy one . Sometimes when we deprive ourselves of the things we really want we end up over eating later and start to feel sad . But the trick here is not to get these feeling confused with false hunger or cravings that usually will pass . As long as you don't eat this way every day- you'll be okay .Also this is good for your metabolism because when we starve or eat too little fat it lowers our metabolism . So the next day resume following your healthy routine .

---- On another note i would not call it a 'cheat day'.. Just simply eat right 80 % of the time . Life is about enjoying each day not suffering or tiring yourself out beyond the norm .:smile:

okay, that makes sense. i think what i am asking is what if i eat a burger one day- and stay way under calorie goal for the day, eat italian food the next day, still stay way under calorie goal..? am i done for?? will all 5 measley lbs i lost come back? lol
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is when I can have a chocolate cake or ice cream or a nice blue cheese burger without worring about it. It makes temptation easier to resist during the rest of the week because I can tell my self I will just have it on cheat day! It is usually Saturday or Sunday, depending on what I'm planning for the weekend. Now, I don't eat every single thing that tempted me during the week on that day as I can usually find something else to tempt me then!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in a bad plateau for a WHILE and tried everything. Then, I came across this girl who said that she had a cheat day "pig out day" (for the ENTIRE 1 day, not just a meal) when in a plateau and it made her gain a pound that day and then she dropped that pound plus more by the next and restarted her weight loss.

Well, I tried that earlier this week and it worked remarkably! I ate whatever I craved and wanted (but I didn't go too wild). I usually get 1540 calories on here so I said I would eat AT LEAST 2000 calories at the very least and not go over 2500-2700. I ended up eating 2300 and some. That day I gained a pound BUT then the next day (yesterday) I lost 2 pounds (the one I gained plus another) and today I weighed in again and I lost a whole pound again.

I wouldn't do this every week though. I am only going to do it when I see signs of a plateau. A cheat every week probably would help but I would do a CHEAT MEAL. I would save the CHEAT DAYS for when you are in a plateau.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in a bad plateau for a WHILE and tried everything. Then, I came across this girl who said that she had a cheat day "pig out day" (for the ENTIRE 1 day, not just a meal) when in a plateau and it made her gain a pound that day and then she dropped that pound plus more by the next and restarted her weight loss.

Well, I tried that earlier this week and it worked remarkably! I ate whatever I craved and wanted (but I didn't go too wild). I usually get 1540 calories on here so I said I would eat AT LEAST 2000 calories at the very least and not go over 2500-2700. I ended up eating 2300 and some. That day I gained a pound BUT then the next day (yesterday) I lost 2 pounds (the one I gained plus another) and today I weighed in again and I lost a whole pound again.

I wouldn't do this every week though. I am only going to do it when I see signs of a plateau. A cheat every week probably would help but I would do a CHEAT MEAL. I would save the CHEAT DAYS for when you are in a plateau.
  • thecanface
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but only "cheat meals" so far.. which again, sounds like what you had. I have to admit I feel a little guilty after (and i'm working on that one too) and i'm often under my calories as well due to exercise. I feel conflicted as well about just stuffing myself with food to make a calorie amount when i'm not hungry. Seems to be a key to success though. I did take a rest day from the gym this week and I lost a pound in 4 days despite it. It may be some truth to not overdoing it- Just eat what you want (within reason) and keep the exercise up...seems to be working for me thus far :) SIde note: I also believe in moderation, so i pre plan knowing if i'm gonna have a crappy dinner make breakfast/lunch sensible..

yeah, that is exactly what i did.. i only had coffee at breakfast, and a small orange as a snack. honestly i am so full i really cannot even eat dinner! thanks so much for your opinion!
  • thecanface
    Options
    My cheat day is when I can have a chocolate cake or ice cream or a nice blue cheese burger without worring about it. It makes temptation easier to resist during the rest of the week because I can tell my self I will just have it on cheat day! It is usually Saturday or Sunday, depending on what I'm planning for the weekend. Now, I don't eat every single thing that tempted me during the week on that day as I can usually find something else to tempt me then!

and when you eat the cake, or ice cream or buger, do you go over your calorie goal?
  • thecanface
    Options

that's good to know!! i don't think i was technically at a plateau, but i don't feel like i was losing weight fast enough according to my eating and exercise.. maybe this mini cheat will help! thanks!