AVOIDING TEMPTATION

Options
Ok so I work in and office and if it isn't bad enough that i have to sit almost all day long, it seems that atleast once or twice a week its either someones birthday, or some other something and there are constantly cupcakes and brownies and chips just sitting on the break room table! I just went in there to make some tea for me and a co-worker (who is wonderful also on this site) and there they are a whole box of cupcakes justsitting there with a big sign that says "Happy Birthday Gloria!! Eat me, Tawni" ok, so maybe it doesn't say that exactly but, you get the idea. Anyway i decided to come post this instead just sitting there wait for my tea to brew so I'm not tempted!! Thanks for reading!
P.S> Why is it we feel like we have to bring in something sweet to celebrate?

Replies

• MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    Ok so I work in and office and if it isn't bad enough that i have to sit almost all day long, it seems that atleast once or twice a week its either someones birthday, or some other something and there are constantly cupcakes and brownies and chips just sitting on the break room table! I just went in there to make some tea for me and a co-worker (who is wonderful also on this site) and there they are a whole box of cupcakes justsitting there with a big sign that says "Happy Birthday Gloria!! Eat me, Tawni" ok, so maybe it doesn't say that exactly but, you get the idea. Anyway i decided to come post this instead just sitting there wait for my tea to brew so I'm not tempted!! Thanks for reading!
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    You are NOT alone! I have written posts on this topic before. At least they are in the break room and not plunked on a table directly outside your office!
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more! We should bring like...a huge veggie tray or even fruit. Anything other than all those sweet things that make my tummy yearn...!!!!!

*Kistinbee*
  • smithwife
    Options
    Not only avoiding temptation, but constantly having to reply "No Thanks", " I already ate", "Oh! too bad, I'm allergic to chocolate!"....I am not allergic to chocolate, but I can't get over a guitly feeling of 'excusing' myself everytime someone offers me a little treat! It is almost as if you offend them by not eating whatever super-high-calorie goodie that they are trying to pawn off on the entire office! Having good eating habits, being on a diet, means EVERY DAY making good choices! Some people just don't get it..stay strong...don't give in to office cupcakes!
    p.s. in honor of your post, I will be bringing a veggie tray with light dressing for MY birthday!!!
  • daniellerprescott
    Options
    I totally agree with everything!
    Offices are hell for dieters!
    I work for women to women, we specialize in women's health, hormonal balance and weight loss and there is still candy floating around!
    Sometimes some of us healthier eaters will bring in treats from Whole Foods, yes they can still be fattening but they have great ideas, like low sugar and low calorie treats.
    Veggie/fruit trays are nice too, once you do it a couple of times, others seem to catch on, like the last lunch party we had, I figured by asking around, everyone would want pizza but they actually requested low carb wraps and salad! I was so happy...
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

That reminds me WAY too much of Elaine on seinfeld and her sugar fix in the afternoon..."Get well get well soon we wish you to get well!"
    :laugh:

Of course, that would be very hard...I don't know what I'd do! I think maybe if some of the other co-workers are a smidge on the heavy side, maybe you could suggest brining in something to celebrate that is LOW in fat.......
    like angel food cake, or a veggie tray or something!
    Good luck!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    This is the one area i think coming here helps. Since i know i have to write it in here i think about it more...or figure out a way to cut calories somewhere else.
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    LOL thank you all so much! I love that I just posted this and already have so many replies! It really helps to know there are others going through the same thing at the same time! I'm definitly bringing fruits and veggies for the next " haa Rahh" I'm in charge of! One more question. My friend/co-worker and I are going to go out to luch today but want to try something other than SubWay, any ideas?
  • azlips2003
    azlips2003 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do when I see something tempting in the break room....imagine that everyone in the office has fingered them or sneezed on them! :laugh: :laugh:
    The best you can do is walk away and hope they are eaten up quickly. Worst case, cut one in half and only eat a small bite or two. Once you've tasted it you will probably be able to toss the rest! It's all about moderation not deprivation! :love:
  • azlips2003
    azlips2003 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you have Pei Wei restaurants near you? I just had the chicken salad rolls for lunch. Yummy! There are three servings per order and are 80 calories for servings. The sauces they give add some more but you can control that. www.peiwei.com has all of their nutritional information so it makes entering it here easy. Good luck!:wink:
  • Flowers21
    Flowers21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you...seems we have a variety of sabatour's in my office. It is like a treat buffet around here...ALL THE TIME!!!

I have started taking a detour to the bathroom that takes twice as long as the "goodie" route. At least I am getting a little exercise out of it.
  • jessjess
    Options
    Here's what I do when I see something tempting in the break room....imagine that everyone in the office has fingered them or sneezed on them! :laugh: :laugh:

Genius! :laugh:

I work with a guy who is always clearing his throat (most disgusting sound I've ever heard) and he's always picking his nose. Thanks to him being a disgusting individual...I am now able to avoid eating any community food here at work. :smile:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This is one of my pet peeves.
    Try this, its worked for me and you only have to do it once. :happy: Take what ever they are offering and walk it over to the trash and make a big production of throwing it away....all the while talking loudly of people trying to poison you with sugar and fat....and how evil it is and anything else gross you can think of. it makes them very nervous and believe me, no one will offer you any thing like that again, plus if you are rather militant about it (like me) they will even hide treats and their own snacks from you!! :glasses: I found its easier not to waffle about not wanting to deal with this. If I were allergic to something or diabetic or something people would be much more considerate of my needs, but they seem to have no problem at all trying to make me feel guilty about not eating their garbage. I spin it to make them feel guilty about eating it.....its great. when I am standing in the middle of the office screaming...."I have 48 inch hips and you dumb***ses are trying to feed me cake??? what's the matter with you??!!" :devil: just an idea, and it keeps things fun. :heart: