Will you help me put together a healthy menu?

Options
So I think if I get a healthy menu together, it will be easier to eat healthy if foods that are good for me are the only things available in the house. I was hoping to get some help making sure everything I plan to eat is good for me, but I know it might be some work. Thanks in advance to those who have the time to help!

I have a few questions though:
1) Does anyone have any suggestions for websites or books I can turn to with a good list of foods that are healthy?
2) Is granola okay? If I switch to fruit and yogurt and granola for breakfast, would that be healthy? (No, I do not eat the low-fat or fat-free yogurt, I can't stand the taste.)
3) What are some good mid-morning snacks that are not the same as fruit/yogurt/granola? I have some from a previous topic I posted, but I'll ask anyway. Lately it's been granola bars - are these okay? Is there a certain kind you recommend?

Any other suggestions that you have would be appreciated! Feel free to look at my food diary (it should be open)! I will do my best to graciously accept constructive criticism.

And I know I'm asking for a lot, so I don't expect everyone who reads this to go the full nine yards and become my personal nutritionalist, but thanks anyway for any suggestions you have!

Thanks!

Replies

• jennylynn84
    Options
    Eatingwell.com, Cooking light (online and books), Hungry Girl, Cook This Not That

I don't personally eat plain granola, but it is good. High fiber = filling

Mid-morning I always have yogurt, so I'm not much help there. Unless maybe some string cheese or some nuts (not sure what, if anything you have in the afternoon. Don't want to duplicate.)

Good granola bars - I love NUTrition. Not really a "Granola" bar per se. They're by Planters and they have a variety of flavors - around 160-170 cals. Or Kashi. The Chocolate almond mocha is AWESOME.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    2) Is granola okay? If I switch to fruit and yogurt and granola for breakfast, would that be healthy? (No, I do not eat the low-fat or fat-free yogurt, I can't stand the taste.)

Have you tried Dannon Light and Fit? Seriously, it's DELICIOUS....you can hardly tell it's fat-free. Mix it with a little fruit (something low sugar, like berries) and some granola, you're good to go.

As for granola: watch because some of it can be REALLY high in fat/cals. I go for the BearNaked Fit Vanilla Almond. Pretty low in fat, but still high in cals (140 for 1/4 cup) so I usually will just have 1/2 a serving instead.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Some ideas for breakfast: oatmeal (I put Splenda & cinnamon in mine), egg whites with some kind of white cheese-maybe some veggies, whole grain tooast w/peanut butter.

For a morning snack I usually have either yogurt or string cheese. Maybe try some of theose BabyBel cheeses.
  • missgreen74_2003
    missgreen74_2003 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i'm sure the yogurt is fine as long as it fits into your calorie goal. A snack i like to eat is pistashios or fresh cherries/blueberries. I try to stay away from granola.. not sure why lol. Carrots are also a good snack and if you like celery thats a good choice also.
  • missfebus
    Options
    weight watchers website has some terrific recipes that will help you with breakfast lunch and dinner. i personally dont eat granola bars because they dont fill me up at all and i'm famished an hour later. i find it more helpful to eat things that fill me up and keep me filled up. Like for breakfast I will make a breakfast smoothie with 1 tbsp protein powder, a cup of whatever fruit, a cup of plain yogurt and some honey. it tastes wonderful and it gives you the protein you need to keep your hunger at bay and energize you.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love apples with peanut butter or almond butter! Frozen grapes and cheese snack sticks are good too. I noticed the starbucks on your diary..I suggest trying tazo zen tea with soy milk. It's low in calories and really good. If you need a little more sweet in it add 2 pumps of peppermint! I never ever drank soy milk (never wanted to to be honest!) but this is sooo good. I don't even add the peppermint syrup anymore and it's still delicious! Feel free to look at my diary - although I just changed the format settings so my lunch and snacks are switched for some reason.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    for mid morning snacks I have had cottage cheese with fruits in it.
    Hummus with pita bread
    banana
    cheese.
    special k snack bars
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    popcorn, stove not bag, is always great. some peanut butter on toast, if you have any of the energy bars, but you have to watch calories and fat on those, clif bars and luna bars are great, you can also have some cereal, not with the milk, without, its good to crunch on throughout the day, also, there isnt anybody on here that would critcize your diary, thats how you learn, is to look at others diaries. feel free to look at my diaries. i am vegan so some items you can just make the equivalant, but maybe there will be some suggestions on there i forgot. good luck to you, and feel free to friend me for some encouragement.
  • skrupka
    Options
    The Yoplait Delights are only 100 calories and really delicious- have you tried them? Also, I substitute ground turkey and chicken for beef in recipes and use olive oil to cook it in.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Check out this website if you are planning meals: http://www.skinnytaste.com (Gina's Skinny Recipes)--I haven't had anything yet that I didn't love!
    Also for snacks... I love veggie slices or sticks, as they are super low in cals--if you pick something like bell pepper, they are sweet (and have great nutrients!), so you don't really need a dip :)
    Finally... Luna Bars! I love them for breakfast when I am burnt-out on yogurt--very natural, low glycemic (so you feel full longer), and lots of vitamins/nutrients as well. Peppermint Stick is my fave, and the least "granola" tasting.
    Good luck!
  • kitchentales
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone! I know have a beautiful list for the grocery store - but keep the ideas coming!!!
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Try to watch your sugar intake. Your goal should be around 24g and you are over 100g most days. There are lots of good protein bars that are low in sugar and really filing.

Mix your breakfast up with:

Oatmeal or cream of wheat
    Thomas - Beagle Thins with fat free cream cheese
    South Beach Living - Peanut Butter - Snack Bar Delights
    Lean pockets breakfast
    hard boiled eggs
    Apple

Make some home made protein shakes with fruit. Good Luck.
  • kitchentales
    Options
    Try to watch your sugar intake. Your goal should be around 24g and you are over 100g most days. There are lots of good protein bars that are low in sugar and really filing.

THANKS! I hadn't even looked at the sugar intake! I will be sure to watch it more closely now.
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use dry cereal mixed in with my yogurt instead of granola because I have more control over calories and fat that way...special k, cheerios, kix, oatmeal squares, etc...
    For snacks throughout the day I love fresh fruit, special k bars, fresh cut veggies with or without a low cal dip, wheat crackers with cheese, quaker mini caramel corn rice cakes, and popcorn (100 calorie bags).
    Feel free to add me as a friend, my diary is open to and it's nice to be able to share ideas!
  • kitchentales
    Options
    I use dry cereal mixed in with my yogurt instead of granola because I have more control over calories and fat that way...special k, cheerios, kix, oatmeal squares, etc...
    For snacks throughout the day I love fresh fruit, special k bars, fresh cut veggies with or without a low cal dip, wheat crackers with cheese, quaker mini caramel corn rice cakes, and popcorn (100 calorie bags).
    Feel free to add me as a friend, my diary is open to and it's nice to be able to share ideas!

What kind of low-cal dips do you recommend? I can eat some veggies plain, but things like carrots and broccoli I much prefer with a dip of some sort.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Try humus for your dips. It comes in a lot of flavors and they are yummy. You can make your own dip. Use fat free sour cream and add your own spices (dill, basil or rosemary).
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    For breakfast I always have a carton of egg whites in the refrigerator, Quaker Weight Control oatmeal(it has less sugar), and some good cereal...I have two small kids so I always have to grab a quick breakfast when were on the go so I make sure its a good one...Kashi has really good cereal with lots of fiber....

For snacks, I like the Laughing cow spreadable cheese wedges...Only 35 calories a wedge, and theres about six different flavors....You can eat those with wheat thins or dip veggies in the cheese...I also love Chobani Greek Yogurt...So many yummy flavors, its fat free and has double the protein of regular yogurt. Quaker granola bars as well as Kashi bars are good too..
  • shannon_stallone
    Options

What kind of low-cal dips do you recommend? I can eat some veggies plain, but things like carrots and broccoli I much prefer with a dip of some sort.

Hidden Valley Ranch dressing packet...Mix with fat free sour cream and chill in the refrigerator and you have a non fat ranch dip...Soo good!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm repeat myself a little. if you want to cook more from home using good wholesome ingredients, the best way to do it is to make a staples list. pick out a handful of recipes that you make fairly often, then keep the ingredients on hand at all times. it doesn't have to stop at those recipes ether start playing with your food try to find other ways of using the same ingredients. make use of the leftovers too, pocket pies frittatas, gratins, they don't have to be unhealthy when you control the ingredients instead of some recipe book.

as for snack foods, gorp, and granola bars, try to have some on me whenever I leave the house. as well as whole fat yogurt or a hard cooked egg, if I'm home.
  • cassieshinn
    cassieshinn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use a low fat greek yoghurt with granola for breakfast, but to add a little sweetness I add a handful of blueberries and half a teaspoon of clear honey. It is lovely and you can variate on the fruit. My hubby has even taken to this and it keeps us full till lunch.
    Also I try to have a pot in the fridge full of ready cut celery, carrot and pepper sticks this helps for snacking. Also it helps when my daughter is constantly telling me she is hungry, I can just give her a carrot stick!

Also cup a soup 'campbells' cream of tomato is less than 100 calories per mug, which is great for snacking. Plenty of water throughout the day to keep you feeling full.
    Hope this helps