College Lifestyle... Need Quick, Easy, Healthy Recipes!

Options
dedin
dedin Posts: 2
Hey all! I am a college student looking for some quick, easy and healthy recipes that I can make with my busy schedule! Any ideas?? Thanks!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Generally, you don't get all three. BUT... there are a lot of great recipes out there that can be prepared in large batches, and then frozen to be reheated later. I suggest cooking on the weekends and freezing stuff so you have it to eat during the week.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Go to womenshealth.com I know menshealth has tons of easy recipe ideas. Good luck
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen fish or organic chicken breasts every week. You can get some brown rice, or white rice and frozen veggies or bag salad with Newmans Own light Balsamic dressing. I usualy just bake the fish with veggies or marinade, then make vegetables or rice to go on the side. all in all dinner usualy takes about 30 minutes. I always make foil packets to cook in and I cook them on a pizza pan, easy. You can also make soup at the end of the week and put it in boxes for the rest of the week. Right now i'm working on some amazing veggie chili I made. I got stuff for frito pie, chilli cheese dogs and of course, just plain chili! Pick something that can be versatile or serve it with different sides to change it up.

Here's a link to the veggie chili, its SUPER cheap, SUPER easy and SUPER delicious:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Unbelievably-Easy-and-Delicious-Vegetarian-Chili/Detail.aspx

I used black beans instead of white beans and I think its probably a good idea to do that. I also sautee my onions in the pan first with the "meat" before adding the other ingredients.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    The thing you need is a crock pot. I am a college student and mom and it is a lifesaver. You can throw all of your ingredients together in the morning and then it is ready for you in the evening. There is a great recipe book by crock pot that has over 500 recipes. There is a great one in there for low-fat chili. It is the best thing ever.
  • cjc123
    cjc123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try This one.

Southern Apricot Chicken

1 half Chicken breast (skinless, boneless)
    1 Tbsp Lite Sour Cream (or nonfat sour cream)
    1 Tbsp Apricot Preserves (can substitute Orange Marmalade if your prefer)
    1 tsp Dijion mustard

Mix the sauce ingredients until completely mixed. Set aside.
    Either bake or sautee the chicken until done. Pour 1/2 sauce over the chicken. Reserve the remaining sauce for dipping.

This recipe comes out great. Even my picky kids will eat it and boy is it fast!

PS It is also low in sodium.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have a crock pot and I'll just cook chicken/beef at night or while I'm in class
  • dedin
    dedin Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks all!!!! Those are all great suggestions! And I am off to get a crockpot!
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm a college student and I just made this, a healthy tuna noodle casserole. http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/476
    It's easy and healthy, and it smells good while it's cooking though I haven't tried it yet. :)
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

I am getting ready to go back to school next fall. I'm not a very good cook! So I think this might be helpful!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student and I have some staple foods that I always have in my dorm that I could not live without.

-oats
    -nut butter of all kinds! (peanut, almond, hazelnut, etc.)
    -rice cakes
    -trail mix
    -dried fruit and seeds
    -microwave brown rice (organic and flavored)
    -organic soup
    -canned pumpkin
    -spices like cinnamon, perfect pinch, pumpkin pie spice
    -salt/pepper/sweetener
    -a few condiments like salad dressing or salsa
    -frozen meat/fish such as cooked shrimp and frozen veggie mix
    -almond milk (does not have to be refrigerated)

When looking for non-perishables, I try to get things that cover a wide range of food groups. The spices and condiments come in handy for mixing up something to make a meal! they may seem unimportant, but you really can't make a tasty meal without them!

To get fruit and things, I look for anything sitting out in my college's cafeteria. Sometimes they put out whole pieces of fruit like apples or grapefruit to put color in their display. I take a few and put them in my bookbag. If they weren't for taking, they wouldn't be sitting out with the other food right? I do feel really cheap when I do this, but produce is expensive!
  • irishbean
    Options
    I am not a person who ever eats microwave meals, but when I started watching what I ate, my mom suggested the Lean Cuisine meals. I am a college student too and needed something that was quick and something that actually filled me up and tasted good. I was really surprised how good they are and how many different options you have. I usually only eat them for supper and do a sandwich for lunch. If you get sick of the same old sandwiches everyday, switch it up each week. I make egg salad (6 hard boiled eggs and a 1/2cup (or 3/4 cup) of light mayonaise) at the beginning of the week so I don't have to worry about making anything all week. 6 eggs makes about 8 sandwiches, and I put quite a bit on each sandwich. Also, if you like vegetables but don't like to eat them raw and plain, buy some Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix, and mix it with light sour cream....its SOOO much better than plain salad dressing. Hope that helps!