Logging Running Time/Calories

Options
So, Ive been running alot recently, but its been hard to work out exactly how fast to put into my exercise diary.

I mean, if I ran 3miles in 1hr I'd put it in as "3mph for 1hr" but this seems to think 3mph is a light walking speed : S

Then I found this Running Calculator:
http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/tools/calculators/caloriecounter.asp

Should I carry on as I've been doing or use the calculator? because I think walking 3mph and running 3mph are gonna burn different calorie amounts, yea?

Replies

• staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    3mph sounds more like jogging on the spot speed i would just use a HRM though only way to be sure
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    walking and running are all about speed if a runner runs slower than a walker walk they will burn less calories. so go with the calulator
    chekced my run keeper for an ex 1 hour 15 sec 4.70 miles pace 12.49 per mile burned 573 calorie
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    3 mph is actually a walking speed. If you are running or jogging- are you sure that you are going 3 mph?
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Are you switching between walking and running? Because if you jog 3 miles in one hour, that means you're running a 20 minute mile. If you switch between walking and running, I would estimate about how long you run and how long you walk. It can make a difference.

But like someone already said, if you've got the money to spend, invest in a heart rate monitor. Good stuff. :)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    3 mph is actually a walking speed. If you are running or jogging- are you sure that you are going 3 mph?
    Agree - that means it's taking you 20 minutes to walk a mile. I know everyone is different, but I can walk a mile in 15 minutes.
  • magickclaire
    Options
    Im just jogging really slowly, tiny steps and all, but its getting my heart rate up, I can walk a mile and not get heart rate up : S
  • katiedaisy
    katiedaisy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard most people average about 100 calories burned per mile, whether you are walking or running. (If you're running, you just burn those 100 calories faster).
    I don't know how accurate that is, but that is the estimate I use when logging calories burned.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I would go with MFPs estimate, then. Unless you're interesting in buying a heart rate monitor, I usually always trust what MFP says. It's not perfect, but it's good enough. :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're only covering 3 miles in that hour?? Perhaps you've not measured your distance correctly? Have you tried www.mapmyrun.com to measure your routes?

A 20-minute-mile really can't be considered "running" pace. The absolute slowest newbies in our running group are doing 13-minute mile at the absolute slowest, and that's shuffling at a pace where both feet never leave the ground at the same time (which I understood was where fast walking becomes running, when both feet are off the floor!).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The short answer is: There is no equation or calculator to predict calories burned at that running speed. Most calorie calculators for running and walking use energy prediction equations from the American College of Sports Medicine. Since running and walking are simple movements, it's easier to develop prediction equations that are reliable for larger groups.

And there definitely is a difference physiologically between walking and running. These equations define "running" as a speed 5.0 mph and higher, and "walking" as 4.2 mph and lower.

This was not meant as a "value judgement" against slower runners. It's just that, biomechanically, there is too much individual variation in running styles and gait to develop an equation that can consistently predict energy expenditure for running at those speeds. The ACSM has acknowledged that in their latest editions of exercise and fitness guidelines.

The same holds true for walking at speeds greater than 4.2 mph.

So, you can take the estimate for walking at those speeds and add more calories--say 40% to 50%. You can use a HRM, but it won't be much more accurate (although you will get the added ability to monitor intensity).

The important thing is that you are trying to push yourself and improve your fitness.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I heard most people average about 100 calories burned per mile, whether you are walking or running. (If you're running, you just burn those 100 calories faster).
    I don't know how accurate that is, but that is the estimate I use when logging calories burned.

That's a common cliche, but it is only partly true. I suspect it started during the "running boom" days, when runners were a lot younger and a lot thinner.

It is true that however many calories one burns per mile, they will burn that same amount per mile regardless of speed, but there is a different "scale" for walking and running.

For example, let's say I burn 100 calories per mile walking at 3 mph. Within the range of walking speeds (up to 4.2 mph), I will burn 100 calories per mile no matter how fast I walk. However, when I run, I will burn 150 calories per mile. And, again, I will burn the same 150 per mile at any running speed (above 5.0 mph).