Walking

Options
I'm just wondering if walking is a good alternative to running? and if it will improve my fitness? I absolutely hate running so instead i've started walking to work the last couple of days instead of getting the bus. It's about 2.5 miles and I walk at a rate of approx 3.5mph according to an app on my iphone. I do other exercise as well such as going to the gym and Jillian Michaels DVDs. So is walking ok to do as an alternative to running? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I walk to work too, similar to the distance you're walking. I've been doing it for 5 years on a daily basis, and I've still managed to put on 20 lbs, so it's not perfect by itself :) It's good to get the heart rate up sometimes and sweat it out. But your walking is certainly not going to hurt! But just don't let that be your only cardio. Good luck!!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    any exercise is a good thing I hate running also but love to dance so I do that if you try to do things that you don't enjoy then you are going to give up and then that achieves nothing xx
  • sarrah2903
    Options
    Walking is definitely a good thing do. No point in forcing yourself to run if it's not for you, as you just won't keep it up. I've started walking to work since I moved house, and it's only about 1.5 miles each way which I do at around 3.5-4 mph and I can honestly say that I'm seeing a big difference with the weight coming off and i definitely feel better for it.

Keep it up! x
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    At 400lbs I would never even think of running and so I power walk (5.0) rate with 3lb weights in each hand everyday as my only form of cardio for the time being .... I will start Zumba soon and I enjoy playing the wii and xbox fitness games
  • Lauz_88
    Lauz_88 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation guys, I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who hates running! I'm deffinitely going to keep up the walking to work, it'll save me money as well! I'm a nurse and spend a good 7-10 hours a day on my feet at the hospital, I only sit down for my 30 minute break, so i'm probably burning a lot of calories there as well.