Starting P90x and needing advice

Options
Hey! I'm new to the fitnesspal site, however, I have the ap on my phone and have been following it, probably not as best as I should be! But my question is, I got the P90x dvds from a friend, and I tried the first week, but I was so sore! I'm also a former college softball player who is 23- ruptured 3 discs in my back (and have now gained about 30 lbs extra since softball when i was already not that small), and will probably not be having any kind of treatment on them anytime soon. So my question is, should I try the P90x lean workout first, and possible not get so sore, or should I restart the classic workout and just take it easier and modify more moves, because honestly yoga seems impossible with a bad back!! Thanks!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You should really get this type of advice from your doctor.

It would be very important for you to modify the moves, I would stay away from the plyometrics DVD. And yes, if you insist and trying this out then you should start with the lean version.
  • rblunier
    Options
    Just do as many reps as you can, each week you will be able to do a little more. I am a female and 56yrs old and I did it and so does my son. who is 35. I lost 20 pounds and really toned up. I stopped after 3 mo and I am tring to get myself motivated to get going again.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree with edorice....
    I would like to add, I am doing the Lean version and continued to remain sore for the entire first 3 weeks+, so I don't think it's just the Classic that will do it to you. Good luck with it...and enjoy! :)
  • Dunc11
    Dunc11 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I just didn't know if lean was a little less intense, since I haven't really worked out hardcore since I played ball! The doctors from the University I played at have told me that I'm pretty much free to do what I can stand to do, since I can't further injure the discs (I've lucked out in that I'm not in any extreme pain, just discomfort).
  • scubastevo
    Options
    I'll throw in my .02 cents....

For background, I started P90X 90 days prior to my big 4-0 bday. I completed two rounds of the Classic level 90 days, one right after the other. I started with a good knowledge of how to work out and what to do, but needed some motivation to do it. I also have back problems with a herniated disc. Although its not a constant problem, it does get extremely painful for weeks at a time, then I'll be fine for a few months.

I'll say right off that mid-way through my first 90 days, I found the yoga session to be long, boring, and by far the worst of the workouts. I would usually complete half of the yoga workout then move on to abs. The second time around, I skipped yoga altogether and substituted jogging that day.

Some say P90X is just too unbearable and not a good system. I think you just have to keep in mind that the point is to build on each session; you don't have to complete every rep of every set of every exercise in order to get benefit. Even at the end of the second session, there were still several exercises that i couldn't keep up with Tony.

Here's the main benefit to P90X in my mind....If you give your best effort each session, even if you don't complete it, you will end up stronger, faster, more fit and more flexible. The fittest I've ever been was in my college soccer days. At 40, after the first round, I would say my core was stronger, abs were very nice, and I had just as much spring in my legs as in college. And....no back pain, probably due to core exercises and ab work. Now...unlike in college, I couldn't sprint 4 miles from training with P90X, but I don't think that's what it's meant for.

So the short answer to your question, in my opinion, is that the Lean program will still have the ab work and core work, but adds more cardio. Back strength comes from your core, abs, and hamstrings, so I think if you start it knowing you'll have to build up to more reps and more exercises, you will like it. I might also suggest substituting jogging or other cardio for one or two workouts if weight loss is your priority.
  • Dunc11
    Options
    Thanks scubastevo! I think I'm going to get through the weekend and start over again monday. Weightloss is my main goal with this, as I no longer look athletic like I used to, as well as overall fitness. I just hope not to bulk up too much, since we did a lot of lifting in college and I can build fairly large muscles. I also might try substituting the cardio x or maybe the core workout for the yoga and or plyo (depending on how my back is feeling that day). I'm not physically ready to jog I think, since not only do I have a bad back, but also the added weight, which is surely not good for my knees (I am a former catcher and have played it for 10 years). However, maybe this can help me get back into running, especially, and no offense, if everyone who is older than me can do it!!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would also double check with your doctor with regards to your back. Also, you may feel you need to REALLY modify (or even eliminate) some of the Ab Ripper moves...they may put entirely too much stress on your weak back at first.
  • Dunc11
    Options
    Would supplementing some of my less intense back rehab excercises (which also work abs) be helpful? I also got a stability ball for abs since getting up off the floor tends to be kinda hard for me