were having hamburgers for dinner tonight...

Options
were having burgers w/ fries (going to bake the fries) tonight. i need some suggestions on how to cook the burgers without them being really greasy. Also how much meat to use per burger? i know the rule of thumb for meat is the size of your palm. but how thick?
i just dont want to be blind to what im really eating

Replies

• togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i make turkey burgers and always make them on the george forman ..... not too sure how much meat to use because i always buy the pattys
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For a future thought.. I make turkey burgers and they're delicious!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use lean ground turkey that I cook on a Cuisinart Griddler so any excess fats that might come out drain away from the burger. About 1/4 lb portions with Sara Lee 80 Calories and Delightful Whole Wheat buns. And I use my buns as a guide for the size. I make the burgers about a quarter of an inch bigger around than the bun then when they shrink when they cook, they fit perfectly on the buns.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    For a future thought.. I make turkey burgers and they're delicious!
    I'll remember that for next time! My boyfriend did the shopping last so I've been having to find ways to make things less horrible for me.
  • nbct08
    nbct08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you buy fresh ground turkey at the market or in a pound package like sausage comes in? Do you add anything to your turkey?
  • AADLONG
    AADLONG Posts: 12
    Options
    I use this website to find out info on food I am going to eat. type the food info in the search then hit hourglass and look for food and fitness. It gives you even resturant info at a glance. If you sign up and put in your weight info it has an amazing part that tell you how many calories you burn doing just about anything you can imagine.

http://www.livestrong.com/
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    Do you buy fresh ground turkey at the market or in a pound package like sausage comes in? Do you add anything to your turkey?
    its not turkey. its ground beef.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stick w/ ground meat (turkey OR beef) w/ a fat % 10 or under. You can cook them in a pan with a little salt on the bottom, no need to add oil unless the meat is 97% fat free or leaner and even then you could get away w/ cooking spray. I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4ths an inch thick and that should keep you around a quarter pound.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    If you bought 1lb ground beef make 4 burgers out of it. If you bought 1.5lb ground beef make 6 burgers.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I make bison burgers and its pretty lean too, but something different! If you google "bison burger recipes" you'll find a lot.
  • wolfchild59
    Options

I've had the fresh ground turkey from a market but the mild OCDness in my brain prefers having the nutritional info to be able to enter exactly the right info into my log, so I'll usually get the Jennie O extra lean ground turkey.

If I'm in a hurry, I just buy the pre-made patties so I don't add anything extra in the mix. But I'll usually add a slice of skim milk cheese and/or some sauteed onions (do them in a good non-stick pan and use no oil/spray) to the burger before eating.

When I buy the ground meat I'll usually add 1/4 cup of 100% egg white to help the burgers stay together after formed and then just an assortment of stuff depending on my mood. Maybe something spicy like some chili powder or cayenne, some parsley, onion powder, garlic powder and just a touch of Lawry's Seasoned salt just because my mom always did. lol But what I put in varies and sometimes I throw in wortershire sauce, dried onion flakes, chopped roasted garlic, just kind of whatever sounds good that night. :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Not that it's any help now but my best diet item purchase was a small george foreman grill - about $20 and nothing is greasy.
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    Yeah, I would say that about 90% of everything I cook is on two items in my kitchen - my Cuisinart Griddler (it has interchangable plates for either griddle or grill) and my All Clad non-stick pan (which is so awesome I pretty much only ever use a spritz of cooking spray if I'm making eggs, but I've even done them without and been fine)

The other 10% is divided between the oven, the microwave and a 2qt pot.
  • nbct08
    nbct08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made turkey burgers tonight using a package of onion soup mix and a splash or two of soy sauce. Yum.