Need a recipe for...

Options
c7eat2live
c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
Hey All! I need a simple and delicious way to cook a bunch of boneless skinless chicken thighs!!! preferably not in a grill-type manner because I dont feel like going through the trouble :) Anyone have a good suggestion? I would like to keep the sodium down too if possible.
Thanks so much!

Replies

• c7eat2live
    Options
    There is also stuff in the fridge such as leeks, red potatoes, green onion, regular onion and garlic, kale and spinach. hmmmm....
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    Throw them in a crock pot with a low-sodium bbq sauce. Let them cook, and then shred it up!

Or, just cook them in the crock pot with some low-sodium chicken stock or water...Then, when they're done...shred them up and make absolutely anything with it! You can also freeze leftovers!
    (I make chicken quesadillas this way...only I use Toufayan low-cal wraps for it!)
  • tifanieb
    tifanieb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i love taking a bag of frozen feggies of anykind and cutting my thighs in strips throwing it all in my electric skillet with garlic, worchesire sauce and a little low sodium soy sauce, then i serve it over rice, it is quick cheap and tastes great!!! you can use brown rice and it tastes great too!!!

I also put them into a baking dish with evoo and lemon pepper and garlic and baking at 375 for 35-40 minutes and serve with veggies or side salad!! very low sodium.
  • tammydspice
    Options
    Hi

throw them in a freezer bag with a couple TBsp each orange, lemon and lime juice and some dried thyme and oregano leave it over night and bake them in the oven!! YUMMY!!!

Tammy
  • c7eat2live
    Options
    yum those both sound sooo good! Im thinking maybe baking since Im actually not sure where my mother keeps the crock pot (Im housesitting :) and then roasting the red potatoes in evoo and herbs...
  • Kathy2510
    Options
    This is a recipe I use with Chicken Breasts but I'm will be just as good with thighs. Low fat and low sodium

Sweet Potatoes - 1 or 2 thinly sliced
    skinless boneless chicken
    1 can of ocean spray cranberry sauce ( I prefer the whole berry)

Layer bottom of baking dish with sweet potatoe
    Put chicken on top of potatoes
    Layer cranberry sauce over entire dish
    Cover and bake until done (if the potatoe is not thin enough they will not get soft - sometimes I put the potatoe in the microwave to get them started before putting the dish together and into the oven because the chicken doesn't take too long to bake)
    You can add as much salt as you wish. No salt is very bland, but this came from a low sodium recipe somewhere.....

Sorry this isn't the best writing but I'm sure you get the idea.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Throw them in a crock pot with a low-sodium bbq sauce. Let them cook, and then shred it up!

Hey! That's what I was about to suggest! I'm having crockpot shredded BBQ chicken tonight for dinner. :)

Anyways... I make salsa chicken with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I have no idea if it'd be different with thighs, but you could give a try. I use about 1.5 pounds of chicken, 1 cup of salsa, 1 can of rotel tomatoes, 1 cup diced onion, and 3 tsp of reduced sodium taco seasoning. Just pour everything into a crockpot, sprinkle with salt, pepper, or chili powder, and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 4 hours. You can alter the amount of salsa, tomatoes, and onions depending on how much chicken you use. Really, REALLY good with baked tostidos, cheese, and guacamole. YUM!
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Diet coke!! And lots of veggies!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I came up with this one that's pretty good. You can used boneless thighs or boneless breasts. Take one large jar of the cheapest salsa of your choice (mild, med., hot)--the cheap stuff usually has less junk in it. Check a few cheap ones for sodium. Put the chicken in a skillet, pour the salsa over it and rinse the jar with a little water and pour that in. Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to a simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve with plain brown or white rice and spoon the "sauce" over the chicken and rice. If you are making this for more than 2 or 3 then, double the salsa. One jar of salsa is enough for about 4 pcs. of chicken. I also add a vegetable like steamed or roasted cauliflower or broccoli. Even a nice green salad would be good too.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Bake in the oven in olive oil , chilli, garlic, tarragon and halved cherry tomatoes DELICIOUS
  • ctonyan
    Options
    Sounds like it would be a great soup!! You have everything you need, unless you want to use Chicken Broth instead of making your own..
  • dmhaag
    dmhaag Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you've got a bottle of wine, you've got coq au vin (You could also do chicken stock for kid friendly if you're worried about that). I made it last week with boneless skinless chicken thighs, leeks, potatoes, carrots, a red bell pepper, and a bay leaf. You can brown the thighs first or not (tastes better if you do). Make a light roux (cooked very short time just till mixed well) with 2 T butter and 2 T flour in the bottom of the hot pot (instead you could do a 1 T corn starch slurry after the liquid is hot, if you aren't comfortable with roux), then pour in a whole bottle of wine (I used white, but traditionally red). Put chicken back in pot with the chunked up veggies and bay leaf and let simmer for 45 mins to an hour. I also add rosemary, thyme, and small dash of red chili flakes...and of course salt and pepper, but put whatever herbs and seasonings you like. You can also put in the oven for 2-3 hours on 300 for slow cooked. Serve over rice or egg noodles.
  • ahayter82
    Options
    I season mine with Rotisserie Seasoning then cook them in a frying pan with non stick olive oil stray. Tastes great and doesnt take much time. I had that last night with green beans and califlower rice. Yum
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    O crock pot everythiing unless I use my indoor grill. Thighs are great with a can of pineapplei n its own juice, peppers, onions,carrots, etc . I use the juice with a little lite soy, cornstarch and a squeeze of lime. Cook on high about 4 hours-YUM

I also use canned tomatoes A LOT. Simmer the chicken in the stove with some Pam olive oil and dump your choice of canned tomatoes over it and let it simmer till done. You can also add veggies or brown rice as you desire. Quick and easy.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    bump
  • apw75
    apw75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A favorite at my house is to sprinkle both sides of the chicken pieces with celery salt and paprika, bake on an oven sheet sprayed with nonstick spray at 450F for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, turning over halfway through, until done. This can be done with drumsticks, thighs, or leg quarters.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Lemon Chicken

Slice up an onion and cook it slowly in a non stick pan (I would add some olive oil here, but you don't have to) till it goes brown and yummy.
    While this is cooking, but a tablespoon of flour, some paprika and dried oregano in a plastic bag, add the chicken cut into chunks and shake it all about.
    Put it into the pan with the onion, cook til it is brown on the outside.
    Add a splash of white wine (leave it out if you don't like it or have it) and some chicken stock (low salt or homemade would be best) plus lemon juice to taste (I'd use about 2 tbspn) to cover the chicken and cook it slowly, stirring often til it turns into a yummy sauce.
    I add green veges like broccoli, green beans or baby spinach when it is nearly done.

Serve with brown rice, pasta or more veges. One pot, delicious, and tastes even better the next day!

I made this last week and for the quantities I used, it came in at 385 calories including pasta.