HOW much fiber?

Options
I read an article today stating the average American gets just 11 grams of fiber a day. 11! National recommendations are 20-30 grams a day.

Since I've been trying to eat healthy for so long (been on MFP since May) I just can't fathom what I would eat to be so low as 11 grams. I typically average 40-50 grams a day, and have been up in the 70-80 gram region on a few days where beans were part of my lunch and my dinner....

My question to you guys out there is how many grams of fiber to you average a day?? Did you see a significant increase when you joined MFP?

Replies

• everet36
    Options
    I read an article today stating the average American gets just 11 grams of fiber a day. 11! National recommendations are 20-30 grams a day.

Since I've been trying to eat healthy for so long (been on MFP since May) I just can't fathom what I would eat to be so low as 11 grams. I typically average 40-50 grams a day, and have been up in the 70-80 gram region on a few days where beans were part of my lunch and my dinner....

My question to you guys out there is how many grams of fiber to you average a day?? Did you see a significant increase when you joined MFP?

I range anywhere from 20-40. I have some days when I'm low but not usually. I tend to get most of my fiber from cereal actually....and I buy those sugary fiber bars. Fruits and veggies are great but I don't eat enough of them for that to be my only source. I love beans...but I don't love how they make me feel a few hours later lol
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Lol @ beans comment... They can be very bad. Especially when combined with cardio and heavy weights.
    Bad for you and those in the immediate vicinity...
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I happen to love a lot of high fiber foods and can easily take in 30-50 grams per day.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I average around 20 but now i'm thinking maybe i should try and incorporate more!! I just noticed too that my daily goal for Fiber changes everyday! Why is that?
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started, I've always gone OVER in fiber by at least 10...it's everything else that's at a deficit...fat, sodium, etc are always under.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Looking back over the past week or so, I averaged about 20. That was with way too much fast food in there and not really focusing on fiber. I don't usually eat breakfast cereals except oatmeal so most fiber comes from whole grain breads/rice or fruits and veggies. I can easily see how I could have gotten much less than that when I wasn't paying as much attention to what I ate.

I have my fiber set at 25g and don't stress too much if it is around there. I have noticed lately that it changes with the other nutrients when I add exercise though!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started, I've always gone OVER in fiber by at least 10...it's everything else that's at a deficit...fat, sodium, etc are always under.

I think MFP is using the US minimum daily level for fiber and I know *more* is usually recommended on the health sites I read. I manually changed my MFP settings to a minium of 40g for fiber so it doesn't tell me I've gone over =)
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    I usually average between 30 and 40 g of fiber every day. I get most of my calories every day from fruits and vegetables so getting enough fiber never seems to be a problem. I'm with you though, I can't imagine only averaging 11 g a day.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I average around 20 but now i'm thinking maybe i should try and incorporate more!! I just noticed too that my daily goal for Fiber changes everyday! Why is that?
    the fiber suggestion is based on calorie suggestion so less calories would mean less fiber and so on.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Some days I get ridiculous amounts of fiber like 67 grams or so. I have mine set at 40 because of a high fiber diet.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I try to get as much as I can without going over my calories. Usually I am running between 25 to 50, but there are days where it goes over 70. Getting 11g a day would not be hard if you eat stuff like white bread, white pasta, and lots of other highly processed foods, which is what most people in North America do.