Six fixes for hunger

Options
Six fixes for hunger
Posted: Dec 4th 2007 1:27PM by Martha Edwards
Filed under: Healthy Habits, Diet and Weight Loss

Dieting? Hungry? Those two seem to go hand in hand. After all, diets are all about deprivation, right? Wrong. You don't have to be hungry when you diet. You just need to be smart about how you're eating. If you're hungry and trying to lose weight, here are some things to munch on from WebMD:

Protein. It really is best for curbing hunger and keeping you full for a long time.

Fiber. Fiber slows down the rate at which food gets processed in your body, which means it will fill you up and keep you full.

Nuts. nuts add protein to your diet and they're a good source of healthy fat too.

Exercise. If you get some activity in when you're hungry, you'll curb your appetite. Try it -- it works!
Keep your hands busy. Eat something that requires some work -- think edamame or nuts in the shell. It will help distract you while you eat.

Taste something. Sometimes pleasing your tastebuds will alleviate hungry. Try some herbal tea, a mint or some gum.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Six fixes for hunger

Dieting? Hungry? Those two seem to go hand in hand. After all, diets are all about deprivation, right? Wrong. You don't have to be hungry when you diet. You just need to be smart about how you're eating. If you're hungry and trying to lose weight, here are some things to munch on from WebMD:

Protein. It really is best for curbing hunger and keeping you full for a long time.

Fiber. Fiber slows down the rate at which food gets processed in your body, which means it will fill you up and keep you full.

Nuts. nuts add protein to your diet and they're a good source of healthy fat too.

Exercise. If you get some activity in when you're hungry, you'll curb your appetite. Try it -- it works!
    Keep your hands busy. Eat something that requires some work -- think edamame or nuts in the shell. It will help distract you while you eat.

Taste something. Sometimes pleasing your tastebuds will alleviate hungry. Try some herbal tea, a mint or some gum.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    This is great! And totally true! Everyone should look at this!!:bigsmile:

*Kistinbee*
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    fantastic ideas!

i wonder if a fiber supplement (like benefiber or citrucel) would work? since fiber is supposed to make you feel full...? and these don't have much in the way of calories.
  • lacotto
    lacotto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also, drink a glass of water. Sometimes when you feel hungry, it's actually your body screaming for fluids! If you're still hungry after your water, give it a couple minutes and then eat something. This is one of many tricks I learned when I was doing a medically supervised version of the Atkins Diet in high school.

You can even try having an apple or a pear. Studies have a shown that eating an apple or a pear within the course of the day will help you consume less calories during the day. It is also a great pick me up when you only have a 10 minute break during the day at work.
  • Seneca26
    Options
    :smile: Pears and apples I haven't heard that one. I need to try that. Water I know is a must for sure at least 8 glasses. Would stuff like fitness water and gatorade subsitute for water?
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    Just watch the labels - alot of them are loaded with sugar.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats a nice big glass of plain water. The fitness water and gatorade is full of processed sugar, so you will have to watch how much you intake.

Pears and apples work great because they are so full of fiber. And the natural sweetness of the fruit will satisfy the sweet tooth.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks "can do" for all the information that you give us daily. :flowerforyou:
  • Morecatslady
    Options
    Six fixes for hunger

• Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that! Great ideas :happy:
  • Morecatslady
    Options
    Six fixes for hunger

• Morecatslady
    Options
    Also, drink a glass of water. Sometimes when you feel hungry, it's actually your body screaming for fluids! If you're still hungry after your water, give it a couple minutes and then eat something. This is one of many tricks I learned when I was doing a medically supervised version of the Atkins Diet in high school.

You can even try having an apple or a pear. Studies have a shown that eating an apple or a pear within the course of the day will help you consume less calories during the day. It is also a great pick me up when you only have a 10 minute break during the day at work.
  • Morecatslady
    Options
    lacotto,
    I've done the water thing too, and it helps for a while. The apple and pear thing sounds great! Have to remember that. Thanks for this info.
    morecatslady
  • Morecatslady
    Options
    Hi icandoit,
    This is great info. I've done the eating of protein stuff and that helps me. Plus, lower carbs and calories and for the protein. The info. that lacotto gave about the pear and apples is helpful too. Lots of fiber that's good for the body.:smile: I haven't tried that yet, but can see where it would be especially helpful to someone on a time budget like me who works in a kitchen and has to do a lot of things in a specific time before I go home( I'm a kitchen manager for this kitchen). Because I'm very busy I don't think about eating as much, but my tummy tells me I'm hungry! So, the above info. is very helpful.Thanks.
    Morecatslady