I'm so done

Options
I'm so done with the way things have been going. It's been a really rough few weeks in my life. I am majorly stressed and my anxiety levels are over flowing.

I did good in the beginning. I ate pretty good foods, I weighed once a week (sometimes once in the middle) and I started seeing a loss. Lately, in part because of the other stress in my life, I have been weighing every day. I see no loss, or even gains here and there. Now logically I KNOW it's the over all progress. But I let myself get more depressed and discouraged. Then I end up eating. I am staying within my calories, but barely. I'm eating things that aren't good for me almost every day instead of a treat every now and then. And I'm not exercising because of other issues in my life.

I'm failing, and I can't allow this to happen. This is going to be a bad weekend, filled with a lot of stress. So I'm not making myself huge promises. I have a ton of college work to do, have to take my two teens all over the place all weekend and chase my toddler.

However, I won't go overboard.

Starting Monday I am giving myself a fresh start. I am hiding my scale in my teen daughter's room (believe me I won't find it) and I am not weighing myself again until the date of my first "goal weight challenge" I gave myself, which is Feb 26th. I am going back to eating the right things. And exercising at least 20 minutes every day.

Replies

• Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Good luck, the scale is a little monster. My weigh in date is every Friday. Yeah right, I am finally starting to go 2 - 3 days between weigh ins.
  • LizzieBrayden
    Options
    Remember, there is no such thing as failure...only altered trials and errors that can be improved upon. Stress is hard to deal with. you might want to try doing a few very quick and rough sketches in a diary to help with this. I put people and situations into very funny cartoons that help me deal with stress. And, it's faster than doing words. Does the same thing, though....it allows me to laugh at me, which makes stress fly out the window.

Lizzie
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Keep eating well, it's so tough at first but if you keep at it you will find it gets easier and easier to choose the right foods (and right amounts!) Tell the stress to BUG OFF and try your best to take a deep breath and get your college work done... get your errands done... take another deep breath and see how much you've accomplished. :)

I like to make lists! What I eat, what I need to do, what I've already done, where I need to go, what needs done before what time. Lists really help ease my stress and let me see that there really isn't too much that I need to do. It doesn't work for everyone but if you'd like to give it a try, I hope it helps you!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    It is sooo hard not to weigh too many times a week. It seems like the scale beckons to me as I pass by. Makes me wonder if just MAYBE I might have lost a little.......a lot of times I show a gain and I get frustrated. I am trying to learn to weigh at regular intervalsnow, too. I am getting a little better. Stay strong and persevere through your troubles. Luck to you!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Wow I feel this same way I was 182 on Jan 1 and last week I was at 177.6 Well Today I was 178.6 I've been doing so good and even stepped it up on my exercise Instead of 30 minutes 6 days/wk I done 1 hr 6 days/wk So I just don't get it But I do see some places where I can improve I should drink more water and limit my sodium intake So today I got lots of low sodium foods and I'm hoping that will work I'm not starting back on Monday though I refuse to let myself "start over" I've done that so many times So I'm still continuing and I'm gonna see what I weigh on Monday I hope we both meet our goals !!! We can do this !!!
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The first step is to have a plan and the second step is to follow through so good luck and we are here for you .... I think i am becoming addicted to the scale as I weigh myself everytime i use the bathroom however I only record the weight from Sunday morning ... wish I could hide my scale but with a 1 bedroom apartment not too many places to put it .... YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • willowyn
    Options
    Don't let it get you down. As I always told myself "If i stop now, it's not the right time or mindset to do this." It wasn't till my FFIL passed away and I had total control of everything i was eating and doing that i seriously started on my track to losing weight. It doesn't have to be a life changing event to get you on track, it has to be your embracement of a new way of life to suceed.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    Good job for picking a new starting date! Your not giving up, just in a rut. We all get there let me tell ya! Family and everyday stresses, (mostly family here) drive me crazy. I have family that think i'm "faking" going on a diet and others that are jelous because in 2 weeks i lost weight.

Get back on the right track :) we are here for you! Monday is a new day, a new begining and a new start to your goals
  • Brightlyte
    Options
    Realize that as you are starting to exercise, you are also gaining muscle and muscle adds weight but it's not a bad thing. Take measurements, take pictures every week to reassure yourself. Understanding the science behind the weight loss will also help you to overcome these set backs. Stay focused! :smile:
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed. But you are doing great. First you reached out and asked for a little support that's fantastic, congratulations on that. Two, you see one of your triggers for spiraling mental attitude, that damn scale. Now that you know it, you can work on that too. And three, you say your not actually eating over, so cut yourself some slack. Food is not evil, there is no good and bad, just calories and energy. You stayed within your calories even with all that stress and pressure. You are doing great!!!!!!

Good luck on your journey, your kicking butt.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    Try setting little goals for yourself!! And remember, just because the scale doesn't move, doesn't mean you AREN'T LOSING INCHES!!! The scale can be frustrating, trust me...I know this. Set an agenda for yourself....plan out your meals. You can do this! You have so many people here pulling for you to succeed!!!
  • jsric
    jsric Posts: 26
    Options
    You certainly have a lot of reasons to be stressed but I hope you keep on track doing the right thing! I know how frustrating it can be but keep at it! I've been just about "perfect" on my dieting the past 3 weeks and I've increased my exercising a lot but I've only lost about 2 1/2 lbs and I"m frustrated! Keep at it! You can do it!
  • immskris
    Options
    I feel your stress, too. I have 3 kids (1 teen, 1 tween and a 6 yr old- all girls) and I'm attending school full time. It's hard to carve out time for exercise and studying. Don't give up! This is a set back but you can do it.
  • NikkiLynn76
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for the encouraging words. To reassure some of you, I am not giving up for the weekend and restarting. I am going to keep being under my calorie goal. I am going to keep eating right, it's the re dedicating myself to exercising that will happen Monday. If I can this weekend, I will. I'm just not going to beat myself up if I can't.

I will keep fighting this battle... :)
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Have you joined this group? I know it can be hard to find the right groups for oneself. I'm in the "need to lose over 100+" group and it's pretty cool being in there, meeting people who understand my particular weight issues that people who aren't in my range don't understand.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/160084-the-over-300-club

As much as I love my people in that group I can't wait to get down to the "need to lose 25-50 lbs" group and graduate! But THAT will take a year to do!

You can do it, don't get discouraged.
  • lajones
    Options
    Take it easy this weekend! I completely understand the stress thing - it's one of my biggest monsters! I'll be thinking of you!
  • bdavis1
    bdavis1 Posts: 13
    Options
    You know losing weight is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but I finally realized today this is the right way to do it (slow and steady and above all HEALTHY). I feel I have to share this story to everyone who is overweight and trying to lose. A lady that I work with was 5'2" and weighed 250lbs. She did a weight loss plan and lost 40lbs, but grew tired of counting calories and points so she ate what every she wanted for about 2 months, gained it all back and 10lbs. At 260 she was very discussed with herself. She went to a surgeon and got the lapband procedure. Sure enoght she lost about 90lbs in 11months and that would have been wonderful if the story would have ended there, but it didn't. She did not look healthy at all and for 3 weeks everytime she ate or drank she threw up. (Come to find out thru the 11 months she threw up alot and did not tell anyone because she was so desperate to be thin but she had a conpulsion with food.) Well the Tuesday before last, she passed out at work and went to the hospital to find that she had 2 abcesses in her stomach the size of grapefruits. She had to have emergency surgery and came very close to death. The surgeon had to take the lapband out and clean the infection. She was in critical care from Tuesday to Monday. She had to be cut from breast bone to pelvic bone. Not only is she severly dehydrated and malnurished and physically scared, her mental state is in the crapper because she doesn't think she can control the eating. I am very worried what will happen to her.
    The reason I am telling you this is because I hope and pray that everyone who reads will be very happy to lose weight slow and steady with a bump in the road along the way. I have learned that no matter how long it takes me to lose the 50lbs that I need to I will do it by healthy eating and exercise.
    Always remember no matter how stressed you get about life in general and where you want to be weight wise do a weight loss program that is healthy and that won't kill you in the process.