Need encouragement...up 4 lbs

Options
I was ready to cry when I weighed in today. I was up 4 lbs since last week. There are endless rationalizations but I'm still depressed over it.

Last week i went on vacation an treated myself. I also went skiing for 18 cumulative hours and did a 4 hour mountain hike...I like adventure vacations :wink: On my active days i was 1000 calories under my goal and on rest days maybe 300 over...I thought it would all balance out.

I've also heard of a lot of people getting gains their third week in after a big loss...I was down 15 :(

I'm also a girl and I've been on this site almost a month and its almost that time...

Plus I didn't drink enough on my vacation for my activity level...

So how do you deal when the scale gets you down? All the logic I know...muscle gain, water weight and bloat isn't helping my heart...

To make matters worse I decided to wallow in s'mores...Although I did limit myself to 2 and stayed within daily calorie goal.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You just have to pick yourself up and think about your accomplishments. The scale is going to let you down a lot but you have to be able to tell yourself that the scale is just a part of it. You ultimate goal is to be healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. The weight will come off. Just continue to hang in there. Pick your head up and just live life doing your best.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over it. Weight fluctuates daily. Just keep on encouraging yourself, allow yourself treats, don't over-do it, and relax.
    You're still the same person you were before you weighed yourself. You've been working hard and that's all that counts in the long-run. Be proud.

In fact, you should reward yourself. Do something you enjoy that doesn't involve food. For me, a hot cup of tea, a good book, and comfy sheets. Or yoga. Or tea + comedy movie. A card game, even.
    When I'm feeling down, it helps to celebrate. Weird paradox, but it's true.
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Aww honey I'm so sorry! I know that sometimes the scale can be a punk, but just think about all the good things you did for yourself while on vacation. You had fun, but you also kept working out. Just think of how good you'll feel when you get back to the gym and you pick right up where you left off! It's just 1 week; don't lose motivation!!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    it happens. i gained 3 pounds one week and two weeks later i was down 6 pounds. the body is weird sometimes. you just have to get back on track and remember tomorrow is another day. just start tomorrow and realize you cant change yesterday.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You've dropped 10 lb, which is twice as much as me. Now is the time to soldier on. Don't you dare give up!

Not to sound like a Drill Sergeant but, welcome to, "Tough it Out City."

Stick with it and you will get past this.

Hang tough!
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That happened to me a couple of weeks ago and by my next weigh-in it all disappeared. Keep doing what your are doing and make sure you drink enough water for your activity level. Oh and this last weigh-in it said I gained 2 back, but then I weighed myself the next day and I was back down the 2 lbs. So, as someone else said don't focus so much on the scale. Don't allow it to be so important. Measuring and taking photos will help give a better more healthier picture of your accomplishments.

No matter what keeping going! You are healthier than you were when you started! :flowerforyou:
  • Tomlette
    Options
    The first time I had to deal with "that time" while using the site, I almost died. I also gained weight. It horrified me. Plus, being the time that it was, I was moody and achy anyway and is just wasn't a good thing, not a good thing at all. So I vowed that I would make this work, I would make the weight vanish, and stayed on course with my calorie intake and light exercise.

Turns out, my only problem was my monthly visit. After a particularly, um, lengthy visit, once my body straightened itself out again I found that not only had all the weight I'd gained been caused by my visitor and was now gone, but I'd lost almost 2 pounds besides.

You're gonna have bad days. You're gonna have rough times. It's all just part of the process. But stay on track, do your best when you can and don't beat yourself up when you can't, and it will pay off. :)
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    You know the great thing is, you know exactly what's wrong, and I know that still doesn't help your heart, but you know what? you're going to have this problem a lot especially if you're in it for the long haul. I've been doing this now for almost 6 months and when it happens to me, I just think "oh it's just because my sodium intake was high", or "it's just TOM" etc. I'm so used to the fluctuations now it doesn't affect my mood so much. There are lots of fluctuations in the first month with your body getting used to the weight loss and the change in diet. If you can, dust yourself off and keep on going, I think you're doing fantastic!!
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    You will find the loss you may be retaining fluid as its this time or pre monthly! Also you were really active it will all level out give it time as your body may be holding extra fluid for muscles! I would be upset. The class I attend lives by the rule that the most important thing to focus on is your food intake |#1, #2 is activity #3 would be weight! measure your inches also you may find that you are down more inches. Don't allow yourself to get down look how active you were and how healthy you will be because of it.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It happens to us all. Scales can be evil little things. You can't totally deprive yourself of the things you enjoy. Not many people will workout during their vacation, and you did. You've got this! Just a minor set back. Keep on pushing forward and you'll see the positive outcome!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It seems like any time I do activities that are not in my usual routine, like skiing or mountain biking, I gain weight. I have a positive attitude and tell myself that it's pumped up muscles. It's usually followed by a good loss week. I recently added an exercise bike to my exercise routine and that'. What happens the first week.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Could be sodium and water retention. Gotta watch the sodium levels in your food. Drink up on your water and see if you don't lose it again really quick!