How do I cook salmon ? :)

Options
Ok I need a cookbook for dummies..lol I bought frozen wild salmon and have no clue how to make it or what to make it with. I have never ate it..I don't think, lol. And would really like a good recipe for it, and ideas to what kinds of side dishes you have with it. Please help me !! lol

Replies

• happies23
    happies23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you have HEB grocery stores by you? Their seafood department is fantastic and they always put suggestions on the fish and how to cook it.

I tried grilling salmon, but I like baked salmon better. Check out allrecipes.com. They got great ideas.

Hope you like it!... and if you have an HEB- get the catfish with the lemon herb seasoning- it's delicious!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I thaw mine out and grill it on my foreman grill.....it doesn't take long at all.
    I like to eat it with a little mushroom couscous, and a green salad..
    You can also have some green beans with olive oil, salt and almonds ( delicious)

O...and I season the salmon with some salmon seasoning (Johnny's) and i rub some olive oil on it to keep it from sticking to the grill.

It takes about 5 minutes on the foreman...because it grills both sides at once.
  • Jclark702
    Options
    If you are looking for as few calories as possible, you can try what I do... I just pan fry with 1-2tbsp of olive oil, about a quarter cup of lemon juice, and some fiesta lime flavored Mrs. Dash. Lemon and fish is always such a great mix, in my opinion. You can try it even without the olive oil, I suppose. I also will usually throw in some mushrooms (which are 0 calories) and asparagus. I find it to be very tasty.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You can bake it or fry it. I prefer baking frozen, but fresh salmon I like to fry. Here's my favorite salmon marinade -

What you need for 2-3 pound fillets:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    4 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons water

1. In a small bowl combine all marinade ingredients.
    2. Place salmon in a glass baking pan. Pour marinade over fish.
    3. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 6 hours (longer is better). Uncover pan.
    4. Place on middle rack of pre-heated 400ºF oven. Bake 15-20 minutes or until fish is done. Do not turn fish. Serve immediately.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I bake mine from frozen since the grill would just squish it and dry it out. I put about 1/2 tbsp lemon juice and some black pepper then toss it in the oven at 400 degrees for like 15 minutes until it flakes when pierced with a fork. Make sure you spray the baking dish first, fish really likes to stick.
  • newnicole
    Options
    I LOVE to cook and when I saw this I knew exactly what recipe to send you.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/salmon-with-lentils-recipe/index.html
    TRY IT, its so good and healthy because you're also getting those veggies
    ps. you don't have to use olive oil.. cooking spray works fine too :)
  • Kris1974
    Options
    I love salmon and if there is anything I know it is how to cook it so it doesn't make it dry.

What I do is mix Plain Greek Yogurt just enough to cover the fish, with dill, salt, lemon juice and pepper. Make a foil bag and wrap it up inside. Cook on BBQ for 8 minutes. or in the oven for 10 minutes take out of the oven and let sit 3 minutes then unwrap and eat.
    Such a yummy Recipe. Good Luck
  • tracyL88
    Options
    find a recipe and broil or grill it for 4 mins on one side and 2 on the other
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar? Really? Leave that out next time.
  • bburson
    bburson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do almost the same-- thaw in microwave not quite 100% (very low power) then pan fry with a teriyaki marinade, skin down. Skin gets crunchy-- and comes off easily for those who dislike it. High heat about 2 minutes, reduce to low with cover, done in less than 10 minutes. Over brown rice... asparagus is a great match. I nuke that too, 1 min at a time on low power until a tad cooked, then broil with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sometimes lemon... salt/pepper. Great meal!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    :wink: :smile:
    I love salmon and if there is anything I know it is how to cook it so it doesn't make it dry.

What I do is mix Plain Greek Yogurt just enough to cover the fish, with dill, salt, lemon juice and pepper. Make a foil bag and wrap it up inside. Cook on BBQ for 8 minutes. or in the oven for 10 minutes take out of the oven and let sit 3 minutes then unwrap and eat.
    Such a yummy Recipe. Good Luck

yumm!
  • ywellc
    ywellc Posts: 8
    Options
    Restaurant trick to thaw food fast:

Place fish under running warm (like ~70F) inside a vessel large enough such that the water covers it completely on all sides. Should defrost pretty quickly.

Give it a quick pan sear if you don't mind eating it a little rare inside, otherwise grill is probably your best bet (I would put some aluminum foil over the grates if you don't have a grill proof pan) and then salt it and squeeze a little lemon on. I'd say around 350F would do you pretty good. If you want it well done, it will flake pretty easily when prodded with a fork when it is finished.
  • shepali
    Options
    I am NOT a cook....but I lived in Seattle for 11 years and got pretty good at salmon. Now a disclaimer.....Atlantic salmon and Pacific or Alaskan salmon are VERY different. Of course, I prefer Pacific :smile: I also find that farm raised Pacific is more similar to wild Pacific, than Atlantic farm raised is to wild Atlantic. And farm raised Pacific is better than wild Atlantic. All just my opinion, of course.

I always bought the filets with the skin still on. But this also works with steaks, and would probably work on a filet without the skin.

Put the salmon on a piece of tin foil, and roll up the sides to hold in juices. If you have the skin on - no need to spray (actually, its better if you don't, because then the skin will stick to the aluminum when you serve). If you have steaks or no skin on a filet, you can/should use non-stick spray. Then, put a few pats of butter and chopped garlic on top of the salmon. Or drizzle with olive oil if you prefer. Don't skimp on the butter or olive oil, as that gives it the flavor; and if you have the skin on, it will soak up most of it so you don't get those extra calories! Really - you need nothing more than that....but you could also add your other favorite spices. Fresh cilantro is one of my favorites, or fresh chives too. Leave the foil open, and put on an outdoor grill (this was my favorite way) or just bake/broil in the oven. DO NOT OVERCOOK. The flakes of the salmon should JUST start to separate and it should still look a bit raw - pull off the heat, and it will finish cooking while you serve it and will be perfect.

And actually....I've done this with other flaky fish, and its always a very big hit. Simple, but very tasty.

Hope you like!!
  • tgch123
    tgch123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine wrapped in a foil packet with lemon, salt and pepper and cooked in the oven... scrumptious!!
  • Dormouse85
    Options
    I've posted a recipe on my blog (Fatdormouse.blogspot.com) for Oriental baked fish. I guess this would work for you. I've never really considered where my salmon comes from or the difference in taste... I'm obviously a bit of a Salmon ignoramus!!!
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    These are thecooling tips from the Tasmanian Salmon producer Tassal. Choose from the options on the right to find out how to pan fry, bbq, roast sear steam etc.
    I love salmon and prefer to keep it really simple and serve with salad

http://www.tassal.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=5