Plateaus...suggestions

Options
Can anyone help with weight loss plateaus!? I'm stuck on the scale and not moving for months it seems and getting frustrated. I'm working out , eating all the right things... but it's not good enough to move the scale...I'm still OVER weight :frown:

Replies

• Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Bump!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Try eating more (I know that sounds weird but it works) Also change your workouts. If you aren't doing strength training... DO IT! Hang in there... you'll get past this!!!

Good luck!
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    I agree with ebkins7 with the strength training but if you don't know what you are doing it's best to get a certified trainer or you may injure yourself if you don't have the correct form.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Eat more one day, less the next. When you're body becomes accustomed to the same foods and exercise routines, it creates a plateau. Eat different amounts each day consuming a variety of different foods. Change up your exercise routines as well :) Good luck to you!
  • krisvtx8777
    Options
    Trying some different workouts these next few weeks. Hoping that will do something because they are rough....my body is hurting!
  • determinedx3
    determinedx3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same spot. Working my butt off, and changing things up this next week. If it doesn't work... some bodys gonna get hurt :smokin: I'm just sayn
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try eating more (I know that sounds weird but it works) Also change your workouts. If you aren't doing strength training... DO IT! Hang in there... you'll get past this!!!

Good luck!

Exactly what she said!! Haveone good cheat day... like literally blow it out of the water.... Then start strength training and the pounds will start moving again. Trust me. I was just there... people told me to do this, I did and lost 3lbs in one week.:)
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yep you gotta keep your body guessing. Have you tried spin class? Talk about torching some calories!

As well I agree you have to make sure you're eating enough calories.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I've been stuck on a plateau too - no weightloss for 6 weeks. So this is what I'm trying. hopefully it works.
  • krisvtx8777
    Options
    LOL... ok I hear ya...I gotta make it hurt! I am doing some fitness boot camp now and it's hard but if its gonna get the scale moving...oh I hope it does...this is painful for no loss! :ohwell:

A cheat day?! I'm all for that! :love:
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Another thing to try is protein water. Go to healthfood store and get a good quality protein powder. I like the Jay Robb brand because they don't have any trans fats or artificial sweeteners and other yuckies. Mix the protein powder with water and sip it slowly. Do this once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Protein is very thermogenic and will speed up your metabolism.

Another thing is to take chromium piccolinate supplements. It should protect your lean muscle mass as you are losing fat. Whenever we lose weight we also lose lean muscle. This is not good in the long term because our metabolism slows down.

Another thing is to take a break from dieting. Slowly increase your food a little at a time making sure you don't start gaining again. Take a break for a couple of months and let your body get used to this weight. Keep drinking the protein water and exercise. After a while your metabolism will speed up and hopefully you can lower your calories and start losing again.

Lastly you can try calorie cycling. Look it up. You would be eating a different amount of calories every day. That way you keep your body guessing and it doesn't adjust ... Also try carb cycling. Eat high carb on some day and low carb on others.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    When I plateaued, I cut back my rate of weight loss. Stalled at 30 lbs lost, reduced from 1.5 pounds per week to 1 pound and started losing within a week. Stalled again at 52 pounds lost, reduced from 1 pound a week to 0.5 per week. Each time gave me about 200-250 more calories to fuel my new metabolism.

Check out this page for a better explanation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • jalovec
    jalovec Posts: 62
    Options
    Be cautious about eating more calories- I tried it for 2 weeks (along with good workouts, both cardio and strength training), and gained 5 pounds. It's 4 weeks later, and I'm still trying to lose the 5 pounds! Maybe just try it for a week. Plateaus are hell! Good luck!