544 calories left and its only 2pm

Options
Hi!
At 1:51pm I only have 544 calories left for the day....that makes me think i am going to go to bed hungry tonight. Am I? Apparently my lunch was quite high in calories (537) and my mid-morning snack of toast with 1tbsp of peanut butter did me in (210 calories there).
Problem is l dont feel full, i feel satisfied, but like I might be hungry again soon. I dont want to start feeling hungry all the time...I wont be able to maintain this if I feel deprived.
Anyone have any suggestions for a good vegetarian dinner to make on a night like tonight. I want to feel full but not go over my calories? I was planning to make rice and beans and a salad, but that might be too high in calories?
Thanks!

Replies

• veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have days like this where i run out of calories before the day ends. I try not to stress out too much if I go over by maybe 100 calories. Never go hungry! Would you rather feel satisfied or hungry? I don't feel that 100 calories over once a week will make much a difference. 100 calories over is still better than 500 calories, right?
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    if you're constantly feeling hungry on 1290 calories a day, maybe you should consider increasing your calorie intake just a bit. being hungry all the time isn't going to help you lose weight!

my favorite go to recipe is a pizza made with cauliflower crust. it's the perfect size for two people, and half of it is only 400 calories :] (just beware, i have to eat it with a fork, it falls apart pretty easily. but it tastes SO GOOD).
    http://healthyinayear.tumblr.com/post/1981993566/i-just-made-a-pizza-crust-out-of-cauliflower
  • Ellebaby21
    Options
    Try the campbell's soup recipes. Some of them are really low in calories and they are really tasty too. (http://www.campbellskitchen.com)

Also, just soup by itself is a low- cal meal or one of those salads in a bag that come with all the ingredients. Or a healthy choice frozen dinner. I usually think about what I'm going to eat for the night and try it out on the calorie counter before hand just to see if I am within my count, if not, I think of something else until it fits within my count.

I hope this helps!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I agree about the soup.

Maybe soup and a salad?

I think sitting down in the morning and planning out your day is a good idea, that way you can make changes / see what you are left with. I generally log my meals so I can see how many calories I have left for snacking.

If you exercise, you could "earn" more calories.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the Gym when I know I'm going to go over my calories because I made some not smart choices during the day. Half an hour of jogging or eleptical will give you some calories to eat.
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Could you fit in half an hour cardio workout or fast paced walk? That will give you more cals to play with. I made tandoori quorn in pitta with cucumber & greek yoghurt dip and side veggies. Really filling and under 400 cals!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you can fit in some type of exercise activity, you'll technically have more calories to eat for later, since you need to eat your exercise calories back anyway.

If you haven't messed around with the calorie counting as far as tracking exercise goes, track a realistically hypothetical cardiovascular activity, like walking or something for whatever duration you would actually do, then look at how many calories it says you have left for the day. You'll notice that you now have more to consume, since your body needs more calories to maintain energy for output.

If you're at home or in your office, you can literally do wall or desk push-ups, chair dips, take a little stroll outside on your lunch break, etc. Anything you do outside of literally just laying in bed and breathing requires energy for your body to produce. So, the remaining calories you have left are practically just an estimate. Don't feel bad if you go over by a little. Again, if you feel bad about it, do something that makes you feel the little bit of extra intake was appropriately worth it.
  • wishy1612
    Options
    :happy: hello,I started my diet last week and found this website helpful.Ive just had my last kcal for the day.from Scotland.Good luck everybody.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    if you're constantly feeling hungry on 1290 calories a day, maybe you should consider increasing your calorie intake just a bit. being hungry all the time isn't going to help you lose weight!

my favorite go to recipe is a pizza made with cauliflower crust. it's the perfect size for two people, and half of it is only 400 calories :] (just beware, i have to eat it with a fork, it falls apart pretty easily. but it tastes SO GOOD).
    http://healthyinayear.tumblr.com/post/1981993566/i-just-made-a-pizza-crust-out-of-cauliflower
    Wow ... I may have to try this ... Pizza is the hardest thing for me to resist.
  • bviqt70
    Options
    Hi Mollybe,

A few years ago I participated in CHIP - Coranary Health Improvement Project. I ate as much as I wanted, any time I wanted, was almost never hungry and lost 10-12 lbs in about 4-6 weeks.

This is a high fiber, low sodium, low sugar, low cholesterol (no animal products) life style. High fiber b'fast of oatmeal or 7 grain cereal sweetened with fruit keept me full through the morning, sometimes as late as 1:30pm. Lunch maybe brown rice, tofu, fresh vegetables etc. I snacked on fresh corn on the cob, beets, carrots and other vegetables when ever I felt hungry. For exercise I wore a pedometer and tried to put in at least 10,000 steps a day, plus Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos.

It worked! Why I didn't stick with it? I was not readyto be a vegan nor vegetarian for that matter (lacked the decipline) . But the folks in my class that made those changes are still reeping the benifits today. I'm trying to get back on board.

I hope this helps....Good Luck!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I make the pizza and it is good. Be careful of the cheese though. You could also try a piece of grilled salmon or favorite fish on bed of greens. The protien will help you feel full and its' pretty easy.
  • Randonneur
    Randonneur Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yea,
    just go over this time if you are still under the 2000 or 2500 that you are allowed for a day with no dieting then at least you wont put weight on, better to count everything and learn to manage better low cal foods. I would go over by 100 to 200 max.

However you could consider some exercise, I just started running, do it first thing. It does give you more calories to play with. Like today I have been able to have a beer and wine, due to doing exercise. If you use a Gym I recommend some lengths of the pool afterwards if your Gym has one.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would drink water and lots of it...it will help you feel full. I like to eat fish. It is only 100 per filet deending on what kind and how you make it but it is easy to cook and tastes so good! Good luck!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    544 calories is a TON for me! There are a million things I can think of to have for dinner. I usually keep each of meals to about 300 calories, which leaves me 300 for snacks. Tonight I am making sloppy joes using boca crumbles (meatless) instead of ground beef. With 2 slices of whole-wheat bread and fat-free cheese, that makes my dinner 264 calories. I also make a pizza using flat out wraps that are 90 calories, plus sauce and fat free cheese total 275 calories. Chicken with a ton of veggies, again, low calorie! you CAN do it! :)
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    some days you're just hungrier than others :o/ try drinking lots of water, or sometimes hot liquids (like tea or veggie soup) helps your belly feel full. if you were under your cals on a past day count them for today if you go over, so you're still good for the week or when i have days like that, i eat a LOT of veggies. stop at the groccery store & pick up a couple bags of veggie steamers & the spray salad dressing that has like 2 calories a spritz & go to town & make sure you drink lots of water in there & you'll be really full & flush out your digestive track too :o) good luck!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Same boat I have 790 calories left and I just had dinner!!! I am stuffed and whenI completed my day it yelled at me and said I only netted 410... Im stuffed!!!! I dont know what to do...
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    bump
  • M3T4L21
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! Lots of good advise. I did do a 1/2 hour cardio workout this morning, so I already had that extra 218 calories worked in.
    Guess I'm just not sure how many calories I should be having per meal. ...now its 7:18 and I'm about to make dinner. I think I will actually be fine tonight but the number scared me when I entered in my lunch.
    Guess I'm still getting used to this.
    Thanks!
  • carolinemacdonald22
    Options
    Maybe you should plan out your meals the night before or the morning before you eat. That way you will make sure you have plenty of calories left throughout the day. That is what I have done since day 1. It works really well (:
  • desertnurse35
    Options
    When I see my calories being low and I still have plenty of day to go, I incorporate some extra exercise. You think each mile you run is gonna give you close to a hundred calories. That way I feel good about exercise and I get to eat more food and not feel like I'm starved.