hCG - Love it or hate it?

Options
I've got my own opinins on this diet, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

SO let me hear it =)

Replies

• loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Loved it :) Just used it to jumpstart my weight loss and had amazing results.
  • Veggie_Eloise
    Veggie_Eloise Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that this is an extremely touchy subject but I personally don't believe in it.
    Kudos to those that do.
    I think it's more starvation than anything else.
    But again, that's just my opinion.
    Don't hate :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Any diet where you shoot yourself up with hormones to make your body think it's pregnant to burn weight is a terrible idea. Period. Whether it works or not (and most people who lose weight with it end up gaining it back once they go off it) is irrelevant. Steroids will make your body ripped, but there still a terrible idea.

I don't see how HCG is any better than steroids.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If it's closely (and medically) supervised, I think it's feasible as a "kick-start" program, but for long-term weight loss I'm not sold on it...
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hate it...lose weight naturally. You'll be more successful at keeping the weight off.
  • prayforsantana
    Options
    My Neurological Chiropractor says STAY AWAY... it screws up your brain chemistry and hormones. Can't say I don't want to try it... but just like everything else... there will be a big thing on why they have to pull it off the shelves. Besides. I could lose a ton of weight eating 500 calories too without a hormone. That is just nuts, and Unnatural. It really trips me out that guys do it. Those that do it... I gotta say I am jealous... Wish I was brave enough to let the weight melt off like that.
  • Court7898
    Court7898 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it for the next three weeks or so. No problems thus far, just tremendous weight loss.

Loveitloveitloveit!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I personally am going to stay away from it, because I don't think that it is a healthy thing to put your body through.

However, when other adults decide to do it, and get their doctor's approval and guidance, I don't think it's my place to judge them or tell them that they're wrong. It does concern me when someone opts to start the diet without consulting their doctor, though.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Im going to chime in here :happy: My thoughts would be save yourself the $$ on the HCG drops and eat 500 calories a day....I will bet that you will get the same results. I am coming from 20+ years of that exact same weight loss mentality. Sure you will drop a ton of weight and fast...However you will gain it all back once you start eating and you will be lucky not to gain that and more.

This time I am going a different route...Trying healthy food (still learning) and excersise. It seems to have worked for so many people I am willing to give that a shot :flowerforyou: With that said I would never bash anyone for the methods they choose to lose the weight. It is your body and your decision. Good Luck to you :smile:
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i did the oral drops for 6 days and it was terrible, i was STARVING the whole time. On the 6th day I threw the drops in the garbage and ate a granola bar, i could not take feeling that hungry all the time anymore. On the plus side i think it did shrink my stomach a lot, because i get full much easier now.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Any diet where you shoot yourself up with hormones to make your body think it's pregnant to burn weight is a terrible idea. Period. Whether it works or not (and most people who lose weight with it end up gaining it back once they go off it) is irrelevant. Steroids will make your body ripped, but there still a terrible idea.

I don't see how HCG is any better than steroids.

Well, most people that do Weight Watchers, count calories or anything else also end up gaining it back......

I have kept off 38 pounds for almost 6 months now and I am at the point where I am allowing my body to start losing weight again and it is coming off.
  • Grokette
    Options
    i did the oral drops for 6 days and it was terrible, i was STARVING the whole time. On the 6th day I threw the drops in the garbage and ate a granola bar, i could not take feeling that hungry all the time anymore. On the plus side i think it did shrink my stomach a lot, because i get full much easier now.

The drops you purchased were probably fakes. There are a lot of those on the market.

That is why I chose the injections prescribed by my doctor.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Im going to chime in here :happy: My thoughts would be save yourself the $$ on the HCG drops and eat 500 calories a day....I will bet that you will get the same results. I am coming from 20+ years of that exact same weight loss mentality. Sure you will drop a ton of weight and fast...However you will gain it all back once you start eating and you will be lucky not to gain that and more.

This time I am going a different route...Trying healthy food (still learning) and excersise. It seems to have worked for so many people I am willing to give that a shot :flowerforyou: With that said I would never bash anyone for the methods they choose to lose the weight. It is your body and your decision. Good Luck to you :smile:

Actually NO, just eating the 500 calories won't work. With using the HCG it makes your body burn the excess fat and keeps you from starving and being hungry due to the extra fat being burned for caloric consumption.

If the actual Protocol is done by the book, you will not gain the weight back as it steps you through specific phases as to add foods back in, in a particular fashion and order.

And for most people, once you are done with the 4 phases of the Protocol you will have lost weight and will want to continue eating CLEAN because that is what your body is used to.

For many of the ladies on this site that has used to HCG and lost the weight, they are now whole and clean food eaters and keeping the weight off.

Nothing unhealthy about that.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Personally, I like the HCG Protocol for more than losing the weight.

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor, adrenal gland fatigue and many female hormone issues and when I got started I hadn't had a monthly cycle in almost a year. And on top of this I am Hypo-thyroid. My endocrine system is a mess.

My doctor prescribed the HCG injections, I went to the natural pharmacy in St Louis and picked up the HCG and the mixing kit, etc...

I got started on Phase 1 and then transitiioned over to Phase 2 (the 500 calorie part). With in 10 days of this plan I got my first cycle in almost a year. I have also started getting monthly cycles ever since. My hormone levels are a lot better than they were and I am on the lowest dose of Armour Thyroid. And the best news is, the pituitary tumor has shrunk a bit on its own.......

The 38 pounds lost is just an added benefit.

So YES, for people that are morbidly obese, have multiple Endocrine issues (aka thyroid, diabetes, hormone imbalances), etc this plan helps line the body out without having to have surgery and stuff.

I don't think it is really for the person that has 30 or less pounds to lose, but that is my own opinion.

It has its place in this world and on this site and is helping people - so please respect those that are on it.

Until you walk a mile in my shoes or anyone elses - Please DON'T JUDGE.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'd like to know if people actually maintain their astounding weight loss. I don't actually think it's the HCG that causes it. These people are eating 500 calories a day while doing the injections. It would be good to hear from those about it a year after they lost all that weight.
    I really don't think I could do the 500 cal per day thing. I would pass out from low blood sugar.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I'd like to know if people actually maintain their astounding weight loss. I don't actually think it's the HCG that causes it. These people are eating 500 calories a day while doing the injections. It would be good to hear from those about it a year after they lost all that weight.
    I really don't think I could do the 500 cal per day thing. I would pass out from low blood sugar.

I am almost at the 6 month mark and I have maintained the weight loss since last October.

I can rest assure you without the HCG, NO one would be able to stick to this plan with the 500 calories.

I am back on my Primal plan and starting to lose some weight this way also, so I should be way smaller by October and be almost at my goal.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,610 Member
    Options
    What I am most curious about is how much of the weight lost is fat? That's my concern with any significant rapid weight loss. I've read that the HCG is supposed to help burn predominantly fat. I've also read that the results from a VLCD are no different with or without HCG. Is anyone here aware of any unbiased reviews/studies that shed some light on this?
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    How does it help you lose weight?
    The only times I had HCG in my system was when I was pregnant and I gained a TON of weight! LOL! :laugh:

More power to y'all, but it doesn't sound like it's for me. And who do they get this HCG hormone from, is it synthetic? Even more reason to stay away.
  • Grokette
    Options
    How does it help you lose weight?
    The only times I had HCG in my system was when I was pregnant and I gained a TON of weight! LOL! :laugh:

More power to y'all, but it doesn't sound like it's for me. And who do they get this HCG hormone from, is it synthetic? Even more reason to stay away.

The food list listed in the Protocol Manuscript along with the HCG causes your body to burn fat, therefore you will lose weight.

It is a known fact that many pregnant women that EAT nautral and whole foods often lose weight when they are first pregnant, than to gain.

The plan offers only meat, veggies and fruit and I bet you were not only eating those items when you were pregnant.

Also, it is not synthetic if you are taking the injections. It is secreted from pregnant women's urine. So, it is natural.
  • Grokette
    Options
    What I am most curious about is how much of the weight lost is fat? That's my concern with any significant rapid weight loss. I've read that the HCG is supposed to help burn predominantly fat. I've also read that the results from a VLCD are no different with or without HCG. Is anyone here aware of any unbiased reviews/studies that shed some light on this?

The difference in doing a VLCD with or without HCG is if you attempt a VLCD without the HCG you will lose mucle and little fat. Using the HCG, you will lose predominantly FAT!..