Scales not moving :-(

Options
Well, after a great start and losing some significant weight in the first couple of weeks, I now seem to have reached a plateau where the scales refuse to budge. I am still eating well within my calorie limit and exercising regularly but seeing no results which is very discouraging :sad:

I've read that over time your body adjusts to the new calorie intake, your metabolism slows and therefore stops burning fat. Has anyone else experienced this and if so was it temporary?

Thanks

Craig

3822331.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi Craig,

Providing you are using the programme correctly, i.e. eating back your exercise calories then your metabolism shouldnt slow down.

There are a couple of reasons why you might not see the weight loss;

1). You are retaining too much water - do you watch your sodium intake - if you share your diary and also use the settings to show sodium levels you might see that you have too much sodium - which you can then track and monitor. Also be careful some people dont enter all the values on items so you might think you have low sodium intake but it isnt - this happens with a lot of processed food.

2). If you are exercising then you could be converting fat to muscle - make sure you measure yourself at neck, waist, hips - as muscle is more dense you will be smaller at the same weight.

Steve
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi Craig,

Providing you are using the programme correctly, i.e. eating back your exercise calories then your metabolism shouldnt slow down.

There are a couple of reasons why you might not see the weight loss;

1). You are retaining too much water - do you watch your sodium intake - if you share your diary and also use the settings to show sodium levels you might see that you have too much sodium - which you can then track and monitor. Also be careful some people dont enter all the values on items so you might think you have low sodium intake but it isnt - this happens with a lot of processed food.

2). If you are exercising then you could be converting fat to muscle - make sure you measure yourself at neck, waist, hips - as muscle is more dense you will be smaller at the same weight.

Steve

I agree! I've had weeks where the scale shows no progress, but the way my clothes fit does.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I have been going through the same thing. These last couple of weeks, yes 2 weeks, have been at a complete standstill. I finally dropped one pound on Friday barely! Just keep at it like I'm doing. I know it can be very discouraging but we will start dropping again. I think once you lose a certain amount of weight, your body has to take some time to adjust to that loss and then it should start moving again, hopefully! So hang in there and I will too, it will happen for us. Good luck!
    Denise
  • JillSymes
    Options
    Hi
    What do you mean by 'eating back your exercise calories'. Do i eat more calories after i have exercised because somethimes i'm left with almost a 1000 calorie surplus and i too am not seeing that much of a weight loss? Should i up my intake on big exercise days?
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    always this eat back your exercise cals, if you have a 2000 budget and you burn off 2000 at the gym, you eat wot amount of cals? So confusing isnt it Jill

im so confused about this 'eat back your cals' its all over the forums

stu
  • zachorymaji
    Options
    Ok.......just because the scales not moving doesn't mean a thing friends, remember muscle weighs more than fat. Measure once a month and record it......neck (for men), arms, chest/back (at nipple line), waist (smallest area), hips/butt (largest area), upper legs (largest area) and I beat you'll be pleasantly surprised! ;o) It may be helpful for you to get your "fat" measured at your gym too.

Remember also that you have to watch your sodium and caffeine intake and drink plenty of water especially when you're working out.

Keep pushing friends............you're all doing great!

Quiters NEVER win (or lose in this case, lol)
  • spectrum72
    Options
    This is the first I've heard about 'eating back exercise calories' but then I am still fairly new here. I thought those calories were a bonus and the more I saved the better.

Thanks for all of your encouraging comments and advice, I'll certainly stick with it.

Craig

3822331.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cookiegeorge
    Options
    So am I understanding that if I am "allowed" 1440 calories, burn 250 riding my stationary bike, that puts my "allotment" up to 1690. I always try to stay under the original 1440. Am I doing this wrong? My scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks. Getting discouraged! :(
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to read all the sticky posts (and posts linked in them) at the top of the "General" section. One of the best introductions is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits .

The bottom line is that you'll need to find your sweet spot. Select a reasonable deficit and don't go too low in total calories (some like to take their BMR as a guideline), eat more on exercise days (within reason, and be careful not to overestimate the exercise calories -- when I see an untrained newbie claim they burned 1500-2000 calories in the gym, I think "probably not").
  • spunky_spit_fire
    spunky_spit_fire Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My Scale didn't budge either this week....:sad: but I know I am eathing healthy and exercising and drinking more water than it says too :drinker: and in my heart I know I am doing what is right ( May Need To Fine Tunes Some Things ):laugh: But as long as we are eating healthy that is the MAIN THING !!!:bigsmile: So My Thoughts are sooner or later the pounds have to start coming off :tongue:
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is day 31 for me. Nada, none, zip loss!! I have a low sodium diet and drink plenty of water.
  • nilyam75
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/losinginches.htm?nl=1
    Please see this link! It will make u feel a lot better! Believe me, I got on the scale this morning and was really sad cause it hadn't moved a bit but when I measured my waist I was down a 1/2 inch!