a little unsure on the water table

Options
Hi, i'm new here and just a little unsure about the water consumption... I know it has probably been reported somewhere before but just so I get it... if you have to drink 8 cups of water a day does this include any cups of coffee/wine etc... or is this in addition to everything else you drink? I know some 'diets' say its total liquid consumed? Thanks for you advice

Replies

• NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I usually only count whatever water I drink. Since once you add something to water its not really just water anymore. Like tea for instance. If you add tea to water then its becomes a diaretic... so I just stick with regular water anyways... LOL. Not sure if that helps you out or not.
  • ElianeSweety
    Options
    As I know - I am not a expert! I just read a lot! :-) - It is total liquid consumed. BUT Some drinks are dehidrating (coffee, alcohol,...) and soft drinks is really bad for you, so these kind of drink doesn't include to you "water" intake.

If you have a cup of herbal tea (e.g. camomile tea) without sugar, you can count in your water intake, but it is NOT 100% the same. This kind of tea is the second drink better for you. The first one is water!

Some diets say its total liquid consumed! The doctors says it is water.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Water is great for you and it's really hard to get too much of it unless you are super-active (think running marathon). That said, I try to get my 8 glasses as plain water. If you are drinking 8 glasses of non-plain water liquids (wine, coffee, tea, juice, soda, etc) then you probably need the plain water to help flush out the extra flavorings, colors and byproducts which may or may not dehydrate depending on what you are drinking. My friend gave me a good rule of thumb about getting enough water-- if your pee is strongly pungent and very yellow (or other colors depending on what you are eating), then you aren't getting enough water. You want your pee to be almost clear.
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I struggle to drink plain water but I count sugar free cordial / squash that I add to the water, as I can easily do 8 glasses of that, but don't count any other drinks.
  • GiGGiTy3434
    GiGGiTy3434 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure clear liquids count as your 8 cups of water per day. I drink about 5 regular water and 3 flavored water. Someone told me diet 7up and diet sprite(clear diet pop) are acceptable too but I'm not positive.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Water is great for you and it's really hard to get too much of it unless you are super-active (think running marathon). That said, I try to get my 8 glasses as plain water. If you are drinking 8 glasses of non-plain water liquids (wine, coffee, tea, juice, soda, etc) then you probably need the plain water to help flush out the extra flavorings, colors and byproducts which may or may not dehydrate depending on what you are drinking. My friend gave me a good rule of thumb about getting enough water-- if your pee is strongly pungent and very yellow (or other colors depending on what you are eating), then you aren't getting enough water. You want your pee to be almost clear.

Unless of course you just took a vitamin! LOL... Mine isn't clear after I take it...