1 wk in, just getting the courage to post

Options
Hello All (or anyone out there reading what is sure to become my 'brain dump' of a post) :)

I joined a week ago today and it's taken that long for me to actually post something. Why? Well because I figure if I never post, no one will know I exist, and if that happens then I won't have to face my shortcomings.

I recently started seeing a nutritionist, I realized that at 23 and over 400 lbs (did I just say that on the internet?! oh God...) it's time for me to change something about my life. My nutritionist, who ironically is named Kristin also (even if she is abt 250 lbs less than me, we're kindred spirits...or so that's what I like to tell myself) recommended this as an app on my phone. I've checked out a few profiles and people are amazing. Keeping a food diary so far has been an experience, I'm still doing it a week later, that's huge for me.

So can I be honest? I guess so since again, this is a horrible brain dump that probably no one will read anyway. I'm terrified of this process. I've battled weight my entire life (as I'm sure most people have). I've been smaller before, thanks to some traumatic experiences but in the past year and a half it's gotten way out of hand...but I really do want to be successful. I just have to figure out how to get out of my own way.

Does anyone else have that problem? Like if I'm home on a snow day (which I've had for the past 2 days) how do I stop myself from picking up a phone for take-out?? Ugh, that question sounds so stupid! Duh...don't pick up the phone. But I did...and I'm disgusted about it. Any advice? Anyone out there?

Hoping for a little help...

Kristen

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristin
    You came to the right place. Welcome aboard. We all like to share brain dumps. :smile: It helps us to grow, learn and vent. You will find a lot of useful info here. We all have the same goal, we all have our good and BAD days.

you can friend me if you like.
    I wish you the best of luck.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I don't really know what advice I can give but wanted to let you know we are here and we do read the posts.
    You can post what you like when you like if it helps.
    No one is judging you.
    You've done brilliantly to open up like that and I hope you can contuinue to be brave.

My problem is picking at food in the flat.
    If I'm working ot watching TV or reading I find my mind wanders to food.
    I've stopped buying anything like chocolate, crisps, biscuits and sweets so when I get to the cupboard or fridge all I'm faced with is carrots or low cal snacks.

Fix your mind on your goal and remind yourself of it when you feel the need to pick up that phone.

Take small steps and one day at a time.

You can do this.

Best wishes
    Amanda
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP.

You are not alone in the picking and take aways. I feel like that. I struggle every night when kids are in bed and I'm bored, just watching TV. I use to pick and eat late at night. And I've been here for few months... still struggling, but have noticed that my willpower is slightly stronger. You will get there too.

Good luck on your journey, we are all here for you.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Your honesty is fantastic! And don't be disgusted at yourself. Cultivating self-discipline is a process. It took me many years -- all of them full of "well, I'll start tomorrow . . ."

You're on the right path and that's what's important right now.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristin! Welcome to the forum. People will read this, and will be supportive and nonjudgemental. That is what is so awesome about this site! My friends on here are more supportive and encouraging than my friends IRL. As to staying on track-get on here and ask for help and encouragement! That's a big part of what this is for. It's not uncommen to see a post titled "Help!" And if you do slip up, commit to a fresh start from that moment on. Don't let it blow your day (or week :wink: ). I had a crap day this week. I still recorded all of my calories. That encouraged my to workout a bit more. So my crap day was over calories, but light years from what a binge day used to be! You can do it. Getting on here and reaching out to others is a huge step! You can friend me if you like. I recommend looking at posts and seeing who says things you like, agree with, or find encouraging. You can also search for people with similar goals. You can do it!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • bethann1976
    Options
    Welcome! Thank you for opening up and sharing. You'll find so many supportive people here, and SO MANY GREAT IDEAS!!!! If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't know about things like Vitatops or Hungry Girl, and I wouldn't have half as many healthful recipes. This place is awesome! You can do it, one day at a time!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Hello Kristen! Welcome! You'll do great and be fine. When I feel like doing something that doesn't quite fit in with my new eating habits here are a couple of things I do.

1. Find something to do with your hands, or get away from the TV. I read, I crochet (it makes me sound old, I know, but I'm only 26 I swear), I make jewelry, crossword puzzles, color or play with my daughter. Or get an exercise DVD and do that.

2. Go online and read some success stories, it's super motivating.

3. COOK! It takes up time to cook a healthy meal, so you're fighting away that boredom hunger while making yourself something healthy. Go online, or get a healthy cookbook and start trying some new recipes. Healthy swaps for your favorite take-outs are a good start.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I just joined too, I've already lost 60lbs, but needed some extra motivation to keep going and this website is definitely helping. Good luck to you!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen and Welcome!

I too have been on-again, off againg dieter, workouter, etc., And I too have been scared of getting to my goal, or even just getting past the typical amount of time I stick with a new "regime". But being here, with people who know what you are going through and why its on your mind is such a relief.

The social aspect of this site will not only keep you motivated, sometimes it will keep you downright distracted :laugh:

My biggest suggestion is: planning. A lot of people drop weight by getting super healthy, or really watching carbs or something- but I personally am pretty laid back and quite honestly, I love pizza. And chips. And cookies. So when I want them, I have them, but I try to plan for that as much as I can. On Thursdays my bf ALWAYS wants Chipotle- so I save 500 cals and we go for a walk after dinner. Home for a snow day? Sure get some take out- but figure out how many cals are in what you are ordering (or find something you want for reasonable amount of cals) and dance around your living room until the delivery guy gets there! Have a big even with friends/family and even more delicious food? Pick 1 or 2 items to make your "treats" and stick as healthy as you can otherwise (veggies, lean meats, etc) and get in as much workout or moving as you can- an hour walk in the morning, and maybe offer to go for a group walk after the meal! Balance is key!

And if you fall, if you don't quite make it, if you go over your cals for the day, or eat something you'd swear you'd never eat again. Just start over the next day, the next minute!!!

You can do this!

Best of luck.
    ~Meg
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You are at the right place, because I've found tons and tons of encouragement on here! So glad you decided you didn't want to be invisible anymore!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    The first advice I have for you is try to give up restaurant food for about 3 weeks. Even healthy choices at a restaurant have way too much sodium in them. After that, have one cheat meal per week. It's what you do most of the time that counts. Try to balance your meals with two carbs, one protein, one dairy, and one fruit or veggie. Also, make sure to drink every bit of the recommended doses of water.

The second bit of advice is to always make sure you're hungry before you eat. This sounds simple but I have to actually figure out if I'm actually hungry or if I'm simply having a craving. Cravings come and go. You will learn how to substitute your unhealthy cravings for a healthy one. For instance, if I want a burger and fries, I will substitute lean roast beef and cheese on a sandwich thin.

Lastly, do some form of exercise 3 times a week to begin with. It doesn't have to be a big deal. It can be a 20-30 minute walk or a low impact exercise video. It makes you feel energized and it helps with stress. Before my lifestyle change, I would eat chocolate when stressed. Now I just do a workout.

This is going to take a long time. It's not easy and you're going to feel like giving up every now and then. Just stay focused on your weight loss goal and remember the reasons you want to change your life.

You can do this!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristin!

Getting honest is the first step!!! We are all here for basically the same reasons...figuring out what keeps up from achieving our health goals. You are so worth it!!! I've learned that it's important when you fall off the bike to get back on it and keep going rather than let the shame drown you. Taking it one day at a time also helps me - when I look at the big picture I get overwhelmed, but I can manage today and set goals for today and focus just on today.

You are so awesome!!!

Tammy
  • LisaSaysHi
    LisaSaysHi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kristen! I recently joined, too, and have found this site to be so incredibly helpful. You'll find that everyone here is very supportive and quick to answer questions or offer advice. To get the most out of the site, log in religiously to track your food and exercise. Do your best to meet your calorie goals, and make decisions based on what you see. It doesn't do any good to track everything unless you use the information to make smart choices. You'll be a heck of a lot more motivated to exercise when you see what those extra calories can buy you! :-)

I would say, "best of luck", but you don't need luck. Just do it!

Kind regards,

Lisa
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Kristen,

Your honesty is refreshing! I just signed up for this site on Thursday, during one of the two snow days this week! So far I have been faithtul at keeping my food journal and feel like I should be able to keep it up! I hope that you can too! Exercise is important, but the food journal is really so convicting! It doesn't lie, it just sits there in front of you and says, "you ate WHAT!?" I am ready to make changes in my life, I want to be healthy for my family. I never did struggle with weight before, but when I was pregnant with my son I gained 50 pounds, lost all of it after he was born then gained most of it back over the last few years on convenience foods! Argh! Wouldn't a better definition of convenience food be food that is nourishing and easy to get a hold of?? I would love it if you'd add me as a friend! We can walk this walk together! I just started reading this book that is AMAZING! It is called "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst. It's actually on sale right now on www.christianbook.com

Have a great day!

Mary Beth
  • CrimsonJade13
    Options
    Well Kristen, don't feel bad. I've been here for about a month, and this will be my first post.

Everyone is giving you great advice about how to avoid the temptations; but I have one piece of advice for after you given into them. Don't dwell on it. Don't write off the whole week because of it. Accept that you had a weak moment, and move on. Go back to making good decisions as soon as the bad one was made. Like everything with this sort of lifestyle change it will get easier with time.

Oh, and don't think of it as a diet. Diets end. This is a lifestyle change.

Really happy you've decided to make that change!

Carrie
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen!

I have found that eating 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day can be surprisingly even shockingly filling. It's a big adjustment to start eating healthy. I try to stay away from Food Network because I notice it makes me crave. A lot of people say to allow yourself to have what you want in moderate portions, but for me that's a trigger. Once I get started, I cannot stop. I'm commiting myself to eating ONLY healthy food until I get to my goal weight at which point I'm hoping I will have learned to have a hatred for the food that got me heavy.

I think it also helps to have your family on board with you. I've had to have some MAJOR arguments with my husband to convince him to support me. I cannot do it without his support. I realize I'm not strong enough yet to have him walzting around the house eating fast food in front of me.

Wish you the best of luck on your journey! =)
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!! We all have the same struggles with temptation. I have found that I use posts like yours as a tool when I am having a hard time. So instead of picking up the phone for take out come here and read a few posts or blog just as you just did before you decide to do that. On the other hand plan ahead for those days and have something similar to what you are craving for example when you crave icecream have smartones dessert handy.I really hope you stick with this. I have gone off track for a few days but I did return and seen that it wasn't as bad as I thought. Please continue to post you are very honest and a reality to what we all are here for.Feel free to add me as a friend if you like..
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I wish I had been as brave as you when I was your age. I'm not that much older, but I think to myself how much better my quality of life could have been from then until now. I was 23 and 328 lbs when my middle niece was born I think back to how hard everything was for me. Add to that my nicotine habit. I was a mess! But I thank God for bringing me out. We are here to support and encourage you every step of the way. And all we need is the same in return. This is a challenge that unites us, being healthier. I'm a work in progress and I never have all the answers but feel free to add me or email me. I'm a good listener. And I'll help to push, pull, race you to the finish line. The Bible says with God all things are possible. I'm believing in faith for you, me & all of my mfp friends. Best of luck to you.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hello Kristen! Welcome! You'll do great and be fine. When I feel like doing something that doesn't quite fit in with my new eating habits here are a couple of things I do.

1. Find something to do with your hands, or get away from the TV. I read, I crochet (it makes me sound old, I know, but I'm only 26 I swear), I make jewelry, crossword puzzles, color or play with my daughter. Or get an exercise DVD and do that.

2. Go online and read some success stories, it's super motivating.

3. COOK! It takes up time to cook a healthy meal, so you're fighting away that boredom hunger while making yourself something healthy. Go online, or get a healthy cookbook and start trying some new recipes. Healthy swaps for your favorite take-outs are a good start.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I just joined too, I've already lost 60lbs, but needed some extra motivation to keep going and this website is definitely helping. Good luck to you!

This is outstanding advice. I used to weigh 444 (3 years ago) and now I am at 185.6. I'm 10 lbs away from my goal. IT CAN BE DONE - its really a matter of choosing what you want and what your are willing to give up. You have to give up bad eating habits and start making healthy food for life choices (doesn't mean you'll never have another cookie, you just have to plan for them and have 1 or 2, not the whole bag). You have to give up time spent hanging in front of the TV and exercise - either at home or at the gym (I found the gym more motivating, and didn't care if others stared at the fat chick sweating for 5 minutes on the treadmill because thats all I could do to start). You're going to make mistakes, have the occassional bad day but as long as you skip the guilt and beating yourself up - get right back onto your healthy lifestyle, you will succeed.
    In addition to the above I would add:

EXERCISE - will help you lose weight and combat hunger.

Keep in mind: if you don't buy it, you can't eat it. This helps me so much in stores where its so easy to grab a candy bar at checkout or when I think I'm hungry and tempted to grab a bite at McDonalds

Drink lots of water - use Crystal Lite if it helps get it down. I know a lot of people here say its not as good for you as plain water but its better than not drinking water at all. Its helped me lose and I'm just now starting to wean myself off of the CL and drink plain.

HONESTY & DOCUMENTATION - continue to log what you eat and always be honest with yourself.

Good luck in the future, you can add me as a friend if you like.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

The most important thing is too keep going! Even if you fall off the wagon. Log it all in, stare it in the face, forgive yourself and move on! It happens to us all, but only the successful ones get back up and keep going!

There are people here for you 24/7 and we are always willing to listen and support you.

When I am really tempted by bad food or feeling too lazy to exercise I go into the before and after posts. BEST MOTIVATION EVER! Many people just like you have been wildly successful and there is NO reason you can't be one of them!

Best of luck!
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    congrats on taking the first step. Being honest with yourself.

This place is great. If offers more support than I've ever witnessed before.

the advice i can give is this:

Track everything you eat.
    Go to the store and buy fresh vegetables, whole grains, fruits, and low fat snacks
    Eat your required calories per day
    Eat back your exercise calories
    UNDERSTAND that everytime you eat out, regardless of what it is, is most likely bad for you.
    Know that you can do this
    ask for help
    MAKE YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE
    Don't cheat or lie to yourself
    KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO THIS
    and DO IT.