Food Addiction

Options
I know this will probably sound ridiculous to a lot of you, but I'm going to post it anyway. I was going to write it on my personal page, but I thought I'd like more responses than just my MFP friends, so here it goes.

I'm pretty sure, at least at the current moment, that I am addicted to food. At night before I get home from work, or when I'm driving home from being out with my BF, I think about what kind of food I can get. Whether it's McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts, I have been buying food, wasting my money, and making myself more and more disgusting. I don't know how to stop! It's only been within the past week. It's not even at night either, it was yesterday during the day!

Do any of you have this problem? It's just like, I have to have it! When I obviously don't need it at all.

Ugh I just want to be normal and eat healthy and exercise!

HELP.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about---I used to be there!
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think most, if not all, of us who are trying to lose weight have struggled with a food addiction of some sort, and many of us are still struggling. It's one of the few addictive substances that is not only socially acceptable, but is a necessity for life!

Dealing with addiction sucks, it's hard, and when you're ready to stop giving in to your desires it can be one of the most difficult things you'll ever do. The good news is, you can do it. No question. You are capable.

If you want to be a person who chooses to eat better, then be that person! The only thing stopping you from being who you want to be is yourself! It may seem impossible, you're going to get frustrated, and you'll have setbacks. It's all part of the journey.

To use one of my favorite old addiction platitudes "Fake it until you make it!" If you act like you're the type of person you want to be, soon enough you'll find yourself being that person without having to think about it nearly as much.
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    I was the same in the summer
    it's because I didn't eat enough. and cut out all my fave foods.
    I found that if you incoporate your faves and and eat enough healthy food, you'll be fine.
  • amycrims
    Options
    I have felt the same exact way! I watch that show Intervention a lot, about people struggling with different addictions and I have often felt that the way I think about food is the same way a crack head feels about crack! Even while I'd be eating, I'd just be thinking about what I was going to eat next and what time I would try and hold out until. I had no self-control and no self-discipline. I use the past tense because I'm starting to feel (or desperately wanting to believe) that I'm in "recovery". Using MFP and trying to be really strict with it- logging every single thing I eat, has definitely helped a LOT! Though I do wish there was a food rehab!!
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    There's nothing ridiculous about your statement at all. Food companies have chemists to manipulate the salts, sugars, and fats to keep you wanting more. They know exactly what they're doing and they don't care about your health, only their bottom line. Read as much as you can and try to understand what happens to your brain on a chemical level when you gorge yourself with carbs and fats. It is activating the same pleasure chemicals that are released when you do cocaine and heroin! That's why you want it so bad. I know for myself I can't allow myself any sweets or I lose my mind. One or two oreos? Yeah right. In an matter of minutes the whole carton has disappeared down my pie hole. In order to stay on track, I have to imagine those things as being poison. Try to find another way to get those feel good chemicals going, through exercise or pursuing another passion. Get inside your own head and try to figure out what empty hole in your soul you're trying to fill with food. There's no easy way. But truly viewing it as an addiction and treating it as such in your mind is the first step. If you can make an effort to eat clean for a week, you'l notice the cravings begin to subside. MFP is a great place to find friends and succeed.
  • KBriggs09
    Options
    OMG! Get out of my head!!

I ABSOLUTELY understand what you mean!! I live off of this main road that I swear is the universe's cruel joke on me. I feel like it's a 2-mile stretch of every fast food known to man and no sooner do I turn onto the road and I hear that voice "go ahead, grab some wendy's you want it" when I know I am not hungry!

For me, the change came with taking a different route. Instead of driving down that long stretch of temptation, I make a conscientious decision to take side streets and avoid the fast food demons. =)

Another thing I did was track my monthly finances, I made a habit of checking my bank account online and adding up how much money I spend on food in a month. It was DISGUSTING but also eye-opening! When you see how much money you spend on food and then think about what you could be spending it on (clothes, jewelery, ANYTHING else!) it definitely takes a toll.

I love this post because it is so so true! I'm going to friend you and hopefully we can fight this thing together! =) If it's one thing I've seen here, you are never in it alone.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think most, if not all, of us who are trying to lose weight have struggled with a food addiction of some sort, and many of us are still struggling. It's one of the few addictive substances that is not only socially acceptable, but is a necessity for life!

Dealing with addiction sucks, it's hard, and when you're ready to stop giving in to your desires it can be one of the most difficult things you'll ever do. The good news is, you can do it. No question. You are capable.

If you want to be a person who chooses to eat better, then be that person! The only thing stopping you from being who you want to be is yourself! It may seem impossible, you're going to get frustrated, and you'll have setbacks. It's all part of the journey.

To use one of my favorite old addiction platitudes "Fake it until you make it!" If you act like you're the type of person you want to be, soon enough you'll find yourself being that person without having to think about it nearly as much.

Love your platitude! Just love it!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The first week I started using MFP I thought I was crazy! It made me realize how much I used to food for things. When I had a bad day (I watch 12 kids all day there are times you are ready to pull your hair out) I would think I needed food. At night I would eat dinner and my mind thought about different food till I went to bed. I kept thinking about ice cream and fast food. When you walk out of the gym McDonald's is the first thing you see. Never a good thing! I've spent the past 2 weeks working hard with when I need food and if I'm just wanting it to fix a problem. I couldn't believe how many calories I was taking in when I didn't need to. Now it's saturday morning and the first thing I thought about was a doughnut. Instead I had to grab the laptop and check in here. I've read that over time people quit wanting junk food......I'm hoping I'm one of those people otherwise this will be a long journey! Thanks for sharing I thought I was crazy for feeling this way.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same exact way! I watch that show Intervention a lot, about people struggling with different addictions and I have often felt that the way I think about food is the same way a crack head feels about crack! Even while I'd be eating, I'd just be thinking about what I was going to eat next and what time I would try and hold out until. I had no self-control and no self-discipline. I use the past tense because I'm starting to feel (or desperately wanting to believe) that I'm in "recovery". Using MFP and trying to be really strict with it- logging every single thing I eat, has definitely helped a LOT! Though I do wish there was a food rehab!!

I thought the same thing while watching the show!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I usually have insane cravings right before TOM visits. I crave tons and tons of carbs, so that could be a possibility. However, food addiction is real. I subbed for the health teacher one day during my prep hour. She had her students watching the study done on McDonald's, and it talked about how the more unhealthy he became, the more he craved the unhealthy food. He talked about how he was depressed if he wasn't eating, and the only happiness he found was when he was eating. If I remember correctly, he gained almost 40 lbs in the 40 days of the study, and it took him almost 20 weeks to lose it. I don't think that was just about eating McDonald's food, but just the frame of mind in general. The more you eat and are miserable, the more your emotions think they need food to take them from that misery. But I truly believe the opposite is true. The more you eat healthily and exercise, the more your emotions crave that to take you from the misery. At least, I'm going to tell myself that until it's true!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most of us were at that same point in our lives. Before I used to say that the food I used to say my name and I would give in. Here I am on Day 29 and now I think about how many calories are in a fav dish I used to eat and how long I have to workout to burn them calories. I think about how guilty I will feel about eating something I shouldn't. I think about how many other "diets" I failed because I gave in to temptation. I start to think of what my husband or my family would say about me giving up on something I started. I thought about how guilty and pissed off I would feel stepping on the scale after eating what I wanted.

If you want this weight loss really bad, you will do it. Stand strong!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Seek out Wonderwmn. She has an amazing book recommendation about food addiction. I totally get where you are coming from, and there are a lot of us out there.

If the problem is bad enough for you to seek out help, don't be afraid to. Food addiction is an eating disorder. You can find a therapist or a group that can help you through the rough times. We all need a little extra help now and then. Good luck on your journey.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I completely understand. I will always love food that much. The only solution is finding healthier options that you love just as much as the junk. Eating it slower and savoring every bite is good also. I really have found that I enjoy food more when I'm dieting because I find more creative ways to prepare food, and I'm not mindless grazing. I try to remember its the experience of eating and not the amount of food eaten. Even though we know all this we all fall off the wagon. Be kind to yourself and forgive mistakes.
  • aigéan
    aigéan Posts: 69
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all your support and comments! Going to read through them now! You guys are amazing! :)
  • aigéan
    Options

It's so annoying! Haha! And you're right, I'm the only one to blame for not exercising enough and eating like a pig. Which kills me even more because I know I have the will power to fight through this. Just don't know where it is.

"Fake it until you make it." Love it!
  • aigéan
    Options

Meee toooo! You know, sometimes when I'm buying gross food, I think to myself "this is the last time!" just like a drug addict! At least I know I have a problem, so I guess that's good. I'm glad that you're doing better and hope that I can follow in your footsteps and get over this eating problem!
  • aigéan
    Options
    I usually have insane cravings right before TOM visits. I crave tons and tons of carbs, so that could be a possibility. However, food addiction is real. I subbed for the health teacher one day during my prep hour. She had her students watching the study done on McDonald's, and it talked about how the more unhealthy he became, the more he craved the unhealthy food. He talked about how he was depressed if he wasn't eating, and the only happiness he found was when he was eating. If I remember correctly, he gained almost 40 lbs in the 40 days of the study, and it took him almost 20 weeks to lose it. I don't think that was just about eating McDonald's food, but just the frame of mind in general. The more you eat and are miserable, the more your emotions think they need food to take them from that misery. But I truly believe the opposite is true. The more you eat healthily and exercise, the more your emotions crave that to take you from the misery. At least, I'm going to tell myself that until it's true!

Who is TOM? lol. Aunt Flo? Lol sorry I'm just not sure what TOM is! Anyways! I feel that way, the more I eat, the more I hate myself. I do like exercising but I only do it like once a week and I cannot get into it more! I have no idea why, but I need to keep trying! I need to buy healthier foods too. I'd love to get in that mind frame of eating healthy and exercising and let that take over instead of bad food!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Overeaters Anonymous is a twelve step programme of recovery, based on the same 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. It is open to anyone who wants to stop eating compulsively, whether anorexic, bulimic, overeater - basically for Food Addicts. In the USA there are virtually groups in every town and city. Here is the UK they are spaced out a bit more.

Hope this helps.
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    Inalways think about food All day long. I'm totally an addict. Now I'm just learning how to control the urges. It got so bad thT my two yr old would point to mcdonalds and say French fry everytime we drove by one. That was def a wake up call I don't want my children to think we should eat that all the time.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Who is TOM? lol. Aunt Flo? Lol sorry I'm just not sure what TOM is! Anyways! I feel that way, the more I eat, the more I hate myself. I do like exercising but I only do it like once a week and I cannot get into it more! I have no idea why, but I need to keep trying! I need to buy healthier foods too. I'd love to get in that mind frame of eating healthy and exercising and let that take over instead of bad food!

Yep! Time Of the Month!