zumba

Options
Does anyone know how many calories you burn in a 1 hr. class of zumba? There is no option for zumba in the exercise database.

Replies

• Bambie
    Bambie Posts: 12
    Options
    Put in aerobics-general. That's what I put it as.
  • my8kidsmom
    my8kidsmom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh 170lbs and work as hard as possible in Zumba (I do all the intense versions of the moves)...according to my body media armband I burn 650 calories. Hope that is helpful....
  • christenapanzone
    christenapanzone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used "dancing" for my Zumba class. I usually burn around 415 calories.
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i put mine in under the light/med dancing..
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Use "high impact aerobics". That is what I did until I got my heart rate monitor. I found it was pretty close to the real calorie burn.

Your size and intensity make a difference in what you burn, but I am 5'5" 207lbs and burn between 650-720 in the hour per my Polar FT4 HRM.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You have to factor in age, height, weight & the heart rate. Invest in a heart rate monitor with chest strap. Polar & Timex has them. You can search heart rate monitor or HRM on this forum and alot of info will come up regarding them.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i weigh 133 pounds @ 5'5 and my HRM says i burn anywhere from 600-650 calories for 60 minutes
  • JLBenton
    Options
    Really? High impact aerobics? FABULOUS! I've been using 'dancing, aerobic, twist, belly-dance' (or something to that effect) and let me tell you, as a 245# lass, it's most disheartening to leave the floor after 45 minutes looking like I've been caught in a typhoon and feeling like I've REALLY REALLY accomplished something, only to have my exercise tell me that I've only burned approx 400 calories. That seemed like such a bummer! I've been trying to find a Zumba calculator online to get a better idea, but have fallen short. Anyone able to point a gal in the correct direction?
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You have to factor in age, height, weight & the heart rate. Invest in a heart rate monitor with chest strap. Polar & Timex has them. You can search heart rate monitor or HRM on this forum and alot of info will come up regarding them.

This. I know it's expensive, but it's the best way to go.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was using high impact aerobics before my HRM. Then I found with HRM it was more like running! The last time I did it was 546 an hour. I'm 5'2" and 144 lbs.
  • beck733
    beck733 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank u!