Sugar!!!!

Options
sars_68
sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
Can anyone tell me roughly how much sugar we should have daily?

I eat a lot of fruit and just an apple and a banana takes me over the limit I've been set on here!

Confused!

:noway:

Replies

• ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was just reading some posts in the archives about this because I was just as confused.
    I guess some people don't count the "healthy sugar" in fruits/veg, and milk, but others do. I don't really have an answer, but want to hear others!
  • mama_mia3
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure either and I've just started this myself, BUT I would think there would be a difference between natural sugars found in fruit and sugar, sugar like what we would physically ADD to food (like coffee or cereal or in addition to fruit like strawberries)?

It's good that you eat alot of fruit!!! If you like to add sugar to foods I highly recommend Truvia...it's a hell of alot better tasting that Splenda an it's not chemically made. Truvia is a natural sugar extracted from a plant leaf and it's awesome.

I'll be following this topic because you've asked pretty good question!!
  • jimrogers
    jimrogers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've learned to ignore that.

Mainly I focus on the calories, fat, sodium, and then getting enough protien and fiber. If all of those are close to to where they should be, I'm good (I do take a multivitamin too).

I don't think it's possible to keep your sugar under because of the fruit. I don't worry about it.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    It's not the fact that the sugars in fruits and vegetables are better for you. It's the fruits and vegetables themselves are better for you. A small apple may have the same amount of sugar and carbs as a few teaspoons of sugar, but with the apple you'll get the vitamins and other nutrients.

But when it comes to sugar, whether it's fructose, glucose, other any other type of sugar... sugar is sugar is sugar. I try to avoid sugar as much as possible, but I almost always go over my sugar content for the day. I eat a lot of plain Greek yogurt or drink Kefir which has a lot of sugar in it.

It really sucks how fast it adds up.

I have the same problem with the sodium. I almost always go over that allowance.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your health goals are. I don't care at all about the sugar count on here. I try to not eat much with added sugar, but I LIKE fruit and it helps me stay on track. I'm not diabetic, so I don't believe I need to be too concerned. Some people are more concerned about it, though, and I am sure they will have good explanations for you. I focus more on meeting my fiber and protein goals. And you can change the amounts listed under goals by choosing to customize. Then set amouts that work for you.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    its hard to say. it depends on so many factors. However, it you are really concern about sugar, you should consider limiting the amount of fruit you eat that have a high sugar index i.e. bananas When you decide to fruits high in sugar, then sprinkle some cinnomon. Cinnomon will help to control your insulin levels.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've half-given-up looking at the sugar results - at the end of the day whether they're from fruits or sugarcane or broken-down-complex-carbohydrates, it ends up as glucose that's either burnt or stored.

So if I'm watching my calorie intake, and my sugar result is "too high", I'm pretty-much-guaranteed to be down on one of the other things like carbs or fat. There's no point me eating more fat and less sugar to "compensate" -- the end result will be the same.

If you're diabetic or almost-diabetic then sugar intake is more of an issue (because you body doesn't secrete enough insulin to absorb it, or it secretes it but your body's cells don't respond to it, often because of leptin (secreted by fat cells - so if you reduce fat cells, you reduce insulin resistance, and improve blood glucose control) ... anyway, for the vast majority of us I'd suggest not worrying about it.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Im a big fruit eater and was in the red every day by lunch with 2 pieces. I just shut that count off and changed it to fiber instead for my own sanity.
  • ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your health goals are. I don't care at all about the sugar count on here. I try to not eat much with added sugar, but I LIKE fruit and it helps me stay on track. I'm not diabetic, so I don't believe I need to be too concerned. Some people are more concerned about it, though, and I am sure they will have good explanations for you. I focus more on meeting my fiber and protein goals. And you can change the amounts listed under goals by choosing to customize. Then set amouts that work for you.

Yes I like this. Everybody is different, and if you aren't diabetic or pre-diabetic then don't worry. I am still going to try and keep it low. The other threads suggested switching to unsweetened almond milk as it has less sugar. I personally haven't tried it. Maybe I will get some for my coffee.
  • jimrogers
    jimrogers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im a big fruit eater and was in the red every day by lunch with 2 pieces. I just shut that count off and changed it to fiber instead for my own sanity.

Perfect!
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! Very helpful.

I'm not diabetic and I don't put extra sugar in anything and I'm not a sweet foods eater. So I think I will just take the 'Marie' approach and turn the sugar bit off! I'll keep focussing on the calories instead!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options

Yes I like this. Everybody is different, and if you aren't diabetic or pre-diabetic then don't worry. I am still going to try and keep it low. The other threads suggested switching to unsweetened almond milk as it has less sugar. I personally haven't tried it. Maybe I will get some for my coffee.

I LOVE unsweetened vanilla almond milk- saves me tons of calories in cereal and smoothies!