portion control dinnerware

Options
I am looking to purchase some plates, bowls, cups that are sized for APPROPRIATE portions of food and drink. I don't like the ones with the separated slots that look like toddler plates. I just want portion control plates that are plain, simple and CHEAP! =) Anyone else out there have any luck with this?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I've seen them with pics on them of the food you're supposed to eat. Maybe just buy smaller plates like an 8" instead of 10" . My Mom has these plates that I swear are 14" around. I'm always grabbing a smaller plate at her house so it looks like I actually have food on it. :)

check this one out. Talk about something you only use at home. :)http://theportionplate.com/
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    http://www.slimware.com/default.asp

there are some here that people are recommending.. wish they had more designs but it's a start!
    i agree, i rather not eat on a toddler plate lol. I have some large dinner plates and salad plates as well. i've started using just the salad plates so my plate looks fuller and that satisfies me!
  • jessimacar
    Options
    When I'm having something good and not healthy, I use the smaller plates. I think they're meant for dessert, but I find it helps me feel like I'm eating a lot, because the plate is full. :)
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    I've been using the paper plates. They're smaller in size and cheap (and less dishes to wash :))
  • bethvandenberg
    Options
    OMG I just goggled inexpensive portion control plates and your post on MFP was at the top of the list under the sales ads. :) Wow I'm impressed and to think I know you. At the top of the goggle list.

Anyway these are cute and fairly cheap.
    http://colorfuldishes.com/index.php?cPath=420
  • snugglepuss123
    Options
    hi have u thought about making ur own using a ceramic paint u could personalise it :smile:
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OMG I just goggled inexpensive portion control plates and your post on MFP was at the top of the list under the sales ads. :) Wow I'm impressed and to think I know you. At the top of the goggle list.

Anyway these are cute and fairly cheap.
    http://colorfuldishes.com/index.php?cPath=420

OMG ! Google is freakin' scary... wow!
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use a salad plate for dinner lots of nights and I use a bowl meant for dips or individual desserts (similar to a ramekin) for my cereal or yogurt in the morning. It helps!
  • bethvandenberg
    Options
    hi have u thought about making ur own using a ceramic paint u could personalise it :smile:

what a great idea! Take your girls and go make a set of four dinner plates. If you check out that one link I sent with the word cheap in it you can steal their idea of sizing. :) Sometimes the entertainment books have coupons for those places. Then you can get the color etc that you want.

What a smart girl this one is. :)
  • watkinsc
    Options

what a great idea! Take your girls and go make a set of four dinner plates. If you check out that one link I sent with the word cheap in it you can steal their idea of sizing. :) Sometimes the entertainment books have coupons for those places. Then you can get the color etc that you want.

What a smart girl this one is. :)

Totally cute Idea, however I do not have an artistic bone in my entire body! I like the idea of using salad/dessert plates though!
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I use a salad plate for dinner lots of nights and I use a bowl meant for dips or individual desserts (similar to a ramekin) for my cereal or yogurt in the morning. It helps!
    I do this too occassionally. It does help.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been using the paper plates. They're smaller in size and cheap (and less dishes to wash :))

And killing the environment!!! Eeeep!!!

I love the ceramics idea!! What a great idea!
  • watkinsc
    Options
    thanks for all the ideas guys! I'm thinking a trip to Target for some plain glass cup sized bowls, 9' plates and 8 oz glasses... ought to do the trick!