does the camera lie???

Options
Am I the only one who sees something different when they look in the mirror then what photograph takes? LOL I HATE looking at pictures of myself, i dont seem as fat when i look in the mirror...IDK.... Either way its time to change the image in BOTH!

Replies

• lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    Options
    totally agree
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I totally get that! There are days that I go "Hells yeah, I look great!" in the mirror, but if I see a pic of myself the same day I cringe. I wonder what that is? Llike you said though, before too long we'll like BOTH images!
  • MzCampbell71
    MzCampbell71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that feels this way! When I looked at myself in the mirror it doesn't seem so bad, and then when I see a picture someone just took of me on their camera phone. I'm like who is that! Thanks for this post.
  • eylbrown
    Options
    I agree too.. I see pictures and don't see what I see in the mirror.. not sure why that is.. and I ask people if what they see in the picture is what they see when they look at me and they say only sometimes.. I am totally not photogenic and sometimes don't recognize myself..
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    It's why I hate when others take pictures of me. Call me vain. But I see this body in the mirror every day... I really don't need additional visuals. I KNOW I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT! ;)
    I take my own photos with a cam so my kids have something during this not-happy-with-myself period. ;) Amazing how you can lift, twist and angle everything just right before hitting the button. HA!
  • bethann1976
    Options
    I completely concur!!! lol.
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose they say the camera adds 10lb! ;) But really, I feel the same. I look at photos where I think I look good on the day, and then think "wow did I really look THAT bad?"
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    Me too me too! In fact I was just talking to a friend about that.
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    I used to be a professional photographer, and I can tell you without hesitation that it is not you - it REALLY IS the camera!! The angle of the camera, the lighting and even the expression of the person being photographed can add visual pounds. With just the angle of the camera, I can make a 110 lb girl look obese, and a 300 lb woman lose 50 lbs!

Don't let anyone tell you that a camera is objective - they're lying!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    The image caught by the camera is greatly effected by angle and position. I have a cooking blog and I take photos of food all the time and it never ceases to amaze me what the camera catches that I never say. So, yes cameras are basically a-holes.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I used to be a professional photographer, and I can tell you without hesitation that it is not you - it REALLY IS the camera!! The angle of the camera, the lighting and even the expression of the person being photographed can add visual pounds. With just the angle of the camera, I can make a 110 lb girl look obese, and a 300 lb woman lose 50 lbs!

Thank you! That really does make me feel a WHOLE lot better!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I totally get that! There are days that I go "Hells yeah, I look great!" in the mirror, but if I see a pic of myself the same day I cringe. I wonder what that is? Llike you said though, before too long we'll like BOTH images!

Big ditto. Even after losing weight/gaining muscle, it is rare that I find a picture of myself that I like. :ohwell:
  • Serenity79
    Options
    I hate having my photo taken. My sister always teases me when she goes to take my photo because she says I always pull 'the same pose'. What she doesn't know is that I do that because I'm trying to minimise how many chins are going to show up in the photo and make my stomach look a little slimmer than it really is! Catch me candid or at a different angle and it's just urgh! When I look at myself in the mirror I know I'm not that 'gorgeous' or anything but I don't ever think I look like I always end up looking like in photos, it always comes as a bit of a shock.
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    Hey, if you get them done professionally - tell that photographer to raise the camera as far as the tripod will go! The higher the camera, the better you'll look!
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    So, yes cameras are basically a-holes.

AMEN! :laugh:
  • bonvechiomommy
    bonvechiomommy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! Some days I look in the mirror and I do not think I look that bad, then I see a picture of myself from "that day" who was I kidding lol
    Ugh :embarassed:
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Exactly! I worked in a photography studio and know exactly how to pose to look skinnier LOL My scuba picture is a prime example haha :P
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh I suffer from this too! What's worse is that my boyfriend is a photographer and so likes....no....LOVES...taking pictures of me. And I think he would agree when I say that out of 10 photos only 1 or none of them are usable because I am either shying away from it or I am pulling a funky face as a deterrence...lol.

I am of the belief that mirrors and cameras lie (sometimes scales do too!!), but the fit of your clothes doesn't.
  • audreybeaner
    Options
    Hey, if you get them done professionally - tell that photographer to raise the camera as far as the tripod will go! The higher the camera, the better you'll look!

I used to work in a photo study and I've done this several times. You learn little tricks along the way to make people look pounds lighter. I myself love taking self portraits for this reason...I EASILY knock off 20-30lbs by finding the right angle.

Regardless...Couldn't agree more with the statement that cameras are a-holes...they're also liars. Haha.
    Audrey